Screen freezes then goes black requiring restart

Every so often seemingly with no common cause this happens, it freezes for a few seconds then they go completely black and I have to restart it on my case. This has happened when gaming, when just idling, using text editors, browsing the internet etc. I have had this issue for some time and nothing has solved the issue, I went to a GPU driver that was more stable didn't fix it, changed PSU didn't fix it. The hardware all seems fine since stress tests do not replicate the issue and it is not a temperature issue as under these stress tests the GPU remained at 70 degrees and CPU under 65 while running furmark and aida64.

Looking in event viewer the report of unexpected reboot is always preceded by two errors 

Source: Hyper-V-Hypervisor 
Event ID:42

Task Category: None
General: Hypervisor launch failed; Either SVM not present or not enabled in BIOS.

&

Source: Kernel Boot
Event ID:124

Task Category: (80)
General: The virtualization-based security enablement policy check at phase 0 failed with status: Virtual Secure Mode (VSM) is not initialized. The hypervisor or VSM may not be present or enabled.

I dabbled with virtual machines at one point and so enabled VSM and Hypervisor to do it but disabled them both because I didn't need them any more, but every time this issue occurs it has these two events. I have no idea what to do because randomly having to restart really does effect me as it would anyone, the only thing I can think of is to just reinstall windows entirely to try and fix it but that is a nuclear option that I would rather avoid so my PC isn't down for that amount of time including reinstalling programs.

Hardware:
(No OC on hardware besides XMP on ram)

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+
RAM: HyperX Predator 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16
MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
Cooler: Artic Freezer 34 eSports

PSU: Corsair TX 750m
SSD: Patriot Viper m.2 VPN100 256GB

HDD:WDC WDEZEX-22MFCA0 1TB
BIOS: 7C02v3B
Chipset: 3.10.08.506

GPU Driver: 22.1.2

7 minutes ago, LividCake said:

Every so often seemingly with no common cause this happens, it freezes for a few seconds then they go completely black and I have to restart it on my case. This has happened when gaming, when just idling, using text editors, browsing the internet etc. I have had this issue for some time and nothing has solved the issue, I went to a GPU driver that was more stable didn't fix it, changed PSU didn't fix it. The hardware all seems fine since stress tests do not replicate the issue and it is not a temperature issue as under these stress tests the GPU remained at 70 degrees and CPU under 65 while running furmark and aida64.

Looking in event viewer the report of unexpected reboot is always preceded by two errors 

Source: Hyper-V-Hypervisor 
Event ID:42

Task Category: None
General: Hypervisor launch failed; Either SVM not present or not enabled in BIOS.

&

Source: Kernel Boot
Event ID:124

Task Category: (80)
General: The virtualization-based security enablement policy check at phase 0 failed with status: Virtual Secure Mode (VSM) is not initialized. The hypervisor or VSM may not be present or enabled.

I dabbled with virtual machines at one point and so enabled VSM and Hypervisor to do it but disabled them both because I didn't need them any more, but every time this issue occurs it has these two events. I have no idea what to do because randomly having to restart really does effect me as it would anyone, the only thing I can think of is to just reinstall windows entirely to try and fix it but that is a nuclear option that I would rather avoid so my PC isn't down for that amount of time including reinstalling programs.

Hardware:
(No OC on hardware besides XMP on ram)

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+
RAM: HyperX Predator 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16
MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
Cooler: Artic Freezer 34 eSports

PSU: Corsair TX 750m
SSD: Patriot Viper m.2 VPN100 256GB

HDD:WDC WDEZEX-22MFCA0 1TB
BIOS: 7C02v3B
Chipset: 3.10.08.506

GPU Driver: 22.1.2

Sounds like a graphic's card problem. But have you tried re-enabling the virtualization in your CPU?

If it works it would narrow down what is going on.

Have you ran DDU in safe mode? Clear out any old GPU drivers

Try a CMOS clear 

Do you have the newest stable BIOS and chipset etc?

1 minute ago, Frizz said:

Sounds like a graphic's card problem. But have you tried re-enabling the virtualization in your CPU?

If it works it would narrow down what is going on.

Have you ran DDU in safe mode? Clear out any old GPU drivers

Try a CMOS clear 

Do you have the newest stable BIOS and chipset etc?

I have in the past ran DDU and reinstalled drivers and it remained an issue, and yes they are the newest stable bios and chipset drivers etc. I will try re-enabling virtualisation.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:22 PM, LividCake said:

I have in the past ran DDU and reinstalled drivers and it remained an issue, and yes they are the newest stable bios and chipset drivers etc. I will try re-enabling virtualisation.

Just happened again, this time in event viewer there was no error for virtualisation just unexcepted shutdown. Was just streaming video so probably is graphics drivers.

• 1 year later...

Have you found a fix for your problem.
For me it happened right after i reinstalled my windows on my SSD.
I changed my PSU as well and don't have black screen but i have sudden blue screens more often. I can live with it but it is annoying to think that something is always wrong with my PC.