Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GTX 970 => 1650 Super?

whm1974
 Share

I selected a notification option for the Gigabyte 1650 Super in case my 970 dies on me from bhphoto. It was fairly cheap that I could come up up the money for. I game out 2560x1600 with graphic settings at Medium to High. 2560x1600 is a mandatory requirement due to my display native resolution. That and I'm a Linux gamer. Sometimes game don't reset after playing back.

 

Does this meet those requirement? Or should I save up for something higher end?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are kinda nearly on par with one another, but I would ride that 970 until it dies... the longer you wait the more of a chance for prices to drop/find one at a decent price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

Maybe this will help?

You should never recommend anyone benchmarks like these. Most of the time they don't even have the hardware and just fake the fps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

You should never recommend anyone benchmarks like these. Most of the time they don't even have the hardware and just fake the fps

I never heard of that. Huh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

I selected a notification option for the Gigabyte 1650 Super in case my 970 dies on me from bhphoto. It was fairly cheap that I could come up up the money for. I game out 2560x1600 with graphic settings at Medium to High. 2560x1600 is a mandatory requirement due to my display native resolution. That and I'm a Linux gamer. Sometimes game don't reset after playing back.

 

Does this meet those requirement? Or should I save up for something higher end?

I sold my 970 3 years ago that was running on a Haswell build. That wasn't great at 1920x1200 and I've decided to replace that with a 1660 Super from EVGA - when they decide it's my turn, or I find something better before they get around to me. In theory it's around 25% faster than the 970. The 1650 Super isn't going to be much more powerful than your existing 970 so you'll need something better than that tbh.

 

For my US build I'm looking at a 3070, targeting 2560x1440 with a 1% min of 60fps - you have 160 more vertical pixel rows, so I think you'd need at least a 3070, if not something more powerful for a long term option.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix P31 (1x 500GB & 1x 1TB) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD for games, 1x8TB HDD storage, no dGPU, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

 

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T LCDTV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

 

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

 

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

 

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

 

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thewelshbrummie said:

I sold my 970 3 years ago that was running on a Haswell build. That wasn't great at 1920x1200 and I've decided to replace that with a 1660 Super from EVGA - when they decide it's my turn, or I find something better before they get around to me. In theory it's around 25% faster than the 970. The 1650 Super isn't going to be much more powerful than your existing 970 so you'll need something better than that tbh.

 

For my US build I'm looking at a 3070, targeting 2560x1440 with a 1% min of 60fps - you have 160 more vertical pixel rows, so I think you'd need at least a 3070, if not something more powerful for a long term option.

Yes I would need something I can afford. That was the cheapest viable option for me. But I wanted to check. I might select one of 1660 instead.  But this morning I will get the replacement fans fixed my problem not able to play games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just earlier this morning I requested a email notification on the PNY Technologies GeForce GTX 1660 XLR8. Better Card then I first created this Topic. 6GB instead of 4GB. It is list at $220. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×