Studying in Canada as an International Student

So i'm planning to continue my studies in Canada, my home country is part of ASEAN (saw some specific scholarships, so this may help)

For TL:DR read the bolded text.

I have done some 'research' and i'm going to send an email to the Canadian Embassy for my country, and i also decided to ask here because LTT is a Canadian company 

I figured there may be experienced people here.

I'm currently studying in a 4 year Vocational school ( got about 1 year left),  it's a Vocational High School for Chemical Analysis how i got here (and why i'm not gonna apply for jobs) is another story, i'm still trying to know which of the studies i should take, and chemistry might not be one of them as i am more adept at physical work, which helped with some specific laboratory techniques but the one thing i'm quite fond of this school is the Microbiology (Analytical instruments are a close 2nd but still, chemicals though).

The biggest reason I decided to post in a forum is to read other people's experience, not just hear the ones that made a Youtube vid. You could be a local who was involved in some way or you could be the one experiencing it.

Is there an online resource that is dedicated to find the available studies of all available universities or educational intitutes, where else should i look what to avoid.

(I would like to hear your experiences)

I have looked into some of the available resources, and the first idea is i will get a part time job when i get there, as my mother said they (my parents) could fund my study as the cost of studying in Canada was suprisingly not that far from the costs of my brothers studying here ( i have 2 brothers, one of them is still studying).

I have tried looking for scholarships, but i or my school doesn't fit their criteria, my grades dropped in year 1 to 2.5 due to personal reasons (mainly unresolved trauma i guess, or dysthymia). It's easier for me to overcome my shotcomings by physically being active, so i probably wouldn't perfrom well with a desk job.

I'm close to my 2nd older brother, and he's studying IT so i asked if he would like to continue his studies in Canada aswell (his english is also good), and he said he would after working for a year and the reason i added this is because LMG is a Canadian tech company he has a better chance at a scholarship.

(I talked with my mother first cause she is more reasonable to talk to, and an FYI she's not my birth mother, and as i type this that might be the reason she could be more 'true' with her discipline i guess)

48 minutes ago, AlbertEs said:

So i'm planning to continue my studies in Canada, my home country is part of ASEAN (saw some specific scholarships, so this may help)

For TL:DR read the bolded text.

I have done some 'research' and i'm going to send an email to the Canadian Embassy for my country, and i also decided to ask here because LTT is a Canadian company 

I figured there may be experienced people here.

I'm currently studying in a 4 year Vocational school ( got about 1 year left),  it's a Vocational High School for Chemical Analysis how i got here (and why i'm not gonna apply for jobs) is another story, i'm still trying to know which of the studies i should take, and chemistry might not be one of them as i am more adept at physical work, which helped with some specific laboratory techniques but the one thing i'm quite fond of this school is the Microbiology (Analytical instruments are a close 2nd but still, chemicals though).

The biggest reason I decided to post in a forum is to read other people's experience, not just hear the ones that made a Youtube vid. You could be a local who was involved in some way or you could be the one experiencing it.

Is there an online resource that is dedicated to find the available studies of all available universities or educational intitutes, where else should i look what to avoid.

(I would like to hear your experiences)

I have looked into some of the available resources, and the first idea is i will get a part time job when i get there, as my mother said they (my parents) could fund my study as the cost of studying in Canada was suprisingly not that far from the costs of my brothers studying here ( i have 2 brothers, one of them is still studying).

I have tried looking for scholarships, but i or my school doesn't fit their criteria, my grades dropped in year 1 to 2.5 due to personal reasons (mainly unresolved trauma i guess, or dysthymia). It's easier for me to overcome my shotcomings by physically being active, so i probably wouldn't perfrom well with a desk job.

I'm close to my 2nd older brother, and he's studying IT so i asked if he would like to continue his studies in Canada aswell (his english is also good), and he said he would after working for a year and the reason i added this is because LMG is a Canadian tech company he has a better chance at a scholarship.

(I talked with my mother first cause she is more reasonable to talk to, and an FYI she's not my birth mother, and as i type this that might be the reason she could be more 'true' with her discipline i guess)

I don't have much to say other than check the regulations on working. Many counties do not allow working while on a student visa. 

16 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I don't have much to say other than check the regulations on working. Many counties do not allow working while on a student visa. 

