Question Custom Built PC gets stuck on motherboard splash screen

JayTuut
Not sure why this started happening, but it just gets stuck on this screen

d8VzBq8.jpg

• I’ve done sfc /scannow’s and DISM’s
  • Updated the bios
  • Updated Windows
  • Unplugged the power for a while (though didn’t take out the CMOS battery)
  • Reset BIOS settings to default
Is this an issue that someone else has had and how did they fix it? Thankyou

Part list: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/deadboom/saved/#view=wTZCdC

Edit: Further testing seems that the screen will just stay black until I reboot it about 3 times, then I get stuck on the splash screen shown, and then after waiting 15 or so minutes, it will boot into windows like normal.... very odd.

Edit 2: One user on another forum which I had no luck on asked if I could press into Bios / Boot menu. My response: "No I can’t press anything, it’s unresponsive, delete / F12 don’t work. If I leave it for maybe 15 minutes it will boot into windows normally which is odd, I thought it was broken but when I just gave up and let it go it eventually booted into it, and still seems to sometimes but obviously that’s not ideal"

Edit 3: The only thing that's changed is I got a new secondary monitor.. but I've tried turning that on when I boot as well as my main and it doesn't make a difference.. so I feel like its just a coincidence.

Edited by JayTuut
*Added reset bios settings to default as a fix attempt

6 minutes ago, JayTuut said:

The only thing that's changed is I got a new secondary monitor.. but I've tried turning that on when I boot as well as my main and it doesn't make a difference.. so I feel like its just a coincidence.

try disconnecting it entirely

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@JayTuut Do you have specs for that PC?

I would try disconnecting all SATA devices. Could be a faulty HDD/SSD.

18 minutes ago, JayTuut said:

• Unplugged the power for a while (though didn’t take out the CMOS battery)
I

Try this for 5-10 min while PSU is off.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

@JayTuut Do you have specs for that PC?

I would try disconnecting all SATA devices. Could be a faulty HDD/SSD.

Try this for 5-10 min while PSU is off.

Unplugging the CMOS? And the specs were linked in the pcpartpicker, I'm not sure if theres an easy markdown feature on there there where I can paste it?

1 minute ago, JayTuut said:

Unplugging the CMOS? And the specs were linked in the pcpartpicker, I'm not sure if theres an easy markdown feature on there there where I can paste it?

Didn't see pcpartpicker. Yea unplug the CR2032 battery from the motherboard while PSU is off for 5-10 min. Make sure you use slot A2 and B2 for ram

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

On 1/26/2022 at 6:02 PM, Sauron said:

try disconnecting it entirely

Tried that... didn't fix 😞 

On 1/26/2022 at 8:22 PM, DoctorNick said:

Didn't see pcpartpicker. Yea unplug the CR2032 battery from the motherboard while PSU is off for 5-10 min. Make sure you use slot A2 and B2 for ram

Did this as well and reseated the GPU and the RAM, still happens.

I forgot to elaborate, though I suppose I did in the edit

Edit: Further testing seems that the screen will just stay black until I reboot it about 3 times, then I get stuck on the splash screen shown, and then after waiting 15 or so minutes, it will boot into windows like normal.... very odd.

Today after doing the CMOS and re-seating, it would just stay black, I did further testing and changed the DP port that my main monitor was going into, that did nothing unfortunately and it still showed black, it is DISPLAYING black (rather than saying no signal), then I tried unplugging it and just plugging a HDMI into the secondary monitor (as the only cable) and it wouldn't display that, so its not the monitor or DP/HDMI cable or anything.

I also before this ran chkdsk on every disk (this took ages) and found no errors or corruption on all of my drives, did a full system scan with my AV too just to be safe and nothing detected... so not really sure what to do. My brother's theory is that the CMOS battery itself needs replacing, as its trying to rebuild the BIOS each time it launches.. I have no way to test if thats true since I don't think I can get into the BIOS to make any changes to the settings that I can see if they are reverted... But also a CMOS 2032 battery isn't expensive, but I have a feeling thats not true since I had "Don't power USB ports when turned off" turned on, and that stayed that setting, but when I updated the BIOS to the most current version and reset all settings to default, it now powers the USB ports (most noticably my RGB mousepad), so IDK what it is 😞

Start basic to enter the BIOS. Test outside the case with CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard, one RAM stick in A2 and the PSU only. Connect the monitor to the motherboard.

Return the PSU because the Gigabyte P-GM is a fire hazard

20 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Start basic to enter the BIOS. Test outside the case with CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard, one RAM stick in A2 and the PSU only. Connect the monitor to the motherboard.

Return the PSU because the Gigabyte P-GM is a fire hazard

1)Thankyou for that! This was a modified prebuilt as it was the only way to get a 3070 at the time in Australia, and that's the one they supplied so ofc they cheaped out, didn't know this was a thing, thankyou!

2) What is start basic and how do I do that?

9 minutes ago, JayTuut said:

This was a modified prebuilt

You have warranty?

10 minutes ago, JayTuut said:

What is start basic

Bare minimum setup to enter the BIOS.

10 minutes ago, JayTuut said:

how do I do that

Like I explained

32 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Test outside the case with CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard, one RAM stick in A2 and the PSU only. Connect the monitor to the motherboard.

but since you bought it as a complete system and probably there's a warranty on the complete system you have to contact the supplier.

17 hours ago, --SID-- said:

You have warranty?

Bare minimum setup to enter the BIOS.

Like I explained

but since you bought it as a complete system and probably there's a warranty on the complete system you have to contact the supplier.

Yeah it has warranty though I don’t really like the idea of losing my pc for a week or two since I’m in a different state to them, and use it for uni + business and recreation. So if I can fix it myself it’d be a lot better