Any suggestions to improve mesh wifi?

CephDigital

Hi there!

So here's my current setup: Linksys MR9000 router, 3 WHW03 nodes (Living Room, Hallway & Upstairs) and my ISP is Virgin Media M500 (500+ down, 36 up). The connection goes Hub 3 -> MR9000 -> Living Room -> Upstairs & Hallway

So if I'm in the room with the router, I get roughly 500mbps on wifi, which is freaking awesome, but the nodes get around 150 (the hallway is the furthest away and gets about 80). The most important node is the upstairs node which is where I work and wired directly into the node along with my PS5.

Is there anyway to improve the speed of an individual node? I'd like to get above 300mbps on the upstairs node since that one would benefit the most from the higher speed. I've heard of powerline adapters and was wondering if I could use these to boost the nodes performance.

It's not what you want to hear, but you went with a WiFi 5 system. 300-500Mbps is a best case scenario with direct line of sight. As soon as you start going through walls and floors, it's going to drop precipitously. Mesh helps, but you still need each node to receive a good signal, in the first place.

If this is something you just bought, I'd return it and get a WiFi 6 system. You'll get better coverage with that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

3 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

It's not what you want to hear, but you went with a WiFi 5 system. 300-500Mbps is a best case scenario with direct line of sight. As soon as you start going through walls and floors, it's going to drop precipitously. Mesh helps, but you still need each node to receive a good signal, in the first place.

If this is something you just bought, I'd return it and get a WiFi 6 system. You'll get better coverage with that.

I've had it for a while now, was just looking for something that could help improve its speed.