Any tutorial that fit these specifics

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,
1 hour ago, Linus No Beard said:

arch linux with kde plasma and dual boot on separate disks and grub is does not replace the windows boot manager

i have looked at YouTube but have not found any one tutorial with all of these 

Assuming a UEFI system

1) Unplug Windows drive (not essential but good practice if you're unsure how to install grub on a specific drive)

2) Install Arch & Grub as needed (ArchFi will help)

3) Once Arch is running and you're at Desktop shut down

4) Reconnect Windows drive

5) Boot back into Arch

6) Use KDE Disks to mount the Windows drive

8) From terminal run "sudo pacman -S --needed os-prober" and install it

9)* From terminal run "sudo nano /etc/default/grub", look through the file for "#GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false" and uncomment it (remove the #)

10) From terminal run "sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg", Grub will detect the Windows drive as part of its scan and create a Windows entry in the Bootloader

11) Unmount the Windows drive since KDE Disks creates a permanent mountpoint is /etc/fstab

* If the command doesn't exist just add it in without the #

For an MBR system it won't be too different but I don't know the commands off hand.

arch linux with kde plasma and dual boot on separate disks and grub is does not replace the windows boot manager

I mean you could always just find individual tutorials for each, then troubleshoot with them all until you have a working system.

Just now, KhakiHat said:

I mean you could always just find individual tutorials for each, then troubleshoot with them all until you have a working system.

i dont want to destroy my windows install messing around with linux forever also i dont have unlimited time

1 minute ago, Linus No Beard said:

i dont want to destroy my windows install messing around with linux forever also i dont have unlimited time

You could try to build out a system in a virtual machine, but fair point. It would probably take longer to get going, but at this rate of not finding anything useful...

Because tutorials usually don't cover specific combinations that aren't special in the grand scheme of things. You'd have to look up a guide for KDE on Arch and one on dual booting Linux from two drives and combine the knowledge yourself.

15 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

Then Arch may not be the best choice to start with as that is not really a grab and go distro. What brought you to the decision of Arch?

If you don't want Linux messing with the Windows disk in any way, and since you mention separate disks, I would go the route of just unplugging every disk except the one you want to install linux on (assuming we're talking about a fresh drive here of course. If not then make sure Windows' bootloader isn't on the one you're installing  linux on). Then afterwards you should be able to set the boot order in the BIOS or select the drive you want to boot from in there.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

17 minutes ago, tikker said:

Because tutorials usually don't cover specific combinations that aren't special in the grand scheme of things. You'd have to look up a guide for KDE on Arch and one on dual booting Linux from two drives and combine the knowledge yourself.

Then Arch may not be the best choice to start with as that is not really a grab and go distro. What brought you to the decision of Arch?

If you don't want Linux messing with the Windows disk in any way, and since you mention separate disks, I would go the route of just unplugging every disk except the one you want to install linux on (assuming we're talking about a fresh drive here of course. If not then make sure Windows' bootloader isn't on the one you're installing  linux on). Then afterwards you should be able to set the boot order in the BIOS or select the drive you want to boot from in there.

i use it on my laptop just haven't set it up in a bit and i want to put it on my main pc

1 hour ago, Linus No Beard said:

Assuming a UEFI system

1) Unplug Windows drive (not essential but good practice if you're unsure how to install grub on a specific drive)

2) Install Arch & Grub as needed (ArchFi will help)

3) Once Arch is running and you're at Desktop shut down

4) Reconnect Windows drive

5) Boot back into Arch

6) Use KDE Disks to mount the Windows drive

8) From terminal run "sudo pacman -S --needed os-prober" and install it

9)* From terminal run "sudo nano /etc/default/grub", look through the file for "#GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false" and uncomment it (remove the #)

10) From terminal run "sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg", Grub will detect the Windows drive as part of its scan and create a Windows entry in the Bootloader

11) Unmount the Windows drive since KDE Disks creates a permanent mountpoint is /etc/fstab

* If the command doesn't exist just add it in without the #

For an MBR system it won't be too different but I don't know the commands off hand.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)