Is GTX 1060 6GB this weak? <..<

GrizzlyBear0

Is it normal that my gtx 1060 6gb is unable to run 60 fps on new games even on low settings i literally just opened dying light 2 as a test on lowest settings with my cpu/gpu overclocked and nothing

Don't get me started on other games pretty much any good game like dying light 2 i'm only able to play them on low settings and sometimes even then i can hardly hit 60 so i cant really play them.

Pretty much for the last 1 year i've had to run some games on low quality like god of war was fine with original settings but it was 40-60 fps most of the time elden ring has some stutter problems Kena game was also fine but again low settings otherwise rip my fps.

These are my current specs

Motherboard- Z370 D3

Ram- 32GB

Cpu-I5 8400

Gpu-Gtx 1060 6GB

275 SSD

1TB HD

And my pc is fully optimized and everything is updated even bios and everything is properly setup and still it just sucks that i might have to upgrade/get a new pc now.

Is my gtx 1060 6gb that weak?

I've had my pc for about 4-5 years

It's a ~$250 card designed for 1080p gaming from 5.5 years ago. It was a very popular card for a reason and it had a good run but it's outclassed by modern AAA games. Compared to the Dying Light 2 system requirements, it's better than the minimum requirements card (1050 ti) but well below the recommended RTX 2060/Vega 56 class. 

Your CPU is also less powerful than the recommended.

I don't know what kind of miracles you expect. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

It's a ~$250 card designed for 1080p gaming from 5.5 years ago. It was a very popular card for a reason and it had a good run but it's outclassed by modern AAA games. Compared to the Dying Light 2 system requirements, it's better than the minimum requirements card (1050 ti) but well below the recommended RTX 2060/Vega 56 class. 

Your CPU is also less powerful than the recommended.

I don't know what kind of miracles you expect. 

Yeah i thought as much gonna have to get a new pc gonna have to get lucky and find a buyer for this current one and buy an op laptop that's worth the price that will last for 10 years or sm

4 hours ago, GrizzlyBear0 said:

Yeah i thought as much gonna have to get a new pc gonna have to get lucky and find a buyer for this current one and buy an op laptop that's worth the price that will last for 10 years or sm

No gaming laptop will "last" anywhere close to 10 years. They are in general a poor investment.

For the price you would pay for a high-end laptop, you could put an 8700 (maybe an 8700k but you didn't mention your cooling solution) and a 6600 XT-class GPU in your system and get at least a couple more years of gaming out of it. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 hours ago, GrizzlyBear0 said:

LOL "OP laptop that will last for 10 years" I can't stop laughing at this. I have an Area 51M R1. 9700K and RTX 2080. I never use it, it's a fucking paperweight. Overheats if you look at it sideways, performance that degrades the longer you use it and battery life of a potato. Just don't bother, they're overpriced and you're not gonna get "10 years" out of it. Ever.

I also have an MSI GT780-DXR. It's a perfect example here. It's from about 2010 or 2011 or so, has a Sandy Bridge i7 2670QM and originally had a GTX 570M. Couldn't run shit after 2015 or so, I had to pull the 570M out and shove a 770M in. And then a 970M. And now it's a paperweight too since it no longer runs and even before it died it had strange issues with stuttering and having to tweak it to run the 970M properly.

Just don't.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

On 2/27/2022 at 6:05 PM, GrizzlyBear0 said:

No gaming laptop even the highest of the highest end one will last 10 years. Even a desktop can't do that.

My msi gt 70 with a i7 3630qm and gtx 675mx could barely even run games in 2016 only 4 years after it came out and that was one of the highest end laptops you could get.

If you want something that lasts a long time a desktop is the way to go any gaming oriented laptop has a shelf life of about 5 years before it really shows it's age hard.

That and your pc is capable with a few upgrades that will be less than a low end gaming laptop and be a HEAP better.

Your board accepts up to 9th gen cpu's a 8700(k) or 9900(k) are still VERY good gaming cpu's. Then for a gpu you can quite easily get a 3060, 6600 or 6600xt.

Might also want to get a bigger ssd stuff is getting quite ssd heavy nowadays.

But before any of that what is your psu (the model not just wattage and efficiency) and what is your case?

Might expect a fraction better but not much. Think the comments above are largely accurate. 

