Motherboard repair/CPU fan header

Rocketdog2112

I've got a MSI Z97 MPOWER Max AC 1150 ATX motherboard that has two PWM CPU fan headers and one of them is failing.

The fan connected to it will bump a little bit when the computer is started up, and will spin slowly if I jump start it with my finger.

Manually ramping up the fan to 100% gets it barely running less than half speed.

I tested the voltages at the malfunctioning header and the 12 volt pin is only reading 3.1 volts.

I did by the way test the fan that plugs into that header on another fan header and it works perfectly.

I use a MSI Core Frozr XL which uses two fans, so I need to get that header repaired. Using a splinter to run two 120mm fans is not an option. I refuse to do that.

Anybody know a reputable place to get the motherboard repaired?

(Please don't suggest upgrading.)

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

Honestly the cheapest option here would be to grab a cable extension and run your fan to a different header. Just disable the CPU fan warning message in the BIOS (most boards have this option). Board repair can be an expensive crap shoot. They may be able to fix your fan header, no problem. They may also destroy your board and refuse to pay for their mistake. Your rolling the dice on an issue that can be resolved with a cable.  

Asking international community about reputable place that does board repairs without giving the location is kinda pointless. Is the header corroded, or solder broken out? Maybe you can just solder the connector back? Hard to tell without photos.

1 hour ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Using a splinter to run two 120mm fans is not an option. I refuse to do that.

why? . as long as fans are same size and speeds it doesn't matter. it only read the speed from one of the fans.. but deliver the same power to both fans so they should hold same speed. 

It's no different to using a Fan controller with a single pwm cable to the mainboard.

22 minutes ago, Robchil said:

why? . as long as fans are same size and speeds it doesn't matter. it only read the speed from one of the fans.. but deliver the same power to both fans so they should hold same speed. 

It's no different to using a Fan controller with a single pwm cable to the mainboard.

Because that has been known to burn out fan headers due to over amp draw.

23 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Because my motherboard software has the ability to tune the fans on the CPU 1 and CPU 2 fan headers for optimal performance. That and I don't have a spare fan header.

1 hour ago, Molot said:

Asking international community about reputable place that does board repairs without giving the location is kinda pointless. Is the header corroded, or solder broken out? Maybe you can just solder the connector back? Hard to tell without photos.

Geeze... Is it really that hard to click my profile and see where I'm at?

33 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Because my motherboard software has the ability to tune the fans on the CPU 1 and CPU 2 fan headers for optimal performance. That and I don't have a spare fan header.

if it's only power delivery that are failing use a fan controller with separate Sata/molex power and just use pwm on that header? you should easily draw power to 5 fans from one header, so i think it's weird it's burning out unless it's a known failure on that board. 

3 hours ago, Robchil said:

Fan controllers use an external power source unlike the miniature delicate electrical pathways of a motherboard.