Recreating simple Ubiquity network (everyone forgot logins).

AndersWSP

About 3 years ago I took the wrong call, and ended up helping brother-in-law setup a small network in a concert/standup venue.

The gear he supplied:

Ubiquity Edge Router PoE

Ubiquity NanoStation M5

Took us, (mostly me), a few hours but I rigged the nano station (powered over Ethernet) up as a wireless access point, and the Edge Router as a switch.

A few sound mixers, a nice audio pult were rigged with Ethernet. Phones/Tablets were connected over WiFi as remotes. This worked for 3 years. Then the passwords he could definitely remember were lost to time.

Was kind of sick, and didn't want to stay for another concert about to start, packed up the difficult gear and went home.

Just now, after resetting AP/Router I realize how much of a pain older Ubiquity gear is.

I can configure PoE to power the access point.

I can configure AP or Router separately but can never ping between them.

Can connect phone to the AP, seemingly but it doesn't actually work.

I can setup DHCP on the router with a small range reserved for static audio gear.

As such, I'm asking for backup. Was it always this difficult and I've simply gotten worse?

Worst case, I deliver it back and ask him to hire someone more expensive.

Best case, I'll learn something useful.

2 hours ago, AndersWSP said:

As such, I'm asking for backup. Was it always this difficult and I've simply gotten worse?

The Ubiquiti hardware you're using is from the EdgeMax/UISP line. Some have even gotten 'legacy' status. Interestingly, these are actually hardware intended for WISPs and small ISPs, so more than some experience is necessary to get them set up properly.

The UniFi line of Ubiquiti products is intended to be more user-friendly... for advanced home/SOHO setups or even enterprise. I still use a hybrid of EdgeMax and UniFi at one site to save on cost and to keep things simple.

When I was in university and needed internet access at our dorm from the fringes of the main campus' WiFi coverage, I set up a NanoStation M2 that was linked to a Loco M5. It was my introduction to Ubiquiti, and I remember it being a challenge to get right at the time. But I've seen how the products have evolved and UniFi is easier to get working.