Old HDD

ismilehossain

Is it possible to move an older hard drive from an older laptop (Windows Vista) to a newer laptop (HP 14bs017 na) and boot off of it? I had some important data from the older drive and want to move the data.

Thanks.

The newer PC can read the drive, but booting the copy of Windows on it is a crapshoot. (Especially an OS as old as Vista.)

Copying the files off the old laptop while it's booted with its old drive is best. (Either to a flash drive or over the network to the new laptop.) If the old laptop doesn't work anymore, get a SATA to USB adapter and treat it like an external. If you get an external enclosure (instead of just a plug-on adapter), you can use the drive for backups.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

The newer PC can read the drive, but booting the copy of Windows on it is a crapshoot. (Especially an OS as old as Vista.)

Copying the files off the old laptop while it's booted with its old drive is best. (Either to a flash drive or over the network to the new laptop.) If the old laptop doesn't work anymore, get a SATA to USB adapter and treat it like an external. If you get an external enclosure (instead of just a plug-on adapter), you can use the drive for backups.

The old laptop doesn't work anymore because of the gpu. I still have the hdd. Windows doesn't have to work fully. Just enough so that I could boot into it and move all the data. All the drivers don't have to work. Just enough to be usable.

But that's the thing, it might not boot to a desktop properly.

You can certainly try, and it shouldn't damage any of your data, but for your use case I'd put the old drive in an external enclosure.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

But that's the thing, it might not boot to a desktop properly.

You can certainly try, and it shouldn't damage any of your data, but for your use case I'd put the old drive in an external enclosure.

Right, I might try booting it 1st and if that doesn't work, I'll get one of those usb to sata adapters.

Thanks very much.