2gb home internet switch

etandyou
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

Is this AT&T? If you're in bridge mode then you'll need to go [AT&T Box] >> Router >> Switch, otherwise if you're having the AT&T box do the routing and not pass the public IP to your router then you can put a switch in the middle. There are some cheap-ish 2.5GbE switches on the market you can use.

Hi, 

So my ISP just introduced 2 gigabit Internet in my neighborhood (yes very nice to have this problem) and I can actually take advantage of this in my line of work but it's creating a few network headaches to implement. Luckily work is willing to pay for the upgrade but I'm stuck by myself on equipment. I currently run the WAN into my AmpliFi Alien Router then a cat5e cable to my office 5 port Netgear 1 gigabit switch. My question is is there anyway I could run the WAN to a 2.5 gigabit switch before my router in order to get full speeds in my office? Or is my only option to replace my router and are there any options for a less power-hungry router than a full dream machine?

Thank you!

Is this AT&T? If you're in bridge mode then you'll need to go [AT&T Box] >> Router >> Switch, otherwise if you're having the AT&T box do the routing and not pass the public IP to your router then you can put a switch in the middle. There are some cheap-ish 2.5GbE switches on the market you can use.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

18 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yes that's a good solution. I can accept the ISP (frontier) Router see if it has a bridge more or turn off it's wifi. ISP router >> Switch >> old router. It adds a device to my network but should be a far less power draw than corporate equipment.

Thank you!

25 minutes ago, etandyou said:

Yes that's a good solution. I can accept the ISP (frontier) Router see if it has a bridge more or turn off it's wifi. ISP router >> Switch >> old router. It adds a device to my network but should be a far less power draw than corporate equipment.

Thank you!

This is what I'm using now for a couple 2.5GbE devices off my main switch and it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XWK4HNT

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: