New Build, Ryzen 5 3600 being weird? Need some tips or a pointer.

Go to solution Solved by BobyTheDragon,

Alright, Been a little while but have an update on this.

So the Ryzen 5 3600 is "dead" or broken in such a way where the MSI Motherboard doesn't like it. Asked the people I got the new motherboard off to test it and see if its a bad motherboard, If not I presume a dead CPU. They tested it with similar hardware and a known working Ryzen 5 3600 of their own, They got right to windows without issues. Ordered a Ryzen 5 5600X in the end and booted fine with the same hardware. 

How weird, I now have a CPU that only works in one motherboard just fine. But got my new build up and going now so I'm happy. Thank you all for the help!

It seems like I cant win, So I was hoping someone on the forms might have a good idea on what's happening.

Recently got my hands on a Ryzen 5 3600 second hand. Using a family pc I managed to test to make sure the CPU booted and stressed test it to make sure it was stable and that the CPU wasn't broken. 
After confirming the CPU worked as expected. I have been gathering new parts over the past few weeks to build my new main PC. Something I've been putting off for a year now.

The final build is:
Ryzen 5 3600 cooled by a Noctua NH-D15S

16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz (Actually have a 4 GB ADATA stick since I tested these and found them to be faulty. So they are being RMAd)
MSI Mag B550 Mortar WIFI
MSI RX 480 8GB
Cooler Master 450 watt PSU

However... Attempting to boot the PC with this configuration gives me a black screen. And the EZ LEDs indicate a VGA issue.
I've tested multiple GPUs with no boot (RX 480, GTX 960, RX 550 LP). I've flashed the BIOS with the latest. I've thrown in a 3200G from the family PC and that booted fine with no problems straight to BIOS.
For some reason the Ryzen 5 3600 works fine in a Asus Prime A320m-e, But stealing the RAM and GPU from the family PC and putting it in the new build with the Mortar gives me the same VGA results, Yet once again the 3200G boots fine with any configuration. The 3200G will output video through all dedicated GPUs tested (Not using IGP)

The only three things I can think of is
- The CPU is somehow faulty and the Asus board does not care.
- The MSI motherboard is somehow faulty and does not care about the 3200G.
- The Cooler Master cant provide enough power to the 3600 (The Family PC has a EVGA 600 BR). This was tested. EDIT 1 at bottom states results.

Could anyone give me some helpful tips? Maybe I'm missing something super obvious here. I don't want to keep throwing money at this build as its starting to already go over my planned budget.

EDIT 1 - PSU TEST: To test the PSU theory I had. I have tried to run the MSI Mortar and Ryzen 5 3600 with the EVGA 600 watt PSU. This resulted in the same black screen. So I don't believe it could be a PSU failure or being under powered for the job.

EDIT 2 - Memory: Completely forgot to state the memory but this doesn't seem to be the cause of the issues as I have tried other memory sticks.

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

Are any of the pins bent or damaged because this is a unusual problem and it is probably a cpu problem or It could be something else.

Quote me for the answer and please Mark As Solution if I solved your problem

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

5 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

Are any of the pins bent or damaged because this is a unusual problem and it is probably a cpu problem or It could be something else.

Checked the CPU pins multiple times, Cant see any bent pins. Or crud stuck between them that could be short circuiting.

Just to confirm, when you say the 3200G boots, are you booting that off its IGP, or with one of those dedicated cards?

Just now, Acewing said:

Just to confirm, when you say the 3200G boots, are you booting that off its IGP, or with one of those dedicated cards?

Ah sorry, Ill edit the post to indicate this but. The 3200G boots using all dedicated cards (Monitor is getting an output from the cards and not the IGP)

1 minute ago, Marshall212 said:

Ah sorry, Ill edit the post to indicate this but. The 3200G boots using all dedicated cards (Monitor is getting an output from the cards and not the IGP)

Sorry, I just wondered if there might be a PCIe issue or something
But that's clearly not the case 
It's like all the components are working on their own but not together 
That's a pretty strange situation indeed 

I suppose one more thing to check is, if possible, try that EVGA PSU as well. 
Not because 450W isn't enough, but just in case there might be some issue with that particular Coolermaster PSU.

