How do I set up a network share without being on the same network?

Hammerboy47

I am trying to connect two computers without having them be on the same network.  I have a network share set up at work and I really like the simplicity of being able to pull files off of our servers.  I have two laptops that will be stored in different locations, but I would like to be able to pull files off of Computer 1 using computer 2 and vice versa.

I would like to accomplish this without using any third-party software if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help!

You need to set up either remote-access software or a VPN. Assuming both machines are behind Internet connections that don't have static WAN IP addresses, you'll need either a dynamic DNS service or a VPN service that uses their own server at a static address for handshaking.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

7 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

You need to set up either remote-access software or a VPN.

Great!  How do I do that?

The VPN sounds promising.  Am I able to do that in Windows and how does that work?

2 minutes ago, Hammerboy47 said:

The VPN sounds promising.  Am I able to do that in Windows and how does that work?

If you're not too familiar with networking, your easiest solution is a zero-config, client side VPN. TailScale has a free personal-use tier, but I haven't used it myself.

https://tailscale.com/

You could also just use TeamViewer, as long as it's just for personal (not for-profit) use.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.