Switch or Router for better LAN speed

bhargavthriler

Hi all,
Current I have a wifi router from tplink AC750 which has a very limit 100mbps LAN speed (reality 12MBps trans speed between machines) 
Now what should I switch to for better LAN comm and speed ? Switch or Router ?

Get a 1 gbps switch and put it between the router and the computers.   One cable between the router and switch, one cable between each computer and the switch, job done.

Transfers between computes will go through the switch, internet will go through the switch to the router.

Switches are no-brains devices, they just switch data packets between ports, so it's more or less invisible to the router and transfers between two computers don't even reach the router.

29 minutes ago, bhargavthriler said:

Hi all,
Current I have a wifi router from tplink AC750 which has a very limit 100mbps LAN speed (reality 12MBps trans speed between machines) 
Now what should I switch to for better LAN comm and speed ? Switch or Router ?

Depends on your budget; I'd say, if you can, get a better router. Both solutions will work either way to solve your problem.

25 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Get a 1 gbps switch and put it between the router and the computers.   One cable between the router and switch, one cable between each computer and the switch, job done.

Transfers between computes will go through the switch, internet will go through the switch to the router.

Switches are no-brains devices, they just switch data packets between ports, so it's more or less invisible to the router and transfers between two computers don't even reach the router.

Sure, but there's two catches:
- if you upgrade the internet plan down the line, you may be limited at that point by the router;

- Wi-Fi 5GHz can get better bandwidth than 100Mbps, so using a switch would keep the Wi-Fi devices connected at slow speed.

Just keep these two things in mind; if you don't care about either, then get the switch.

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04