GPU Opinion

avenirr

Hi, Ive been using a gtx 950 SC for the last 4-5 years and it has been working great for me. I obviously cant play games at 4k, but any game I have wanted to play I can pretty much play it at enjoyable fps and 1080p. I really don't have much reason to upgrade now, but figured might aswell look around. I am not looking for anything hardcore as this 950 with my 4 years of using it has been very good (idk how, 950s are not even really good- I get 100+ fps in most games at medium). I am thinking of getting a 3gb 1060.userbenchmark comparison says its over 100% better than my current 950 so is this a decent swap? I dont mind upgrading again in a few years as its not bank breaking to get a new gpu every couple years. I was just wondering if $190 (including shipping) + a 1060 3b (barely used) is worth it for me. I think it is, but with how crazy the market is right now, i see ones going for 200 after auctions on ebay (i constantly get it sniped away and have lost by $2 multiple times) and see multiple others breaking $300. Ive found a few on FB marketplace that offer purchase protection so would there be a downside to purchasing one covered by it? Ive given up on ebay due to getting sniped even after bidding in the last second. Just would like opinions as ive had this 950 since I first started playing games 4-5 years ago and havent bought any other one. I dont feel like spending a ton right now because tbh, I dont play games as often as I used to. Id rather just get something that works much better than my current one like the 1060, and be fine for a bit. My current gpu is a gtx 950 2gb and this one would be a 1060 3gb, so a huge difference in the fps im used to. As I said before, Ive played any game Ive wanted to at good fps currently. For example, skyrim at 1080p WITH high enb shaders and a ton of mods and still maintain above 70 fps. Youd think a 950 would barely be able to run many highly rendered games, but it keeps up. I know a 950 is bad now compared to most others, but it doesnt seem that way to me as It still holds up pretty well with any game that I play. I use it with my i5 9600k. Any opinions, Thanks! 

PC Part Comparison is inaccurate and it is where people can make mistakes when buying new hardware. A GTX 950 has only 2gb of Vram and a GTX 1060 has only 3gb of Vram but is still good. I want to know how much a RTX 3050 8gb goes for in your region.

Quote me for the answer and please Mark As Solution if I solved your problem

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

There is no point in "upgrading" to a 5.5 year old card which has an increasingly insufficient amount of VRAM. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

There is no point in "upgrading" to a 5.5 year old card which has an increasingly insufficient amount of VRAM. 

What is your opinion on a RTX 3050 because it seems to suit their needs?

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

7 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

PC Part Comparison is inaccurate and it is where people can make mistakes when buying new hardware. A GTX 950 has only 2gb of Vram and a GTX 1060 has only 3gb of Vram but is still good. I want to know how much a RTX 3050 8gb goes for in your region.

even if its slightly inaccurate which most people say its almost right but sometimes off, even a 70% increase (not 110%). is really good for what I would need right now. A 3050 is 5x the price of what I said and I also said I wasnt planning to pay a lot since I dont play games that often

13 minutes ago, Middcore said:

upgrading in the sense that I have a current 950, is technically upgrading, yes? Like i mentioned, the 950 is holding up and I just want something marginally better as I barely play games. I dont mind using a 1060 for a year or two then upgrading to a current gen, but for now, theres no point in going for a 500-1000 gpu when a weak 950 has been fine. like i replied before, even if its almost half of what userbenchmark said, a 70% increase (website says 110, regardless). seem really worth for the 190 price atm. Plus in the end, ill have an extra 1060 after upgrading to throw into another build and probably recoup some of the costs. 190 isnt a lot but seems worth for how much i really play games. 

7 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

Ok, the price seems very high, what about a RX 6500XT?

I am in the US so everything is "normal" pricing. A Powercolor fighter amd radeon rx 6500xt 4gb gddr6 is around $270 on amazon

1 minute ago, AvenHere said:

I am in the US so everything is "normal" pricing. A Powercolor fighter amd radeon rx 6500xt 4gb gddr6 is around $27 on amazon

and my bad, i used userbenchmark not pc part picker. 

1 minute ago, AvenHere said:

I am in the US so everything is "normal" pricing

I am in Australia an RTX 3090 starting price is AU $5000

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

4 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

I am in Australia an RTX 3090 starting price is AU $5000

yea, as of now, there isnt much worth in spending over 250 from what ive experienced

5 minutes ago, AvenHere said:

upgrading in the sense that I have a current 950, is technically upgrading, yes? Like i mentioned, the 950 is holding up and I just want something marginally better as I barely play games.

My recommendation is that the 1063 is not worth it given its borderline obsolescence, still-inflated price, and your statement that the 950 still performs well enough in the games you barely play. 

Also Userbenchmark is trash. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

My recommendation is that the 1063 is not worth it given its borderline obsolescence, still-inflated price, and your statement that the 950 still performs well enough in the games you barely play. 

Also Userbenchmark is trash. 

do you have a few recommendations for mid range cards that would be worth upgrading to? 

