Seagate barracudas annoying noise

ArcticApe

Hello!

I've seen on my own and others seagate barracuda HDDs, theres an annoying click sound that happens when the disk is idle for a while. Does this occur on ironwolf disks?

I think it happens on all drives where they write a small file every once in a while to keep them alive for longer. The best option for less noise would be either an SSD or 2.5" 5400 RPM drive. The HDD would still make noises but not nearly as loud as the big ones in my experience.

Also are you sure it's a clicking noise? Mine doesn't do that idle, only when writing. I do sometimes hear it make a lot of noise idle, like it's a giant fan. Some drives have headparking which might be what you mean, and you can't really avoid that.

45 minutes ago, ArcticApe said:

Hello!

I've seen on my own and others seagate barracuda HDDs, theres an annoying click sound that happens when the disk is idle for a while. Does this occur on ironwolf disks?

Yes they do.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7