suggestions for components

tdkid

hello

what are some suggestions you people have for PC components? i know, its a not a "give us specifics of what you are looking for" question but that is because i am not looking for specifics. anything and everything. my mother currently has a computer that is running an i7 2600k with a geforce gt 640 and its working fine for the most part but the monitor that is hooked up to it is about as old as the computer as it only has the VGA cable connection and it has started to fail. so a simple GPU swap probably wont do and would need a new everything. 

EDIT: because some people cant read this first post and realize its just a "what would be a good part" post. here is the current details that i know of the PC

CPU: i7 2600k

GPU: geforce GT 640

i dont know any more than this as my dad didnt tell me anymore than this.

what budget?

Hope my response helps 🙂 

GPU MSI Gaming Ventus OC RTX 2060 CPU Intel Core i5-12600k Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X Memory Crucial DDR5 4800 Storage Western Digital SN850 500gb | PSU Corsair RM650x (2018) | CPU cooler Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Monitor MSI  Mouse Logitech G305 White Keyboard Royal Kludge RK61 (Cherry MX Reds) | Headset Logitech G533 |

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

my mother currently has a computer that is running an i7 2600k with a geforce gt 640 and its working fine for the most part but the monitor that is hooked up to it is about as old as the computer as it only has the VGA cable connection and it has started to fail.

So get a newer monitor? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

8 minutes ago, Michael2 said:

what budget?

dont really have one. looking for components to get suggestions on what you look for. its pretty much not a gaming computer but my mother does like to play some games online like thru facebook.

9 minutes ago, Middcore said:

So get a newer monitor? 

sure. as soon as you tell me where i can find a monitor that has the VGA/DVI connections as most GPUs have gotten rid of them and therefore so have the monitors. tried using a TV which does work as that is what i am using now as my monitor but connecting the pc motherboard to the tv with the HDMI port didnt work.

A lot of motherboards still have VGA ports on them. I would just get something like a cheap 12th gen i3 and H610 or i5 and a B660 with VGA. Don't get an F model because that has no iGPU. Also you will need new memory because newer CPU's don't support DDR3.

For example this B660 with a 12400 should last many years and has a VGA port on the motherboard. This board is better if you have an ATX case. This looks like a decent memory kit to go with it.

Also there are still a lot of modern monitors that support VGA. Mine at least does. See the link Middcore shared for some options.

5 minutes ago, IPD said:

I would try upgrading to at least 10th gen intel, or similar.  GTX 1060 or better.

But you could always look for secondhand from a local PC store and just replace the montior, and keep going until you really brick everything.

Why a 1060 for such light use cases?

I would try upgrading to at least 10th gen intel, or similar.  GTX 1060 or better.

But you could always look for secondhand from a local PC store and just replace the montior, and keep going until you really brick everything.

My workcenter is rife with old monitors that they are getting rid of--all of them with VGA or DVI only.  It can't be that hard to source something VGA in.

25 minutes ago, tdkid said:

sure. as soon as you tell me where i can find a monitor that has the VGA/DVI connections 

Monitors with VGA: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#i=49 329 models currently available for sale 

Monitors with DVI: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#i=67 113 models currently available for sale

Also, adapters exist. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Have particular use case? AAA games or general use? These two cases really will affect the cost of the system I would recommend.

8 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Monitors with VGA: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#i=49 329 models currently available for sale 

Monitors with DVI in its various flavors: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#i=67 113 models currently available for sale

Also, adapters exist. 

yes i know all this but you have to remember that this is for my mother not me. i love my parents but i dont want to constantly be going over to figure out what is wrong when they forgot to turn on the power to it. 

13 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

A lot of motherboards still have VGA ports on them. I would just get something like a cheap 12th gen i3 and H610 or i5 and a B660 with VGA. Don't get an F model because that has no iGPU. Also you will need new memory because newer CPU's don't support DDR3.

For example this B660 with a 12400 should last many years and has a VGA port on the motherboard. This board is better if you have an ATX case. This looks like a decent memory kit to go with it.

Also there are still a lot of modern monitors that support VGA. Mine at least does. See the link Middcore shared for some options.

Why a 1060 for such light use cases?

almost all motherboards as far as i can tell have stopped using the VGA and DVI ports as people want bigger and better graphics which these two cant really supply. i know they are more than capable for the general non gamer as most people are but for the most part they have stopped using them. oh sure the cheaper motherboards still have them but today cheaper means doesnt last as long and you will be replacing it soon.

