MSI Ventus OC 2070 Super cooling help

Bones822
Go to solution Solved by Frenky,

Sounds to me something is wrong with the cooler of your GPU if it's still at 100c with aftermarket paste and pads.. are you sure you put it back on correctly? Have you tried messing with the fan curve?

There are 2 good solutions though:

Have you tried undervolting? If not you definitely need to try this. Search on youtube for tutorials. It's really easy to do and you can get really amazing results. Highly recommended! All you need is MSI afterburner.

You can also look at the Morpheus II. It's an aftermarket cooler. It's a bit expensive and you need to buy fans for it as well, and requires some work but it's a great product. Will work fine with a 2070, guaranteed to solve your cooling problems.

Hello,

I've been having trouble cooling my GPU for a while now. Idle temps seem fine, but if I hop on to Civ 6, HWInfo 64 reports my GPU hotspot temps at over100C.

I've reapplied thermal paste, using hydronaut, and replaced the stock thermal pads with thermal grizzly's pads, and the problem is the same.

As far as I know, the GPU fans seem to work fine, and the rest of the temps in my PC seem fine (meshify C with front foam removed, 2 120mm Noctua s12A PWM fans for front intake/ 1 for rear exhaust).

If anyone has some advice, I would love to hear it! I just want to take care of my computer.

Sounds to me something is wrong with the cooler of your GPU if it's still at 100c with aftermarket paste and pads.. are you sure you put it back on correctly? Have you tried messing with the fan curve?

There are 2 good solutions though:

Have you tried undervolting? If not you definitely need to try this. Search on youtube for tutorials. It's really easy to do and you can get really amazing results. Highly recommended! All you need is MSI afterburner.

You can also look at the Morpheus II. It's an aftermarket cooler. It's a bit expensive and you need to buy fans for it as well, and requires some work but it's a great product. Will work fine with a 2070, guaranteed to solve your cooling problems.

Thanks so much for responding! I'm fairly certain I reinstalled it properly, but I haven't checked.

The other ideas seem good though, so I'll be sure to look into them. 

31 minutes ago, Bones822 said:

Thanks so much for responding! I'm fairly certain I reinstalled it properly, but I haven't checked.

The other ideas seem good though, so I'll be sure to look into them. 

Just wondering, at what percentage are your fans spinning when the card is at 100c? 

16 hours ago, Bones822 said:

Looks like it gets to 82-84%

Okay well make sure to look into undervolting. It sounds scary but really isn't. It should solve your problem.

21 hours ago, Bones822 said:

Hello,

I've been having trouble cooling my GPU for a while now. Idle temps seem fine, but if I hop on to Civ 6, HWInfo 64 reports my GPU hotspot temps at over100C.

I've reapplied thermal paste, using hydronaut, and replaced the stock thermal pads with thermal grizzly's pads, and the problem is the same.

As far as I know, the GPU fans seem to work fine, and the rest of the temps in my PC seem fine (meshify C with front foam removed, 2 120mm Noctua s12A PWM fans for front intake/ 1 for rear exhaust).

If anyone has some advice, I would love to hear it! I just want to take care of my computer.

Are the thermal pads used the same thickness as the stock ones?

52 minutes ago, JobinJames said:

Are the thermal pads used the same thickness as the stock ones?

They are fairly close. 

1 hour ago, Frenky said:

Okay well make sure to look into undervolting. It sounds scary but really isn't. It should solve your problem.

Hey, thanks again for the advice. I followed a tutorial and it worked like a charm!

I also took apart and re-reapplied thermal paste, and that helped a bit.

Seeing hotspot temps of 72c-80c at the maximum now.