Ryzen Threadripper Build suggestions?

EXTRADODO

Budget (including currency): 3 million yen (roughly 26,000$)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 3D visualization, Simulation, Rendering, Modeling, A bit of benchmarking for personal satisfaction.

Parts list that I'm thinking right now : Threadripper 3990X / 512GB DDR4 3200MHz / 2 or 4 way SLI of RTX 3090 

- - - 

I talked my way out to get a permission from the company to build Threadripper system for the team.

I'm still hesitating to pull the trigger to buy the parts due to 

1) New 4000 series of threadripper might announce right after I bought it

2) Not sure what Mobo / RAM / SSD / Cooler / Extra Fans combination is the best

3) Not sure if I should use all the budget that I'm allowed

4) Don't have the trust in myself to be able to build threadripper system (Even though I've built "normal" 40+ ATX Builds in recent 2 years)

- - - 

Any parts list suggestions (or talk me out of this) would be a bit of help for me.
Thanks in advance.

Depends on how intensive on CPU your rendering is. A 5950X can easily handle CAD and I would think if you're buying multiple 3090s then this isn't totally CPU dependent. Also, workstation systems aren't that different from "consumer grade" hardware - bigger CPU socket, components are heavier/built better usually but that's pretty much it.

55 minutes ago, EXTRADODO said:

4000 series of threadripper might announce right after I bought it

It'll be 5000 series. 4000 was exclusively mobile APUs. Regardless, the most recent rumor is from December of last year, and claimed a source with a good track record says they're launching March 8. AMD was also supposedly going to announce the new Threadripper parts at CES 2022, though, and that never happened. However, given the supposed launch is a month away, I'd say it's worth waiting just to see if it actually happens or not.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

19 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Depends on how intensive on CPU your rendering is. A 5950X can easily handle CAD and I would think if you're buying multiple 3090s then this isn't totally CPU dependent. Also, workstation systems aren't that different from "consumer grade" hardware - bigger CPU socket, components are heavier/built better usually but that's pretty much it.

We already got 5950X. It's amazing but I thought we could go higher since we already got the budget. (pure luck btw)

10 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

It'll be 5000 series. 4000 was exclusively mobile APUs. Regardless, the most recent rumor is from December of last year, and claimed a source with a good track record says they're launching March 8. AMD was also supposedly going to announce the new Threadripper parts at CES 2022, though, and that never happened. However, given the supposed launch is a month away, I'd say it's worth waiting just to see if it actually happens or not.

Thank you. I thought I should for the next gen too but I'm a bit afraid to wait since AMD didn't give out even a hint of that next gen.

honestly, I'd be calling Puget Systems or looking at a Lenovo P620 workstation before spec'ing something here. Consumer hardware and knowledge only goes so far and there's a ton of nuance to Solidworks vs CAD software vs who knows what else.

If it's for work you will want to get a company to be on hand for repairs and part replacement at a moment's notice.

- at a minimum you should be looking at 2x Sata SSDs for the OS in Raid1 and setting up a VM inside a linux system if you have to run Windows (if windows corrupts or updates wrong you can just restart the VM or revert to a backup image of the VM OS and be back on task since the main OS is still stable and left alone)

- Save the NVME slots for 980 Pros in Raid0 (data sets can get massive to load so speed is your friend)

- Keep a nightly or weekly backup on NAS grade storage drives (preferably on a NAS but local works too)

- RAM, and GPU or Accelerator will depend on the program you are running, a pair of 3090s will be hard to come by, a single 3090 is good but you can also get A6000 or Quatro RTX cards which have more VRAM for more complex simulations or renders.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Threadripper is a ripoff, you can get the same thing for less and/or have extra server features if you go amd epyc, epyc rome (zen2) is decently cheap now on ebay for having a crap load of cores

Only reason i see to go with tr is overclocking but thats pointless for a system like this unless were talking ram oc as that does help quite abit due to infinity fabric speeds, but server boards should also be able to do basic ram oc by setting freq

