Event ID 157

Kimbjcl

So recently I've noticed that my Computer randomly runs into hard stops and freezes, at first i assumed it was a driver issue and reinstalled all my drivers about a week ago, but this didn't seem to have an effect on the issue. Today i was watching the RL 351 stream and getting some work done at the same time when the stream stopped and the window went black, I'm using Opera GX, so i tried to just close it and reopen it but upon closing the window and attempting to reopen Opera, nothing happened, the load symbol popped up next to my mouse but the window never reopened. So i opened task manager and force closed all instances of Opera, after closing the last instance my whole PC froze, no big bad blue screen, i could still control my mouse but couldn't interact with anything. When I attempted to CTRL+ALT+DEL the screen flashed but it never changed to the ctrl alt del screen. So i restarted my PC using the restart button on the case.

Once the PC restarted i opened event viewer and this event was all over the place, when i investigated the error had been occurring since 8/25/2021 and in the details of the error it said that disk 5 was unexpectedly removed. The weird part is that I don't have a disk 5 anywhere in the system, I searched in msinfo and nothing labeled Disk 5 showed.

My question really boils down to, Is this something i should be concerned about? Also, why is Disk 5 in the error but i cant find it anywhere else? And if i should be concerned what is the fix?

Thanks to anyone who helps in advance!

Will need full system specs please, also list what things are attached via USB.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Will need full system specs please, also list what things are attached via USB.

I am running the following 

X570-A PRO (MS-7C37)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 
Red Devil 6900XT

OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Toshiba X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256Gig

SATA SSD Samsung 870 Evo

only things connected VIA USB are Razer Blackwidow Elite, Razer Viper Ultimate Wireless and my Blue Snowball Mic

14 minutes ago, Kimbjcl said:

and in the details of the error it said that disk 5 was unexpectedly removed. The weird part is that I don't have a disk 5 anywhere in the system

You may have one, if your drives are partitioned (and the C drive will typically have at least one partition) then each partition is seen as a drive.

Look in event viewer and then the subsection for Windows Logs and then the subsection for "System" and look for any Red X errors, especially associated with "disk"

If you find any, post a screenshot here

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You may have one, if your drives are partitioned (and the C drive will typically have at least one partition) then each partition is seen as a drive.

Look in event viewer and then the subsection for Windows Logs and then the subsection for "System" and look for any Red X errors, especially associated with "disk"

If you find any, post a screenshot here

I looked through them and see a few errors related to OVR service, related to Oculus quest software, as well as EA's launcher timing out and closing. None related to disk errors, just the warnings that say Disk 5 was unexpectedly removed.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Kimbjcl

21 minutes ago, Kimbjcl said:

I looked through them and see a few errors related to OVR service, related to Oculus quest software, as well as EA's launcher timing out and closing. None related to disk errors, just the warnings that say Disk 5 was unexpectedly removed.

Edit: spelling

Ok, we need to find out which disk the OS thinks is Disk 5.

Control Panel to  Admin Tools to Computer Management to Disk Management

Right click on each drive partition and choose "properties" go to hardware tab, highlight the drive and down below is "Location" which *should* give you drive numbers.

I AM WORKING FROM MEMORY HERE (at work with a system with only 1 drive) SO I MAY BE WRONG ABOUT THIS....GOOGLE WILL HAVE MORE ACCURATE INFO FOR YOU

Once we can find out which disk is "disk 5" we can go from there.

16 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, we need to find out which disk the OS thinks is Disk 5.

Control Panel to  Admin Tools to Computer Management to Disk Management

Right click on each drive partition and choose "properties" go to hardware tab, highlight the drive and down below is "Location" which *should* give you drive numbers.

I AM WORKING FROM MEMORY HERE (at work with a system with only 1 drive) SO I MAY BE WRONG ABOUT THIS....GOOGLE WILL HAVE MORE ACCURATE INFO FOR YOU

Once we can find out which disk is "disk 5" we can go from there.

So i looked through each drive properties and i only see disk 0, 1, and 2. Nothing else, no 3, 4, or 5. I do see the virtual storage made by the Microsoft Gaming Filesystem Driver, but they have no events attached to them or a disk number attached to them. I am at a loss currently.

Edit: Disk not Drive

Edited by Kimbjcl

Snaked this from MS's website

___

The command list disk will let you know the index number of the disk.

