Dual Drive Cages?

MrJr

While looking over my PC, I noticed that there is a lot of space between the 3.5" HDDs in my Phanteks Enthoo Pro. This got me thinking if maybe I could put a 2.5" SSD above each HDD with no issues? I know these things can be stuck nearly anywhere, but I'm wondering if there are any drive sleds that can house both a 3.5" and a 2.5" at the same time. This would increase my maximum storage from 220TB raw to 268TB raw.

HDs need cooling too, that space allows for air flow. I'm not sure I would want to fill that space in with another drive.

18 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

HDs need cooling too, that space allows for air flow. I'm not sure I would want to fill that space in with another drive.

Fair point. I would assume the SSDs would be spaced a little bit from the HDs themselves (at least in the Enthoo) due to the extra height. On top of that, I would have 2x120mm 149CFM fans pushing air through those cages. I was hoping I wouldn't have to zip tie anything in this rig, but if there are no official cages that support this and there is possible room for cooling, then I guess zip ties will have to do.

2 hours ago, MrJr said:

I was hoping I wouldn't have to zip tie anything in this rig, but if there are no official cages that support this and there is possible room for cooling, then I guess zip ties will have to do.

Why not use some double sided tape, that might look a little nicer than zip ties?

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

Why not use some double sided tape, that might look a little nicer than zip ties?

I would like a more secure mounting system. As I have discovered, adhesives don't seem to do too well in my system. Especially since I would be mounting the drives underneath the housings

1 hour ago, MrJr said:

I would like a more secure mounting system. As I have discovered, adhesives don't seem to do too well in my system. Especially since I would be mounting the drives underneath the housings

Odd usually if you use something like the molding tape or vhb it's hard to get it back off without some heat.

If these SSDs would be underneath, couldn't you just drill a couple holes  for flat screws to screw the SSDs to the bottom? Then attach the 3.5" drives to with screws on the sides like normal? (since there are empty cavities under a 3.5" drive anyways.) Just a thought.

On 2/5/2022 at 8:40 PM, OhioYJ said:

Odd usually if you use something like the molding tape or vhb it's hard to get it back off without some heat.

If these SSDs would be underneath, couldn't you just drill a couple holes  for flat screws to screw the SSDs to the bottom? Then attach the 3.5" drives to with screws on the sides like normal? (since there are empty cavities under a 3.5" drive anyways.) Just a thought.

I'm not 100% comfortable drilling a hole in my system (despite having taken a machining class). If I can swing the zip ties, I'll do that. And when the time comes, maybe I'll drill.

3 hours ago, MrJr said:

I'm not 100% comfortable drilling a hole in my system (despite having taken a machining class). If I can swing the zip ties, I'll do that. And when the time comes, maybe I'll drill.

I meant the drive cage / holder. (Isn't that part removable) Or perhaps I'm not following.