37 minutes ago, IPD said:

My workcenter is rife with old monitors that they are getting rid of--all of them with VGA or DVI only.  It can't be that hard to source something VGA in.

oh it can be with how the world is today. most of those old montiors your place has are no longer working or working in very poor condition due to all the dust they collect inside where you cant see. 

yes i know all this but you have to remember that this is for my mother not me. i love my parents but i dont want to constantly be going over to figure out what is wrong when they forgot to turn on the power to it. 

Why would they forget to turn on the power to a new monitor any more than they forget to turn on the power to their current monitor? How will building them a whole new system solve the problem of them not understanding technology? Seems to me just replacing the failing display is the least disruptive thing for them. 

23 minutes ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Have particular use case? AAA games or general use? These two cases really will affect the cost of the system I would recommend.

its not for me, its for my mother. will be general use with some games from social media like facebook. so nothing demanding.

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Why would they forget to turn on the power to a new monitor any more than they forget to turn on the power to their current monitor? How will building them a whole new system solve the problem of them not understanding technology? Seems to me just replacing the failing display is the least disruptive thing for them. 

the reason for the whole swap is because the computer is old. is causing some problems like saying the CPU is at 200F with everything looking alright and no reason to be saying anything. but its more that  

the reason for the whole swap is because the computer is old. is causing some problems like saying the CPU is at 200F with everything looking alright and no reason to be saying anything. but its more that  

Your initial post says the system works fine and it's just the old monitor that's failing. Now a dozen posts in you're giving us vague info about the PC overheating. I don't know how anybody is supposed to make meaningful suggestions this way. It feels like you just want an excuse to build your folks' a new system for the fun of it. 

I think the easiest solution would be to change out everything, PC and monitor. That way you don't have to worry about VGA connection. There's a lot of cheap 1080p IPS monitors with the modern connectors like HDMI and DP. I would just go with integrated graphics at this point because they are more than enough for a general use computer.

Here is my recommendation:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-224-XT Basic 76.16 CFM CPU Cooler  ($26.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B460M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S5 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cougar MX330-X ATX Mid Tower Case  ($58.80 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.90 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Sceptre E248W-FPT 23.8" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor  ($139.44 @ Amazon) 
Total: $665.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-02-08 13:20 EST-0500

You can bump up to 1TB NVME if your mom tends to have a lot of cat videos 😄 

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Lee said:

I think the easiest solution would be to change out everything, PC and monitor. That way you don't have to worry about VGA connection.

There is no worry about VGA connection. Monitors with VGA are still readily available. 

1 hour ago, tdkid said:

CPU is hot? Sounds like the only upgrade she needs is a new CPU cooler.

Also, if her PC is generally a bit slow, I am guessing it's on a hard drive instead of an SSD. Get a cheap SSD, use macrium reflect to clone, easy peasy.

The SSD is overall what makes a modern PC fast, and an upgrade to a brand new 12th gen i7 is a lot more cost than she would need to invest for a good experience.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

Your initial post says the system works fine and it's just the old monitor that's failing. Now a dozen posts in you're giving us vague info about the PC overheating. I don't know how anybody is supposed to make meaningful suggestions this way. It feels like you just want an excuse to build your folks' a new system for the fun of it. 

because the first post was supposed to be vague. i just asked what you people would suggest for parts for a new computer. if i wanted to give details on "this, this and this is going wrong" then i would have.

because the first post was supposed to be vague. i just asked what you people would suggest for parts for a new computer. if i wanted to give details on "this, this and this is going wrong" then i would have.

So you intentionally wasted everybody's time. Got it. Another day, another for the ignore list. 

Just now, Middcore said:

So you intentionally wasted everybody's time. Got it. Another day, another for the ignore list. 

you are the one that didnt read the first post entirely so dont blame me. and yes the PC works fine. the running hot is just a software issue not worth dealing with as everything is hooked up correctly in the pc. its just that it is a 10 year old system and my dad was looking at replacement parts for a computer for her. he wanted my opinion as i am more tech savy than he is but i am no wear near the worlds greatest hacker so i came here asking what you would do.

8 minutes ago, tdkid said:

the running hot is just a software issue not worth dealing with as everything is hooked up correctly in the pc.

Hooked up correctly, but the CPU is reading as super hot? Maybe the fan is dying or the thermal paste is dried up. 

Buying a whole new PC sounds like the last thing you should go for.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

the thermal paste might be. i dont think he looked at it so might shut the computer down this weekend and look. i would do it now but i dont live with them and from what he has told me, it sounds to be fine.

4 hours ago, tdkid said:

oh it can be with how the world is today. most of those old montiors your place has are no longer working or working in very poor condition due to all the dust they collect inside where you cant see. 

Nope.  Working 1080p.  Just got slightly bigger ones and without VGA input.

I could probably find a 100% working 1080p monitor with VGA for <$100--shipped--in <5 minutes.  Why is this hard?