Have a look at this 7702 64 core, its at a fair price for being a 64 core and if you want to you can run 2 of them instead of only 1 cpu on tr if you really need that much multicore, you can also have a look at epyc milan (zen3) cause for whatever reason amd hasnt updated tr but still has their server stuff on the lastest architecture, good if you need single core but also want high multicore, but do beware that they are really expensive atm cause they are the latest architecture

Boards wise have a look at those asus krpa or giga mz boards, supermicro are cheaper but they come with many inconveniences when used as a workstation, i think theres an sth thread somewhere mentioning these isssues but its something along the lines of really really long boot times and imcompatibility with windows

Rams wise ecc 2400-2666 ram are really cheap for their capacity, id reccomend using 16gb/32gb dimms cause they are pretty cheap

On 2/10/2022 at 11:34 AM, GhostRoadieBL said:

honestly, I'd be calling Puget Systems or looking at a Lenovo P620 workstation before spec'ing something here. Consumer hardware and knowledge only goes so far and there's a ton of nuance to Solidworks vs CAD software vs who knows what else.

If it's for work you will want to get a company to be on hand for repairs and part replacement at a moment's notice.

- at a minimum you should be looking at 2x Sata SSDs for the OS in Raid1 and setting up a VM inside a linux system if you have to run Windows (if windows corrupts or updates wrong you can just restart the VM or revert to a backup image of the VM OS and be back on task since the main OS is still stable and left alone)

- Save the NVME slots for 980 Pros in Raid0 (data sets can get massive to load so speed is your friend)

- Keep a nightly or weekly backup on NAS grade storage drives (preferably on a NAS but local works too)

- RAM, and GPU or Accelerator will depend on the program you are running, a pair of 3090s will be hard to come by, a single 3090 is good but you can also get A6000 or Quatro RTX cards which have more VRAM for more complex simulations or renders.

Thanks but I'm looking forward to build it myself rather then the pre-build ones since this is a rare chance for me to add some experience in pc building.

Would love to try to run Windows on VM but I'm not that familiar with linux.

On 2/10/2022 at 11:41 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Threadripper is a ripoff, you can get the same thing for less and/or have extra server features if you go amd epyc, epyc rome (zen2) is decently cheap now on ebay for having a crap load of cores

Only reason i see to go with tr is overclocking but thats pointless for a system like this unless were talking ram oc as that does help quite abit due to infinity fabric speeds, but server boards should also be able to do basic ram oc by setting freq

Have a look at this 7702 64 core, its at a fair price for being a 64 core and if you want to you can run 2 of them instead of only 1 cpu on tr if you really need that much multicore, you can also have a look at epyc milan (zen3) cause for whatever reason amd hasnt updated tr but still has their server stuff on the lastest architecture, good if you need single core but also want high multicore, but do beware that they are really expensive atm cause they are the latest architecture

Boards wise have a look at those asus krpa or giga mz boards, supermicro are cheaper but they come with many inconveniences when used as a workstation, i think theres an sth thread somewhere mentioning these isssues but its something along the lines of really really long boot times and imcompatibility with windows

Rams wise ecc 2400-2666 ram are really cheap for their capacity, id reccomend using 16gb/32gb dimms cause they are pretty cheap

Thanks for the input but I know the down sides and still want to go with the Threadripper.

Some of the team member use CPU rendering and those 64 cores are not gonna be a waste tbh.

Can't go with EPYC 7702 since those are much more rare than the threadripper ones. (And, to be completely honest, I know nothing about it)

Thanks for the mobo and ram recommendations.

1 hour ago, EXTRADODO said:

Can't go with EPYC 7702 since those are much more rare than the threadripper ones. (And, to be completely honest, I know nothing about it)

They are on ebay, just search and youll find it, theres also epyc 7742 but its pretty much just a slightly higher boosting 7702

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 10:39 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

They are on ebay, just search and youll find it, theres also epyc 7742 but its pretty much just a slightly higher boosting 7702

We don't have Ebay in Japan as far as I know. But there are 2nd hand market like Ebay which I can't put my trust in those tbh.