Use SFP+ port on switch as WAN connection

Pressig

Hey! Its an older thread but since my quesion is basically the same I thought we should keep it together.

I have a new tplink omada setup with a oc200 controller, er605 router and a TL-SG2210P switch. I am quite desperate in trying to get rid of my isp network box. People from here have been successful but i cant get it to work. So far i have plugged two network cables that go to my stb's into the switch and both tvs work as it would seem that the stb only needs an internet connection.

But I cant get my internet connection to work just by putting the SFP connector into my switch and switching the uplink cable from the switch to the router. Right now I still have the SFP in my ISP box, with a cable going from this box to my ER605 routers WAN port. Looking through my controller settings I see that I can set (or select?) a VLAN for this WAN port. Picture here. Do I need to set a VLAN (lets say VLAN 40) for this WAN port of my router, plug the SFP into my switch (port 9), then create a new VLAN (VLAN 40), set the correct profile (I think i did something wrong when I tried this before because I locked myself out of my network since I put half of my devices on a network I could no longer reach), then enable this profile on port 9 of my switch (SFP port)? Then change the profile of LAN1 of my switch also to VLAN 40, and connect my WAN port of my router to LAN1 of my switch. If then the WAN port on my router and SFP port + LAN1 port on my switch are in their own VLAN, should this work?

Do i then connect a cable from the LAN port on my router to LAN2 on my switch? Will the switch know this is the uplink cable as it does now when the cable is from WAN to LAN1 on the switch? Do i keep LAN2 on the switch in  a different vlan than LAN1?

Wan port-> vlan40

Sfp-> vlan40

Lan1 on switch->vlan40

Connect wan to lan1

Connect lan(router) to lan2(switch)

Do I need to set a new VLAN for all other traffic too? Meaning if I do this atleast two VLANs are necessary? One little closed network for ISP uplink and the other for all other traffic?

Do you think i need to do the vlan thing you suggested? T

@Pressig I have split your question off into its own thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 hours ago, Pressig said:

Do I need to set a new VLAN for all other traffic too? Meaning if I do this atleast two VLANs are necessary? One little closed network for ISP uplink and the other for all other traffic?

Do you think i need to do the vlan thing you suggested? T

Are you trying to connect an SFP+ port from the ISP directly to a managed switch? Why? You need a router with an SFP+ WAN port.

Have you tried contacting your ISP to discuss with their support what can be done to help with what you're attempting to do?

They offeer no support as this would be my own setup. Its not prohibited but not encouraged.

I have no router with an spf port but as far as i know i should be able to get it to work by using a switch spf port. There was a thread on this forum discussing the issue. I just need clarification on what i need to do.

If I'm understanding right you want to go into your switch and then to the router so traffic basically traverses the switch to go from SFP to copper? If so then yes, you'd use a VLAN that's not used anywhere else and then keep things how they are on the port from the router back into the LAN. The WAN port on the router would get the public IP and nothing else.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

So something along the lines of what i put together in my first post?

Wan port router-> vlan40

Sfp port on switch-> vlan40

Lan1 on switch->vlan40

Connect fiber to spf port on switch (vlan40)

Connect wan to lan1 (now both on vlan40)

Connect lan(router) to lan2(switch) (both ports on no vlan/default vlan)

3 hours ago, Pressig said:

So something along the lines of what i put together in my first post?

Wan port router-> vlan40

Sfp port on switch-> vlan40

Lan1 on switch->vlan40

Connect fiber to spf port on switch (vlan40)

Connect wan to lan1 (now both on vlan40)

Connect lan(router) to lan2(switch) (both ports on no vlan/default vlan)

For the router WAN and switch lan1 connection, you have a choice. Either you set lan1 to VLAN40 untagged (aka access), and then on the router it doesn't need to be aware of any VLAN at all (the packets between it and the switch won't have any VLAN tag, hence "untagged"), or you set *both* the lan1 and wan ports to use tagged aka trunk with VLAN 40 (the packets between the switch and the router will have the VLAN tags on them). Since you only need to keep VLAN separation on the switch itself, I would prefer to set the lan1 port to untagged/access.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I was hoping you would show up since you gave the only usable answer i found on the internet but in a older thread.

I do ask you though to please hold my hand and guide me through this since i really want to get rid my of isp box but i jusg dont have the knowledge to get it done on my own.

https://ibb.co/8YbzNCd

https://ibb.co/KFRFSm3

Your first suggestion means that I don't set a vlan for WAN on router. But I do need to create a VLAN40 and I'm not sure I know how. The first picture above is how my router sets it up. Which settings should I choose? Which "purpose" ? Interface or VLAN? Which interfaces should I pick, if I choose "interface" as purpose? Subnet and the rest I know what to do.

And then in the second pic, how do I set a correct profile? Then I need to set port 9 on the switch which is my SFP port to VLAN40, right? And lan1 on the switch also to VLAN40? And after this is done, how should the cabling look? LAN1(switch) to WAN and LAN(router) to LAN2(switch)?

Sorry if I'm making this to be "explain it like I'm five" but sadly I don't know enough about networking to get it done on my own.

1 hour ago, Pressig said:

I was hoping you would show up since you gave the only usable answer i found on the internet but in a older thread.

I do ask you though to please hold my hand and guide me through this since i really want to get rid my of isp box but i jusg dont have the knowledge to get it done on my own.

https://ibb.co/8YbzNCd

https://ibb.co/KFRFSm3

Your first suggestion means that I don't set a vlan for WAN on router. But I do need to create a VLAN40 and I'm not sure I know how. The first picture above is how my router sets it up. Which settings should I choose? Which "purpose" ? Interface or VLAN? Which interfaces should I pick, if I choose "interface" as purpose? Subnet and the rest I know what to do.

And then in the second pic, how do I set a correct profile? Then I need to set port 9 on the switch which is my SFP port to VLAN40, right? And lan1 on the switch also to VLAN40? And after this is done, how should the cabling look? LAN1(switch) to WAN and LAN(router) to LAN2(switch)?

Sorry if I'm making this to be "explain it like I'm five" but sadly I don't know enough about networking to get it done on my own.

On the router, you do nothing. It will think it has a completely normal ethernet connection coming in.

On the switch, at the moment I don’t have time to handhold on doing this, especially because I have no Omada experience. I might be able to help tomorrow (late night at work tonight).

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I patiently wait, no problem. I tried using a local forum and noone else will help me.

I'm very eager to tryout various scenarios on my own but im afraid of locking myself out of the network.

I did it. I made a simple vlan, not "interface".  Put SFP port and lan1 in this vlan. Insert cable from wan to lan1 and another from lan port of router to lan2 of switch.

So far it seems to work. I hope that its stable.