Can i run the windows installer directly in windows?

khazad
Go to solution Solved by khazad,

Now i used the Media Creation Tool instead of rufus and it works fine.

I formatted an old laptop that had windows 7 and installed windows 10 x86 instead of x64, now i got the correct version in a flash driver but when i boot from the USB it shows like this, i press any button and it restarts. I've downloaded the iso from rufus, could have it loaded wrong? 

IMG_20220201_220455.thumb.jpg.dbeb6357c1a51cf881c59a8ebc07d0e4.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

make sure it has atleast a 2c-4t cpu like an i3 and 4gb ram, ssd would also be very good cause you know how bloated windows 10 is. If its a crappy amd cpu, pure dualcore, or even worse single core then yea dont even bother and go either linux or windows 7 cause w10 prob wont even run and if it did then performance would suck ass

Assuming you have an i3 and 4gb ram which is pretty much minimum for w10 not to suck ass (unless your hdd is stupidly slow in that case get an ssd aswell) then have a look at this, just copy the commands and once youve run bootsect /nt60 you can mount your iso with something like virtual clone drive and move all the files in the iso to your usb

If w10 is still broken then just use w7, the security bullsht everyone says doesnt matter most of the time, just make sure to have a full backup and not work with confidential/secret data and youll be fine. If you do need security then youll have to use linux

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

make sure it has atleast a 2c-4t cpu like an i3 and 4gb ram, ssd would also be very good cause you know how bloated windows 10 is. If its a crappy amd cpu, pure dualcore, or even worse single core then yea dont even bother and go either linux or windows 7 cause w10 prob wont even run and if it did then performance would suck ass

Assuming you have an i3 and 4gb ram which is pretty much minimum for w10 not to suck ass (unless your hdd is stupidly slow in that case get an ssd aswell) then have a look at this, just copy the commands and once youve run bootsect /nt60 you can mount your iso with something like virtual clone drive and move all the files in the iso to your usb

If w10 is still broken then just use w7, the security bullsht everyone says doesnt matter most of the time, just make sure to have a full backup and not work with confidential/secret data and youll be fine. If you do need security then youll have to use linux

It's a Dell Latitude E6220, it has a i5-2540M and 6gb ram and it has an SSD, I installed the x86 version and it was working fine but i didn't know it was x86 until i checked the windows update, I let it run the updates and rebooted, then selected to boot from the USB and made sure to use the correct flash drive with the x64 iso and this happens.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

Now i used the Media Creation Tool instead of rufus and it works fine.

12 minutes ago, khazad said:

It's a Dell Latitude E6220, it has a i5-2540M and 6gb ram and it has an SSD, I installed the x86 version and it was working fine but i didn't know it was x86 until i checked the windows update, I let it run the updates and rebooted, then selected to boot from the USB and made sure to use the correct flash drive with the x64 iso and this happens.

that looks like a corrupted iso, probably rufus missed a sector or didn't load the boot handler onto the USB drive.

to answer the title, yes you can but it will just restart the computer and automatically select the USB drive instead of the installed windows OS. This will give you the same screen as I expect it's the OS on the USB and not the installed OS causing this

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

4 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

that looks like a corrupted iso, probably rufus missed a sector or didn't load the boot handler onto the USB drive.

to answer the title, yes you can but it will just restart the computer and automatically select the USB drive instead of the installed windows OS. This will give you the same screen as I expect it's the OS on the USB and not the installed OS causing this

Oh nice, i'll keep that in mind next time, thanks.

2 hours ago, khazad said:

Yep you are good, though i would reccomend debloating w10 for better performance with a debloat script and o&o shutup10, you may also find some useful tweaks in winaero tweaker so also check that out

Also since its an m cpu, is it one of those socketed cpus? Cause you may be able to upgrade the cpu to an i7

On 2/2/2022 at 3:16 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Yep you are good, though i would reccomend debloating w10 for better performance with a debloat script and o&o shutup10, you may also find some useful tweaks in winaero tweaker so also check that out

Also since its an m cpu, is it one of those socketed cpus? Cause you may be able to upgrade the cpu to an i7

Yeah i plan to use a debloater.

It isn't a socketed cpu :(, i didn't remove the heatsink but i can see that the cpu has a red glue.