Heartbleed Bug Hacker Charged by RCMP

JantsoP

The RCMP treated this breach of security as a high priority case and mobilized the necessary resources to resolve the matter as quickly as possible. Investigators from National Division, along with our counterparts in “O” Division have been working tirelessly over the last four days analyzing data, following leads, conducting interviews, obtaining and executing legal authorizations and liaising with our partners,” said Assistant Commissioner Gilles Michaud.

I mean... I tough they fixed that bug already. Or kinda shut it down, and told if the tax return is late, they understand it. So how the hell this happened?

Source: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ottawa/ne-no/pr-cp/2014/0416-heartbleed-eng.htm

Had they been doing for a long time even before the bug was found? Sometimes I wonder how did this prodigies even manage to do this kind of stuffs :/

The bug is fixed, but it was in the wild for two years, and even after they found the issue it took a month to get a fix out for it.

Not to mention that many sites never update their software packages, so even now that there is an update out there is a good chance that a large percentage of servers that have the problem arent fixing it. Working in the software industry ive seen some companies use some ooooold software packs and janky software just because its been working for years and they dont want to deal with upgrading/migrating their systems. And many of the smaller companies without a big IT staff might not even be aware of the issue, or aware that they are affected by it, so never bother updating.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)