44 minutes ago, AvenHere said:

Hi, Ive been using a gtx 950 SC for the last 4-5 years and it has been working great for me. I obviously cant play games at 4k, but any game I have wanted to play I can pretty much play it at enjoyable fps and 1080p. I really don't have much reason to upgrade now, but figured might aswell look around. I am not looking for anything hardcore as this 950 with my 4 years of using it has been very good (idk how, 950s are not even really good- I get 100+ fps in most games at medium). I am thinking of getting a 3gb 1060.userbenchmark comparison says its over 100% better than my current 950 so is this a decent swap? I dont mind upgrading again in a few years as its not bank breaking to get a new gpu every couple years. I was just wondering if $190 (including shipping) + a 1060 3b (barely used) is worth it for me. I think it is, but with how crazy the market is right now, i see ones going for 200 after auctions on ebay (i constantly get it sniped away and have lost by $2 multiple times) and see multiple others breaking $300. Ive found a few on FB marketplace that offer purchase protection so would there be a downside to purchasing one covered by it? Ive given up on ebay due to getting sniped even after bidding in the last second. Just would like opinions as ive had this 950 since I first started playing games 4-5 years ago and havent bought any other one. I dont feel like spending a ton right now because tbh, I dont play games as often as I used to. Id rather just get something that works much better than my current one like the 1060, and be fine for a bit. My current gpu is a gtx 950 2gb and this one would be a 1060 3gb, so a huge difference in the fps im used to. As I said before, Ive played any game Ive wanted to at good fps currently. For example, skyrim at 1080p WITH high enb shaders and a ton of mods and still maintain above 70 fps. Youd think a 950 would barely be able to run many highly rendered games, but it keeps up. I know a 950 is bad now compared to most others, but it doesnt seem that way to me as It still holds up pretty well with any game that I play. I use it with my i5 9600k. Any opinions, Thanks! 

Something like a rx 5600xt is a decent mid range gpu, if you can find it for a decent price. Even a (somewhat ancient) rx 580 would be a large improvement over your current gpu.

9 minutes ago, steelo said:

Something like a rx 5600xt is a decent mid range gpu, if you can find it for a decent price. Even a (somewhat ancient) rx 580 would be a large improvement over your current gpu.

well a powercolor fighter rx6500xt is for $270 on amazon right now and is possible but is that a good brand? I am unfamiliar with AMD cards and dont know if I should be sticking with nvidia. I could possible get a msi rx580 4gb OC for around $250. again, userbenchmark is bad, but the rx580 has the same increase in stats as a 1060 so just a bit confused. so a rx 6500xt or 580? 

3 minutes ago, AvenHere said:

well a powercolor fighter rx6500xt is for $270 on amazon right now and is possible but is that a good brand? I am unfamiliar with AMD cards and dont know if I should be sticking with nvidia. I could possible get a msi rx580 4gb OC for around $250. would that be a better choice? 

The 580 is a better choice because on a PCIe 3.0 board like I assume you have if you're using a 950 the 6500 XT's performance will be crippled, and the 6500 XT is in general a terrible product that should not have been brought to market.

However, if you don't have an issue with how the 950 handles the games you currently play, there is no reason to spend money now when if you wait six months to a year your money will probably go much farther.

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

The 580 is a better choice because on a PCIe 3.0 board like I assume you have if you're using a 950 the 6500 XT's performance will be crippled, and the 6500 XT is in general a terrible product that should not have been brought to market.

However, if you don't have an issue with how the 950 handles the games you currently play, there is no reason to spend money now when if you wait six months to a year your money will probably go much farther.

So you think my money would go a lot farther if i waited 6 months? It seems as the prices are going up now all across the board so is it really that big of a price difference from now till then?

14 minutes ago, AvenHere said:

well a powercolor fighter rx6500xt is for $270 on amazon right now and is possible but is that a good brand? I am unfamiliar with AMD cards and dont know if I should be sticking with nvidia. I could possible get a msi rx580 4gb OC for around $250. again, userbenchmark is bad, but the rx580 has the same increase in stats as a 1060 so just a bit confused. so a rx 6500xt or 580? 

Yeah, I forget how crazy the market is right now...

Get whatever gives you the best bang for your buck. I prefer AMD cards, but there is nothing wrong with nvidia either. $250 for a rx 580 is insane...please don't pay that. Many gpu reviews show metrics like 'performance per dollar' they give you a good idea which cards give you more performance for your money.

13 minutes ago, steelo said:

Yeah, I forget how crazy the market is right now...

Get whatever gives you the best bang for your buck. I prefer AMD cards, but there is nothing wrong with nvidia either. $250 for a rx 580 is insane...please don't pay that. Many gpu reviews show metrics like 'performance per dollar' they give you a good idea which cards give you more performance for your money.

Like i mentioned before, i havent dealt with gpus at all but i have been pretty experienced with everything else. If its really the best option to wait, I dont mind waiting and can tank out another 6 or so months. But my question is like i quoted the guy before me, is the market going to go down that much that itd be worth it to wait? Seems like its only getting worse. I also dont want to get a barely better card for hundreds of dollars right now if it would be better to wait a few months. It seems like people were saying wait a few months, a few months ago?

Just now, AvenHere said:

Like i mentioned before, i havent dealt with gpus at all but i have been pretty experienced with everything else. If its really the best option to wait, I dont mind waiting and can tank out another 6 or so months. But my question is like i quoted the guy before me, is the market going to go down that much that itd be worth it to wait? Seems like its only getting worse. I also dont want to get a barely better card for hundreds of dollars right now if it would be better to wait a few months. It seems like people were saying wait a few months, a few months ago?

Unfortunately, nobody knows when the market will be back to normal. Personally, I'd wait it out because this can't last forever. Unless you get extremely lucky, you're probably going to get ripped off right now...

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

Unfortunately, nobody knows when the market will be back to normal. Personally, I'd wait it out because this can't last forever. Unless you get extremely lucky, you're probably going to get ripped off right now...

okay then ill probably do that and wait, thank you. What were gpu prices a year or two ago and how much have they changed? I know they went up a lot, but how much different were the prices. any examples?

if u hold cards for that long I'd get more VRAM than usual. Getting a low amount and just upgrading when you need to doesn't work if you don't upgrade when you need to. 8gb should be easy to get with an rx series.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.