CPU usage 100%, but gets low as soon as i start taskmanager.

Proffskon
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Might wanna try running malwarebytes if you haven't already. Very suspicious behavior.

Hi! 
Since i upgraded my setup i have poor performance, i tried some virus cleaning and installing M2 and more RAM, and two weeks ago i change my chassi and new CPU cooling so everything was in top shape.
I thought i could count on taskmanager to show me correct stats, but when i changed chassi i wanted to check more on the temperature and fans speed so i had HWMonitor always on.
I started to se sometimes that the CPU was on 100% and that was slowing the PC down. But when a start taskmanager to see what process that is taking that power, everything just cools down to a normal state.
(se picturers, taked just seconds apart)

I´ve searched for something that could help me but i get the result like, check taskmanager, clean for virus or some other troubleshooting to se with applications that is bugged. But nothing really helps and fells like this i s the same problem.
I will reinstalling windows se if that helps me, but anyone who got any more suggestions? except buying a new processor.. 

To summarize: Bad performance, CPU is at 100%. As soon as i start taskmanager everything goes back to normal CPU and performance.

HWMonitor.JPG

Taskmanager.JPG

i don't fully understand what is your question.

RTX 3090 playing escape from tarkov, of course that i7 will climb up to 100% of usage and drop down when you put the task manager in focus.

The thing is, you see those 100% percent spikes, sustains? in other tasks than playing?

Try other things than task manager like process monitor or process hacker, this is behavior that's typical from things like miner malware.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

46 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Might wanna try running malwarebytes if you haven't already. Very suspicious behavior.

Ok, i keep trying searching malware.. i think its something like that cuz its hiding it self by showing fine result when taskmanager is running

mdecima: No tarkov has nothing to do with it, it can go to 100% without running anything special and when i start taskmanager it goes down 

Can you try disabling windows defender for a test if that changes anything? I was noticing a similar pattern recently, apparently windows defender detects when the system is idle to perform some background scans, causing 100% CPU load. But even just starting task manager is enough activity for defender to detect the system is no longer idle and stop the background scan, so as soon as I started task manager, everything went back to normal. 

10 hours ago, Proffskon said:

Ok, i keep trying searching malware.. i think its something like that cuz its hiding it self by showing fine result when taskmanager is running

mdecima: No tarkov has nothing to do with it, it can go to 100% without running anything special and when i start taskmanager it goes down 

Sounds very MINER like... I had the same issue downloading some no-no games and got caught with this too.

However I can't remember how I fixed it, possibly by cruising through known directories (I'm pretty familiar with Appdata/hidden folder locations examples where it might be) Might of just been Malwarebytes that cured it, I just can't remember fully.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

13 hours ago, jaslion said:

I think that did it, i really dont know why i didnt think about that, long time ago i hade virus and malware issues.. But one search and cleaning and no 100% yet 🙂
Thanks everyone for the tips! 

1 hour ago, Proffskon said:

I think that did it, i really dont know why i didnt think about that, long time ago i hade virus and malware issues.. But one search and cleaning and no 100% yet 🙂
Thanks everyone for the tips! 

Yeah probably a hidden miner style program.

15 hours ago, Alvin853 said:

windows defender detects when the system is idle to perform some background scans, causing 100% CPU load. But even just starting task manager is enough activity for defender to detect the system is no longer idle and stop the background scan, so as soon as I started task manager, everything went back to normal.

That would be what I'd have said too. My laptop keeps wramping up its fan when it is running Spotify and if I'm not using it for longer(like 10 minutrs or so)