Power supply maybe?

Melon_Wolf1

Im having an issue with my computer where sometimes when i hit the power button  it will take 5-30 seconds for it to actually turn on and fans to start spinning. Today i went to turn it on expecting the same issue but instead i heard a relay click 4 or so times before actually powering on this time. Through the searching on the web the problem seems to be anything and everything though im suspecting a power supply going out as its the only aging part of my PC other than the case. Any ideas on what else it could be? Or is it finally time to grab a new PSU.
Edit(I had unplugged my PSU to check its S/N in-case i needed to file a warranty claim and it booted up no issue with no clicking and instantly? interesting problem)

Edit(the problem persists even after unplugging and re-plugging psu it gives 7 clicks the computer will power up and i don't get any codes anywhere fans and everything spin up to maximum then it just resets and does it again. Sometimes itll boot up normally not really sure what to do other than buy a new PSU and hope that's the issue.
specs are below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x

Motherboard: ASUS B550-PLUS TUF

RAM: 32GB C16 Corsair vengeance

GPU: XFX RAWII 5700XT

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO+

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

Case INWIN GRONE

Edited by Melon_Wolf1
additional info

sorry.. but it sounds more like your mainboard is training something. if you have a local computershop close and ask if they can test your psu on another mainboard? 

or a friends computer...  remember to bring all the original PSU cables. as they are often not interchangeble. 

before you do that. reset your cmos as it sounds like something is rebooting like when you install it first time it will take this long before a post shows. .. but it should train bios and start fast after that. 

19 minutes ago, Robchil said:

sorry.. but it sounds more like your mainboard is training something. if you have a local computershop close and ask if they can test your psu on another mainboard? 

or a friends computer...  remember to bring all the original PSU cables. as they are often not interchangeble. 

before you do that. reset your cmos as it sounds like something is rebooting like when you install it first time it will take this long before a post shows. .. but it should train bios and start fast after that. 

Well whats odd is nothing is turning on like nothing nothing it just sits there for a while then randomly boots up its never done this for the past year or so this is a new thing

1 minute ago, Melon_Wolf1 said:

Well whats odd is nothing is turning on like nothing nothing it just sits there for a while then randomly boots up its never done this for the past year or so this is a new thing

have you upgraded bios latly? or windows patches? . installed win11? 

3 minutes ago, Robchil said:

have you upgraded bios latly? or windows patches? . installed win11? 

no i havent last update would have been a month ago i believe for windows and bios was updated by the store before i installed anything about a year ago now

2 minutes ago, Melon_Wolf1 said:

no i havent last update would have been a month ago i believe for windows and bios was updated by the store before i installed anything about a year ago now

check your windows update install log for that.. 

feature updates can cause havoc to systems.. my system basicaly crapped out until i removed last feature update. then it worked perfect.. updated again and second time around everything worked fine. 

Have you tried checking any of the power supply leads with a voltmeter to see what is happening?

Next step, remove the power supply, remove its cover and look for bulged topped capacitors.

11 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

Have you tried checking any of the power supply leads with a voltmeter to see what is happening?

Next step, remove the power supply, remove its cover and look for bulged topped capacitors.

i can do that later but im going to wait for the new power supply to arrive tomorrow just incase something happens. What would you recommend checking with the voltmeter?

1 hour ago, Melon_Wolf1 said:

i can do that later but im going to wait for the new power supply to arrive tomorrow just incase something happens. What would you recommend checking with the voltmeter?

I'd check the 12 volt or 5 volt leads. Is it starting up and then the voltage dropping out? Is it coming up to the voltage it should or only part way and dropping out?

Before that I'd have the power supply cover off and be doing a visual capacitor check, check for bulged topped capacitors. I'd also be doing a visual check of the motherboard.

6 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

I'd check the 12 volt or 5 volt leads. Is it starting up and then the voltage dropping out? Is it coming up to the voltage it should or only part way and dropping out?

Before that I'd have the power supply cover off and be doing a visual capacitor check, check for bulged topped capacitors. I'd also be doing a visual check of the motherboard.

ill keep that in mind for tomorrow as far as i can tell the psu is "trying" to power on but isnt? i can hear a relay clicking but nothing actually powers up it clicks several times before anything powers up and actually starts turning on

17 hours ago, RollyShed said:

The visual check is the first thing before even switching on a voltmeter.

so an update on the stuff visual check was fine pictures are attached if you're curious. Voltages were also fine on all pins but when shorting the pins to turn on the PSU it still clicks 7 or so times before actually spinning up

20220211_185606.jpg

20220211_185551.jpg

20220211_185542.jpg

Other than a bit of dust on the fan blades it looks perfect. Yes, occasionally a cap goes down without indicting visually but it is far more likely to be something else.

I presume all the caps on the main board look OK too?

Good luck... one of those "curly ones" as we say.

4 hours ago, RollyShed said:

Other than a bit of dust on the fan blades it looks perfect. Yes, occasionally a cap goes down without indicting visually but it is far more likely to be something else.

I presume all the caps on the main board look OK too?

Good luck... one of those "curly ones" as we say.

ya board is fine its an asus tuf board ive never managed to kill one and with the new power supply im not getting the clicking issue probably just some underlying issue which wouldnt surprise me as the power supply is very old well past its warranty date