Laptop suddenly not working with WiFi

Hello everyone,

I've been having this issue lately where my laptop just doesn't show any networks when I open my WiFi settings, even though there are loads of them nearby. I had this problem for a few weeks at one pointbefore, and then it just seemingly fixed itself, before going wrong again the next day. Ethernet works fine.

My friend who knows a lot about IT (but not Windows since he's a heavy Linux user) has a theory that I have a loose WiFi card that is shaking itself sometimes into and out of place, but the 'fixing itself' thing happened while my laptop was on a table completely stationary so I doubt this, although I won't rule it out. I've already tried all the solutions involving windows settings, drivers etc. that I could find on Google, no help. Does anyone know what could be going on? The student accomodation place I live at has an open network and I don't use antivirus because of how it hinders everything with its constant irritating popups and thinking games and the apps I use are viruses and also since I know what I'm doing when it comes to not clicking on dodgy links / buttons, but could I still have got malware in some other way? (Sorry to every cybersecurity guy here, I know I probably just made you slam your face into your desk)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Tried reinstalling your network drivers?

Yes, I had, as well as updating and disabling and re - enabling, no luck. But this time when I opened the change adapter options window my wifi card doesn't even show up! Couldit be dead or something?

Screenshot (67).png

Does it show up in Device Manager?

Does your laptop have a physical switch, control panel, or keyboard shortcut for disabling wireless?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 minutes ago, G4merG3ddon_Dafs said:

Yes, I had, as well as updating and disabling and re - enabling, no luck. But this time when I opened the change adapter options window my wifi card doesn't even show up! Couldit be dead or something?

Screenshot (67).png

Could be dead/loose, but they're usually screwed down to the laptop case/board so that would be hard to cause. Perhaps the little antenna disconnected from the card. How hard would it be to open the laptop and check?

15 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Does it show up in Device Manager?

Does your laptop have a physical switch, control panel, or keyboard shortcut for disabling wireless?

It does, but interestingly with this yellow warning thing on it. Not ssure what it means or what to do about it though. As for physical switches, I've looked and unless I'm blind, no.

Screenshot (68).png

15 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Could be dead/loose, but they're usually screwed down to the laptop case/board so that would be hard to cause. Perhaps the little antenna disconnected from the card. How hard would it be to open the laptop and check?

Opening the laptop is a pain, and even if I did I don't know whether it would be in a visible place (the inside of my laptop is very weird even by laptop standards) or what a laptop network card looks like.

17 minutes ago, G4merG3ddon_Dafs said:

Opening the laptop is a pain, and even if I did I don't know whether it would be in a visible place (the inside of my laptop is very weird even by laptop standards) or what a laptop network card looks like.

It is pretty small, about 2 inches by 2 inches and goes in a slot that looks like a super small PCIe slot. I'd recommend taking it to a repair shop, they'd be able to figure it out

9 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

It is pretty small, about 2 inches by 2 inches and goes in a slot that looks like a super small PCIe slot. I'd recommend taking it to a repair shop, they'd be able to figure it out

Since it shows in Device Manager (but with the warning sign, see screenshot above), is it likely to be disconnected? I would asume you wouldn't see it at all then.

5 minutes ago, G4merG3ddon_Dafs said:

Since it shows in Device Manager (but with the warning sign, see screenshot above), is it likely to be disconnected? I would asume you wouldn't see it at all then.

Disconnected or damaged. Card is working but the antenna has an issue is my best guess

9 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Disconnected or damaged. Card is working but the antenna has an issue is my best guess

Ah thanks then I'll take it to my friend who's good with this stuff