I saw some mention that you could work part time with a permit, or work summer jobs, but with the fact i have never been in Canada i would probably study first then part time job and then maybe summer job instead of part time job.

are your parents rich or are you really smart for a scholarship? if not its probably not worth it. I dont remeber how much my international friends pay but compared to local students its way more. im talking about 20-30k cad a year vs 6-10k.

you can work up to 20 hours - minimum wage in Ontario is 15, im not sure about other provinces.

you also have to factor in the cost of living, while living with your parents you dont pay rent, dont pay for food or commodities. (apartments are not cheap)

you say your depressed, living alone will most likely make you more depressed  

really best option is for you to go somewhere more local.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

2 hours ago, adarw said:

you can work up to 20 hours - minimum wage in Ontario is 15, im not sure about other provinces.

On a student visa? 

On 3/3/2022 at 12:54 PM, adarw said:

are your parents rich or are you really smart for a scholarship? if not its probably not worth it. I dont remeber how much my international friends pay but compared to local students its way more. im talking about 20-30k cad a year vs 6-10k.

you also have to factor in the cost of living, while living with your parents you dont pay rent, dont pay for food or commodities. (apartments are not cheap)

you say your depressed, living alone will most likely make you more depressed  

really best option is for you to go somewhere more local.

My parents aren't rich, but the costs of studying locally is also expensive but they could still manage, also they want me to study outside of our home country cause the majority of teachers in Uni are arrogant, and its more like "if you can't do it, that's a you problem" which both of my brothers experienced in two different universities. Also because the job opportunity here isn't great, there are more people than jobs.

And about the depression, i am doing better now, i found out the roots and how to deal with them, though its taking some time because my father would not acknowlege it and help me, i told my step mother and she's helping me abit, but alot of it stems from before my step mother came, so i'm dealing with it. I still have about a year left of school (and maybe several months of work if i do well on the internship cause its a vocational school)

I should add that in year 1 of me enrolling in this school i lived alone, which probably helped fish out my mental problems, then covid hit ofcourse and online just halted that which is also one of the reasons for my falling grades (did well in junior high school, was able to gradp the material quite fast)

RANT

Oh and my dad has a really bad habit of KNOWING something, but not dealing with it, like he knew i was lazy since like kindergarden and would do well if i focused, but never told me until my grades dropped :s. (I was aware what i was doing but never asked for other people's opinion due to how i was treated long ago)

The less harmful example is the fact that i mentioned "why are the ethernet cables just dangling there" he just waved it off, and when the house was mostly finished, he had to call in workers to make a hole so a socket could be put for the cables.

(Oh and he is a diabetic but still dared to drink alcohol, my mother is obviously furious when he does this, he did it again when he got covid for the 3rd time, i was still fine, though my father was being reckless not wearing a mask when he got out of his room so my mother got sick aswell so she also isolated and kept her distance to me, and well a week has passed and they aren't sick anymore.

Yeah he could be a better father, but he doesn't want to, he says he does, but his actions speak otherwise, so i really can't stay with him if i want to improve, the majority of locals here have a stagnant mind, my father thinks this but doesn't understand he is also being quite stagnant by not actually fixing himself, i just keep getting more depressed if i look at him for too long, so its inevitable i got depressed, living alone just sped up my realisation because he pampered me too much when i was little and complains that i'm not proactive, i don't remember what my biological mother did when i was little, she did care for me up until 7 years ago, its just a fucking shit show here) i could add more but i have overdue assignments to catch up on.

Edited by AlbertEs
typo

Honestly the education here system is wack and not really promoting growth for alot of people (alot if it is like copy pasting shit and some of the teachers aren't helping either)

I'll come back to this later

• 5 months later...

You can't just compare the cost of education, but the cost of living in Canada, which is often astronomical (especially since most of the good schools are in areas.

Transportation, housing, telecommunications, food, healthcare are all expensive.  

The Canadian higher education system has a good reputation from the past but in many cases it isn't great or as good as it could be or was.  Many colleges and universities are now geared to attracting as many people, especially international students who pay more, and providing the minimum standard.

There are a few schools in Canada that are actually good for a select number of programs, so if you are going after a world class program (like CS at Waterloo) and you can make the financial numbers work, it might be a good idea, but I would seriously think about this and don't just buy the hype from the industry of consultants and companies who want to make this seem easy, attainable and worthwhile.  They just want your money.