Jellyfin server; is this machine strong enough?

ArcticApe

Hello!

I'm looking to build my own jellyfin server, and was wondering if I can achieve good quality streams with a i7-4790? Alternatively I have an old Radeon HD 5870 laying around if that could boost its performance. Thanks for any advice!

16gb ddr3 ram
SSD boot drive
old WD HDD storage

Depends on what you're after in terms of resolution, number of streams and in-house or remote streaming. My Plex server runs on my old 4690k just fine, because everything can Direct Play. Transcoding 1080p or lower is also not too much of an issue.. If it's in-house streaming where the clients can Direct Play your content then basically anything will do. Transcoding will depend on how many concurrent streams you will plan to have.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I'd take the GPU out to save power. Jellyfin and your CPU both support Intel Quick Sync for transcoding, and you really want everything to direct play as much as possible.

Make sure the database (descriptions, thumbnails, etc) get saved to the SSD. If they're on the hard drive, you'll see them pop in as you browse around in your clients.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.