Best Way Of Getting Audio Out Of My PS2...?

Kjennings92

I recently got my PS2 slim repaired & I am more than ready to enjoy a couple of titles on it for old times sake! 😜  

But there's something you all should about my console setup: Due to my room not being super big/roomy, I don't really have the space for a tube tv much less a flatscreen OLED or what have you as much I would LOVE to have a flatscreen TV. 😕  So, what's my solution until me & my family can move to a bigger house in the future? Basically, I have to use my gaming monitor from my pc setup as a display for any of the consoles I wish to use- the Switch, Wii/Wii U, & lastly, the PS2 slim that I have. Now, just a few days ago, I tried using my monitor with my PS2 & I was able to get the display output to my monitor via a RCA to HDMI Adapter -- Link for product here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8GG6PW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 -- but, I couldn't get my USB headset to work via this setup mainly for audio. For anyone wondering, this is my USB headset that is my daily driver: https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Revolver-Gaming-Headset-Surround/dp/B01N9RM9N3 I tried BOTH the USB ports on the PS2 & the USB passthrough ports on my monitor & for some reason, whatever it is, it didn't work. BTW, the monitor that is part of my pc setup is the MSI Optix MPG27CQ. And in case anyone was wondering my I wish to get audio out of the PS2 via my headset --IF it will work.-- it's mainly because I don't have a speaker for my setup just yet. I AM working up to getting the LG UltraGear GP9 which would be a GREAT fit for my setup overall, but it will be at least a few months until I'm able to buy it at the rate that I'm going.

So with that being said, I'd to hear your opinions/advice/suggestions on this IF I can get it work. And if so, what can I do? 🤔 As always, if you need more of the "nitty gritty" aka details, just be sure to ask & I'll reply back!

Thanks & hope someone knowledgeable can help me out here! :)

AFAIK the PS2 slim didn't have support for USB audio, so that would explain the ports on the device not outputting sound, it might make sense to get something like RCA to aux, then aux to USB for the stereo sound connectors.

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

AFAIK the PS2 slim didn't have support for USB audio, so that would explain the ports on the device not outputting sound, it might make sense to get something like RCA to aux, then aux to USB for the stereo sound connectors.

How sure are you of the USB ports not supporting audio? 🤔 Also, what about my idea of using my headset simply plugged into the USB passthrough ports on my monitor? I DID try it, but it didn't work. Is it because I need to change the audio source from Digital to Analog? Cause the OSD on my monitor does give me that option, but TBH, I'm not sure if I'd be able to get the audio that way. Hence why I'm asking. 🤷‍♂️

59 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

opinions/advice/suggestions

on my current setup with the older fatboy PS2 I run an RCA to headphone adapter into the PC's line in port. Just had to set-up the audio input to "listen to" in the sound control panel and it can be sent out my normal PC audio devices. Volume is controlled by the PC's volume control (I had to lower the input sensitivity to around 30% because the PS2 outputs full signal)

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

1 minute ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

on my current setup with the older fatboy PS2 I run an RCA to headphone adapter into the PC's line in port. Just had to set-up the audio input to "listen to" in the sound control panel and it can be sent out my normal PC audio devices. Volume is controlled by the PC's volume control (I had to lower the input sensitivity to around 30% because the PS2 outputs full signal)

Very interesting/unique way of handling your audio. But NO ONE here has yet confirmed for me if my solution would work or not. I mean, is it to much to ask just to get some direct answers? Come on people! 😕 [If anyone wants to know what I'm referring to, either view my post itself or the comments. I want to know IF using my headset connected to my monitors USB passthrough port(s) could work. Of course bear in mind that this would be WITH the PS2 connected to it & I have no idea if I would need to switch in my OSD from Digital to Analog.]

3 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

USB passthrough port(s) could work

I don't believe it would work, the monitor's pass through ports are not for extracting audio, just for passing a usb port connected to the monitor to the hub built into the monitor.

Capture.JPG.22bbecb39cc9cb8b230c32a2f4b43c7e.JPG

this is from the manual for the monitor

"Check the package for USB Upstream Cable and connect it to the PC and monitor Once this cable is connected, the USB Type A Downstream Ports on the monitor will be ready for use"

"Check the package for Y-type Audio Cable and connect it to the PC and monitor Once this cable is connected, the audio jacks on the monitor will be ready for use"

Without personally owning the monitor to test, it seems as though the USB headphones will not connect to the PS2, but I did plug a set of USB headphones into my PS2 and no audio comes from either of them. There was an old socom USB mic input for the PS2 but that's based on the game's programming

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

19 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

Very interesting/unique way of handling your audio. But NO ONE here has yet confirmed for me if my solution would work or not. I mean, is it to much to ask just to get some direct answers? Come on people! 😕 [If anyone wants to know what I'm referring to, either view my post itself or the comments. I want to know IF using my headset connected to my monitors USB passthrough port(s) could work. Of course bear in mind that this would be WITH the PS2 connected to it & I have no idea if I would need to switch in my OSD from Digital to Analog.]

I would suggest switching it to the other setting on the digital/analog toggle and see if you get anything, them reporting back. 🙂

USB based audio just isn't going to work for this. Neither the PS2 nor your monitor support any form of USB audio. The USB ports on the PS2 were meant for PS2 specific peripherals (I think they might support USB keyboards and mice but the uses are very limited) and the USB ports on your monitor are just a hub.

What your monitor does have is 3.5mm stereo out. Your HDMI adapter passes audio through so you should be able to plug in a set of headphones or speakers with a standard 3.5mm plug to your monitor. It's not something I do often but sometimes I do use one of my monitors with stuff like a PS3 or PS4 or maybe a mini console (mostly for testing) and I'll just use a Bluetooth speaker that has a 3.5mm Aux input.

The only way you're going to be able to get audio out with your current configuration if the monitor doesn't have any direct audio out is to use an HDMI audio extractor, but it will also require an external amplifier as you can't just connect a headset directly to it.

However there are small and relatively cheap headphone amps available on amazon and the like that would be suitable for space conscious people.