Follow these steps to format the drive using the Disk part command:

a. Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box.

b. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue. 

c. An Administrator command prompt will open. Type in diskpart. Your command line will look like this:

d. Then enter this command “list disk” without the quotes to display all active disks on your machine.

post a pic of what you see

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Snaked this from MS's website

___

The command list disk will let you know the index number of the disk.

Follow these steps to format the drive using the Disk part command:

a. Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box.

b. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue. 

c. An Administrator command prompt will open. Type in diskpart. Your command line will look like this:

d. Then enter this command “list disk” without the quotes to display all active disks on your machine.

post a pic of what you see

image_2022-01-28_151729.png.996bc5160829318a12c98ca95f65fec5.png

Interestingly enough where it says Disk 2 had no free space it actually has 34gb free space.

1 minute ago, Kimbjcl said:

Interestingly enough where it says Disk 2 had no free space it actually has 34gb free space.

Yes DOS commands are not always accurate.

Did you, perchance, have a USB stick in the system when these errors occurred?

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Yes DOS commands ate not always accurate.

Did you, perchance, have a USB stick in the system when these errors occurred?

Any usb device? Yes Keybaord, mouse and Mic, the only other thing would be the cable i use for connecting my controller but it doesn't have anything plugged into it.

Just now, Kimbjcl said:

Any usb device? Yes Keybaord, mouse and Mic, the only other thing would be the cable i use for connecting my controller but it doesn't have anything plugged into it.

I'm sorry, poor wording on my part, I meant a USB flash drive...something Windows might see as a disk.

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

I'm sorry, poor wording on my part, I meant a USB flash drive...something Windows might see as a disk.

Nope, nothing with available storage, or anything that could be recognized as an available disk, im going through my purchase history now focusing around August in regards to PC components that i could've bought and plugged in, whether plugged in by UBS or not.

2 minutes ago, Kimbjcl said:

Nope, nothing with available storage, or anything that could be recognized as an available disk, im going through my purchase history now focusing around August in regards to PC components that i could've bought and plugged in, whether plugged in by UBS or not.

I don't see any PC component that i could've bought that would fit the description around that time either............

Ok, safe to assume you know when you have a USB stick installed, so let's move on to other options.

Have you tested your RAM with MemTest86?

Are you running XMP/DOCP or any overclocking (or otherwise out of factory spec changes) to your CPU?

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, safe to assume you know when you have a USB stick installed, so let's move on to other options.

Are you running XMP/DOCP or any overclocking (or otherwise out of factory spec changes) to your CPU?

I do have XMP active and i have overclocked my CPU, managed to push it about 17% over frequency spec and about 10% over wattage spec.

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

testing my Memory now

Just now, Kimbjcl said:

testing my Memory now

Ok, that may take some time to get an answer. I'm going home now, and it may be some time before I come back on line. You can wait to see if others will respond (I'm sure they will) or wait for me to get back on.

Personally, when troubleshooting, I'd turn off all OCing and XMP, just so we have a baseline to work with, but that's just me.

12 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, that may take some time to get an answer. I'm going home now, and it may be some time before I come back on line. You can wait to see if others will respond (I'm sure they will) or wait for me to get back on.

Personally, when troubleshooting, I'd turn off all OCing and XMP, just so we have a baseline to work with, but that's just me.

Thanks for your help thus far, heres an interesting point, when i plugged in the USB drive it being recognized as disk 5, strange.

1 hour ago, Kimbjcl said:

Thanks for your help thus far, heres an interesting point, when i plugged in the USB drive it being recognized as disk 5, strange.

Just a quick line before I go again, test the health of that stick....might be going bad

17 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Just a quick line before I go again, test the health of that stick....might be going bad

RAM went through all 4 passes with no Errors, checked event viewer and now it says disk 6 was unexpectedly removed? No longer disk 5.

17 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

After yesterday it now is just saying random disks are unexpectedly removed, 4,5,7,6,9. I have no idea what Windows is doing

33 minutes ago, Kimbjcl said:

After yesterday it now is just saying random disks are unexpectedly removed, 4,5,7,6,9. I have no idea what Windows is doing

Hmmm....

Is windows making the "disconnect" sound?

I assume it's locking up when this sort of event is written?

32 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Hmmm....

Is windows making the "disconnect" sound?

I assume it's locking up when this sort of event is written?

The only time I've linked it to a freeze/crash is yesterday, but no it isn't making the disconnect noise.