1 minute ago, Acewing said:

Sorry, I just wondered if there might be a PCIe issue or something
But that's clearly not the case 
It's like all the components are working on their own but not together 
That's a pretty strange situation indeed 

I suppose one more thing to check is, if possible, try that EVGA PSU as well. 
Not because 450W isn't enough, but just in case there might be some issue with that particular Coolermaster PSU.

In interest while I've been waiting for replies. I tried booting with the EVGA PSU on the MSI Mortar and still no luck... Its a very strange situation indeed.

Just now, Cr33ps said:

Did you keep it in a good place, esd (electrostatic discharge ) can kill a cpu.

The CPU was kept in a plastic AMD cpu holder I kept stored in an anti-static bag. I don't think this could be the case as the CPU works perfectly fine with the Asus motherboard.

2 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

This is now turning to the bios side, what exact version is it on?

7C94v19, I don't see any previous BIOS revisions that could indicate the removal of support for the Ryzen 5 3600, Ryzen 5 3600 is supported with 7C94v10 which seems to be the initial release of the motherboard.

What Asus board are you using it seems like a problem in the PCB or the bios for sure.

EDIT: Do you have a 4801 bios?

Edited by Mark Walter

24 minutes ago, Mark Walter said:

What Asus board are you using it seems like a problem in the PCB or the bios for sure.

EDIT: Do you have a 4801 bios?

Asus Prime A320M-E was reassembling it to check BIOS ver which is reported as 5222

EDIT: Keep in mind this is not the main pc. I borrowed this board to make sure the Ryzen 5 3600 was working to begin with (Which it worked fine with)

Have you got another display to plug it into, I had a similar issue, I read on a forum and I think Jay2cents did a video on it as well, I had an x570 Strix it would trigger the monitor initially then I would just get a black screen then no signal and the white VGA light on, I plugged into another cheap monitor and boom it works, plugged back into the original monitor it worked.     

the thread I read was here 

9 minutes ago, dave6018 said:

Have you got another display to plug it into, I had a similar issue, I read on a forum and I think Jay2cents did a video on it as well, I had an x570 Strix it would trigger the monitor initially then I would just get a black screen then no signal and the white VGA light on, I plugged into another cheap monitor and boom it works, plugged back into the original monitor it worked.     

the thread I read was here 

What the fudge, What a strange fix for that person... Definitely worth a try at this point. I have plenty of random monitors (Even a CRT... If that works I guess I'm going old school with recent hardware haha).

It's late for me though so I'll definitely test that out tommorow. Will read through any other replies in 9 or so hours.

13 minutes ago, Marshall212 said:

What the fudge, What a strange fix for that person... Definitely worth a try at this point. I have plenty of random monitors (Even a CRT... If that works I guess I'm going old school with recent hardware haha).

It's late for me though so I'll definitely test that out tommorow. Will read through any other replies in 9 or so hours.

I read it and thought WTF, but my pc wouldn't boot so I thought how bad can it get, all you need to do is to get it to boot once,  then it will work on any monitor, I will see if I can find the jay vid for you but it seems only to be an issue with Asus motherboards    

I have tried every gpu, every video cable and every monitor I had on hand and I still am unable to produce a video signal. Either im very unlucky and have a dead motherboard or there is something broken on the Ryzen 5 3600 that the Ryzen 3 3200G does not use.

What even more weird is the 3200G isn't a supported CPU according to MSI. Yet I can boot with it just fine without an issue. 

I'm going to put the project on hiatus and possibly buy a new with warranty 5600G once I can gather the funds. If its still dead then I can say the motherboard is dead and RMA it. If it works I must have gotten unlucky with the second hand 3600 and just take the hit (I don't have anyway to get a refund for it). I cant think of any more ideas to get the system to post.

EDIT: Well, guess when I say "take the hit" its not that much of one. Guess I can throw it into the family PC and give them a boost since it just... works fine in it haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, Been a little while but have an update on this.

So the Ryzen 5 3600 is "dead" or broken in such a way where the MSI Motherboard doesn't like it. Asked the people I got the new motherboard off to test it and see if its a bad motherboard, If not I presume a dead CPU. They tested it with similar hardware and a known working Ryzen 5 3600 of their own, They got right to windows without issues. Ordered a Ryzen 5 5600X in the end and booted fine with the same hardware. 

How weird, I now have a CPU that only works in one motherboard just fine. But got my new build up and going now so I'm happy. Thank you all for the help!