Specs:

I7 7700K overclocked to 5ghz

Gigabyte 3 fan RTX 2080 (Not Super)

16 Gb 3200Mhz RAM

EVGA 650W Gold modular PSU

Asus prime z290 MOBO

My monitor is an LG 2560x1080 ultra wide 166hz Gsync display

Attached files: 

#1: My best Heaven benmark as of recently after feeling like I have some problem

#2: My current MSI afterburning settings

Context:

I build this system almost exactly 5 years ago except I had a 1060 6gb and a different monitor at the time. 4 years ago is when I got my monitor and also upgraded to a liquid AIO CPU cooler and have been running at 5Ghz since. 2 years ago I upgraded to an RTX 2080. A about a year ago I upgraded all of my fans to nice noctua fans and filled all of the fan slots. It ran absolutely great overclocked it good and got it stay stable keep in mind at the time I played games a lot like pretty much 14 hours a day. But recently I get on maybe 3 hours a day if I'm lucky.

TLDR: My friend has a ryzen 5 5600x and a GTX 1060 3Gb with 16 gb of ram. Not overclocked. He runs at 1920x1080 and I run at 2560x1080 but I should still be getting better frames and in the past have normally had substancially better frames. I noticed while recently playing Hell let loose that my frames were bad, I was constantly dropping below 60 frames down to 40 and not really staying above 60 unless I was completely alone miles from any action. Mean while my friend was getting the same if not better frames whilst in the middle of all the action and I tried dropping all of my graphical settings in the game to as low as it would let me aside from antialiesing and leaving my resolution at native 2560x1080 I tested my gpu with the heaven benchmark but without having saved prior benchmark results I don't have a good basis to go off of. I also checked userbenchmark fully aware of how terrible of a basis that can be to go off of, but I know testing my gpu in the past it was always in the 90+ percentile and now is in the bottom 50+ percentile.

Problem: I might just be crazy but I feel like my card doesn't run as well as it did in the past. So I hadn't really changed much since I built the computer but this month I got an even better liquid cooler because I started to notice that my PC fans would ramp up like insanely loud I normally have headphones on and my game really loud so it wasnt ever a problem but I started to notice just how obnoxiously it is when playing PGA Tour 2K21 recently and my wife was sleeping in the same room.

I thought it was my CPU cooler because an i7 7700k at 5ghz runs very hot and i had a 360mm radiator but it was the best brand not to mention I noticed one of my fans were broken on the radiator so needless to say it was kind of cheap and it was like 4 years old so I upgraded to a Corsair 280mm and I had used two of my 140mm noctua fans to have a push pull configuration on it. Got it overclocked and the temps were good for that CPU nothing crazy, didn't notice much of a difference. And the exact same noise was present just this loud obnoxious jet engine.

I then realized it was my graphics card making all of that noise and just to better explain I have set the GPU fans all of them manually set to run at 100% and it is 1/10 as loud as the noise it makes when running games and it makes this loud noise after running a game for like 5 minutes and is non stop. I used a decible meter to figure out the difference between my fans running manually set to 100% and this loud jet engine noise it will make. So at 100% fan speed noise is between 47-52dB average around 48dB when a game is running and on a default fan curve this jet engine is between 57-59dB average around 48dB.

I did some research and found some stuff that says basically if I set the power target down to 65 in the gigabyte overclocking engine that it will solve this problem. So I uninstalled MSI afterburner because I was using it before to overclock installed this gigabyte and setting the power target to 65 and it worked like a dream.

Now I attempted to set my overclock back to how I had it before so I did some heaven benchmarks like I did in the past and did as best as I could without causing instability and I just felt that it wasn't running like it was supposed to I did some User benchmark test with my system and I was getting GPU performance in the bottom 50+ percentile I know that is a terrible basis to go off of but I have tested userbenchmark in the past on this system and I was always in the top 90 percentile with an overclock.

So now my wife sleeping the room with my PC was a one time thing and I can deal with the loud noise I decided to uninstall the gigabyte overclock utility and go back to MSI afterburner and set it back to my old over clock did some tests I decided that I can deal with the obnoxious jet engine noises and on usermark I was still getting around bottom 50+ percentile on my GPU even after disabling Gsync and having no background stuff running. In heaven the best score I was able to get is in the photo attached below.

Some other things that lead me to believe I am having performance problems is the fact that my friend with a gtx 1060 3gb and a Ryzen 5 5600x no overclocking what so ever is getting better frames in some games or about the same, when I know for a fact I usually get a much better frame rate. Yes I am running at 2560x1080 and he is running at 1920x1080 that has always been the case for years and I have had no problems getting at least 100 more fps than him in pretty much every game.

A recent example is hell let loose I keep consistently getting below 60 fps on various maps with the setting completely dropped nearly as low as they'll go. Without making it a blurry mess and keeping it at native resolution but all of graphics settings dropped. Then another recent example is Minecraft with a really nice shaders pack I am struggling to stay above 60fps and will drop all the time to 30 and 40 and that after I set all of the optifine settings to be the best for performance but I have played with nice shaders in the past and my friend is using the exact same shaders as me but getting better or the same frame rate, ik Minecraft java has it's limitations and what not but I should be getting consistently better frames across the bored or am I just crazy?  

