Possible Dying Network Card

SvenTheDragon

Hello, 

I think my network card might be dying but I'm not 100% sure.

So basically, my pc is allergic to 5g but not 2.4g and idk why

I got my network card around June 2020 and its been working great up until the past few months . The first problems I noticed were occasional disconnects from my WIFI which would happen once a day or so. The disconnects slowly became more frequent until I couldn't complete a speed test on speedtest.net.

I would have bought a new network card already if this happened on both 5g and 2.4g, but my pc does just fine when its connected to a 2.4g signal. 

So I'm wondering if its a setting on windows 11 or something that makes my pc unable to use 5g connections. I only started to notice these problems a few weeks after I installed windows 11. 

pc specs just incase it might help with something:

i5-10600k

MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS

MSI 3060 ti

16gb Crucial Ballistix ddr4 cl15 3000mhz memory

Thanks, 

-SvenTheDragon

What network card are you using and where is it installed?

It's possible it's a driver issue with that card, or a regular hardware failure. 2.4GHz and 5GHz do require different radios so it's theoretically possible for only one to fail, though I've never heard of it before

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1(Centerpiece) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Portable) --Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700 XT + Galahad 240 + 16GB + Hyte Revolt 3

Are you sure its your network card and not your router?  I had a similar Issue to this with my router were it would drop out daily, so I purchased a new one and put all my network gear on a UPS and have not lost internet connection ever since.  Also if you think its you network card you can always buy a USB dongle and connect that way they are very cheap and that will help you diagnose your issues. 

11 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

Are you sure its your network card and not your router?  I had a similar Issue to this with my router were it would drop out daily, so I purchased a new one and put all my network gear on a UPS and have not lost internet connection ever since.  Also if you think its you network card you can always buy a USB dongle and connect that way they are very cheap and that will help you diagnose your issues. 

I dont think its my router because all of my other devices work just fine but ill see if i can find a dongle. thanks!

1 hour ago, SvenTheDragon said:

I only started to notice these problems a few weeks after I installed windows 11. 

This makes be believe is it is some kind of driver issue. I would start looking around there, download the latest from the manufacturer and install it, see if that helps.

3 hours ago, NaClKnight said:

What network card are you using and where is it installed?

It's possible it's a driver issue with that card, or a regular hardware failure. 2.4GHz and 5GHz do require different radios so it's theoretically possible for only one to fail, though I've never heard of it before

im using an ASUS PCE-AX3000 and its installed in the bottom most slot under the gpu

I tried the drivers but it still doesnt like 5g. 

2 hours ago, Catsrules said:

This makes be believe is it is some kind of driver issue. I would start looking around there, download the latest from the manufacturer and install it, see if that helps.

yeah thats what i was thinking but i tried it and that didnt work either