Unless you have money to burn or incredibly cramped for space then I wouldn't bother with a gaming laptop. I had one many years ago which cost a fortune and was only mid range at best. 2 years later and it hardly run anything in terms of games. 

Unfortunately unless you have been living under a rock for a a few years then you will know GPU prices are shocking at the moment, although very slowly coming down but you get very little for $500. Worth watching a few budget builds on LTT and some of the youtube channels (are we allowed to mention them on here?)

Personally I think the 1060 has had its day but might still be okay for some older titles and newer but on low settings which takes away the wow factor of PC gaming. Having just bought a ps5 I honestly think that its a better investment then buying a budget PC and cutting corners everywhere. Just my opinion though. 

Picked up my PS5 for just over MSRP and its pretty good. Not close to the 3070 but still decent. Sorry going off on a tangent here a bit!

20 hours ago, jaslion said:

Even a desktop can't do that.

I'm not sure I fully agree with that statement. A modern desktop can make it 10 years with only a graphics card update if it was a high end system to begin with. I only upgraded my 3930k 3 weeks ago and that was 10 years, close to the day, since I bought it (bought it early Feb 2012). That CPU/RAM/Mobo combination was able to play everything I threw at it at 60+ fps and many things at 60+ fps 4k.  Again that's with replacing the video card only, but a video card is far cheaper than a full system. I just gave it to a friend, and he is very happily gaming with it now.

100% agreed on laptops though. In contrast to my desktop, my laptop 2012 feels barely useable. Laptops do not last as long due to chips that optimize power over performance, and that's even before accounting for the fact that none of the components can be replaced. IMO very few people should go for gaming laptops. They're more expensive for less performance than desktops. They're also bad as laptops; they don't last as long, they're big & heavy, their battery life is bad and they can get uncomfortably hot.

3 hours ago, Greyspectre said:

I'm not sure I fully agree with that statement. A modern desktop can make it 10 years with only a graphics card update if it was a high end system to begin with. I only upgraded my 3930k 3 weeks ago and that was 10 years, close to the day, since I bought it (bought it early Feb 2012). That CPU/RAM/Mobo combination was able to play everything I threw at it at 60+ fps and many things at 60+ fps 4k.  Again that's with replacing the video card only, but a video card is far cheaper than a full system. I just gave it to a friend, and he is very happily gaming with it now.

100% agreed on laptops though. In contrast to my desktop, my laptop 2012 feels barely useable. Laptops do not last as long due to chips that optimize power over performance, and that's even before accounting for the fact that none of the components can be replaced. IMO very few people should go for gaming laptops. They're more expensive for less performance than desktops. They're also bad as laptops; they don't last as long, they're big & heavy, their battery life is bad and they can get uncomfortably hot.

I'm talking about you buying a really high end desktop right now and then only upgrading ram and storage just like in a laptop. That was the point I was trying to make which indeed wasn't clear enough.

So lets say in 2012 you made the most powerful desktop out there with consumer parts. That would be a 3770k + gtx 680 OR 7970 ghz edition. The gtx 680 would have had trouble with aaa games as soon as 2016 when it's 2gb of vram really started hurting it and a couple years later it would even be a problem in a lot of indie titles. The hd 7970 would be able to push a bit longer but by 2020 it was also just done done 1080p low 60 fps wasn't happening anymore. Thats still a 8 year run for a 1080p max settings card at launch to a 1080p all low one. Which is honestly amazing but als

o not something that happens too often.

So at best that original system lasted 8 years BUT you bough the highest end stuff you could get. With a gpu upgrade somewhere in between it would still be going to this day all be it becoming borderline to use since the 3770k is only an 8 thread part and games are really starting to overwhelm it now. Especially when you have basically anything else on in the background.

Now try that with a laptop and you'd have to have bought 2 highest end devices at least and the last one would already be feeling very long in the teeth.

4 hours ago, Greyspectre said:

They're also bad as laptops; they don't last as long, they're big & heavy, their battery life is bad and they can get uncomfortably hot.

Up till 2016 I would have agreed but nowadays you can get full performance high end laptops with actually pretty good battery life and good cooling. You saw this shift when nvidia pushed for having as close to desktop performance as possible with the 10 series. Of course first time most laptop manufacturers shoved those things into their existing housings for thing but more powerfull devices and well that didn't end up working with going to high (like the xps 15 that is still overheating to this day :p).

Still at best expect 5 years. These things apart from hardware being as it is will also wear down physically over  time.