Untitled.png

MSI.PNG

Edited by Archer3545
Forgot to add some stuff

8 minutes ago, Archer3545 said:

Specs:

I7 7700K overclocked to 5ghz

Gigabyte 3 fan RTX 2080 (Not Super)

16 Gb 3200Mhz RAM

EVGA 650W Gold modular PSU

Asus prime z290 MOBO

My monitor is an LG 2560x1080 ultra wide 166hz Gsync display

Context:

I build this system almost exactly 5 years ago except I had a 1060 6gb and a different monitor at the time. 4 years ago is when I got my monitor and also upgraded to a liquid AIO CPU cooler and have been running at 5Ghz since. 2 years ago I upgraded to an RTX 2080. A about a year ago I upgraded all of my fans to nice noctua fans and filled all of the fan slots. It ran absolutely great overclocked it good and got it stay stable keep in mind at the time I played games a lot like pretty much 14 hours a day. But recently I get on maybe 3 hours a day if I'm lucky.

Problem: I might just be crazy but I feel like my card doesn't run as well as it did in the past.

So I hadn't really changed much this month I got an even better liquid cooler because I started to notice that my PC fans would ramp up like insanely loud I normally have headphones on and my game really loud so it wasnt ever a problem but I started to notice just how obnoxiously it is when playing PGA Tour 2K21 recently and my wife was sleeping in the same room.

I thought it was my CPU cooler because an i7 7700k at 5ghz runs very hot and i had a 360mm radiator but it was the best brand not to mention I noticed one of my fans were broken on the radiator so needless to say it was kind of cheap and it was like 4 years old so I upgraded to a Corsair 280mm and I had used two of my 140mm noctua fans to have a push pull configuration on it. Got it overclocked and the temps were good for that CPU nothing crazy, didn't notice much of a difference. And the exact same noise was present just this loud obnoxious jet engine.

I then realized it was my graphics card making all of that noise and just to better explain the GPU fans all three of them manually set to run at 100% is 1/10 as loud as the noise it makes when running games and it makes this loud noise after running a game for like 5 minutes and is non stop.

I did some research and found some stuff that says basically if I set the power target down to 65 in the gigabyte overclocking engine that it will solve this problem. So I uninstalled MSI afterburner because I was using it before to overclock installed this gigabyte and setting the power target to 65 worked like a dream. Now a I attempted to set my overclock back to how I had it before so I did some heaven benchmarks like I did in the past and did as best as I could without causing instability and I just felt that it wasn't running like it was supposed to I did some User benchmark test with my system and I was getting GPU performance in the bottom 50+ percentile I know that is a terrible basis to go off of but I have tested userbenchmark in the past on this system and I was always in the top 90 percentile with an overclock.

So now my wife sleeping the room with my PC was a one time thing and I can deal with the loud noise I decided to uninstall the gigabyte overclock utility and go back to MSI afterburner and set it back to my old over clock did some tests delt with the obnoxious noises and on usermark I was still getting around bottom 50+ percentile ok GPU even disabling Gsync and having no background stuff running. In heaven the best score I was able to get is in the photo attached below.

But some other things that lead me to believe I am having performance problems is the fact that my friend with a gtx 1060 3gb and a Ryzen 5 5600x no overclocking what so ever is getting better frames in some games or about the same, when I know for a fact I usually get much better frame rate. Yes I am running at 2560x1080 and he is running at 1920x1080 that has always been the case for years and I have had no problems.

A recent example is hell let loose consistently getting below 60 fps on Various maps with the setting completely dropped nearly as low as they'll go. Without making it a blurry mess and keeping it at native resolution but all of graphics settings dropped.

Then another recent example is Minecraft with a really nice shaders pack I am struggling to stay above 60fps and will drop all the time to 30 and 40 but I have played with nice shaders in the past and my friend is using the exact same shaders as me but getting better or the same frame rate, ik Minecraft java has it's limitations and what not but I should be getting consistently better frames across the bored or am I just crazy?

Paragraph breaks inserted for sanity. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Splitting that text wall into paragraphs would make it much easier to read. 

From what I can gather, you told your GPU to run at 65% power target, and it's now running much slower? Power target governs how much wattage it can pull, and higher clocks need more watts. If it's only allowed 65% of the standard power target, it cannot boost anywhere near as high under intensive load (like gaming). I usually set my cards to the highest power target possible (usually 120%) if temps aren't an issue, purely so they can boost higher. 

I'd go back to MSI Afterburner, are you familiar with setting up the RivaTuner OSD utility it includes? If not, I can make a quick guide for that once I get home. I usually set it up to show almost all the stats for my GPU, so I can see what all is going on before I start tweaking. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

26 minutes ago, Archer3545 said:

Sorry I am on my phone when I get home I will touch it up a lot better.

You should get an award for writing that much on a phone.

I have to write more than a sentence on my phone then I wont bother as its WAY too frustrating.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I edited the original post to make it easier to read. I also added the differnce in dB level between my fans running manually set to 100% and when they are set to a default fan curve how they get much louder than 100% while in games. I also added a picture that shows my current msi afterburner settings that I have been using.