Recommendations for 2 monitor use cases

Dr. Prop

The first use case is an ultrawide monitor for work:

• I want to get at least two programs (usually MS office programs) side by side with all ui and such showing, and be able to render small font text (size 6-8 pt) without it blurring/pixelating
    • I don't think this is possible with less than 34"
    • Higher resolution is something I'll pay more for
  • Refresh rate need not exceed 60 Hz
  • Features like G-Sync would be a waste of money
  • Ambivalent as to whether it is flat or curved
  • I would budget a few hundred dollars for this monitor

The 2nd use case is getting an ultrawide for gaming

• It would replace a Dell 4K S2817Q 28" Screen LCD Monitor
  • I'm obviously looking to go bigger (34-38")
  • IPS panel or something else with better image quality than my current monitor
  • I'd also like a higher refresh rate (probably 144 Hz)
  • G-Sync would be nice, but I am not great at video games, so losing a frame here or there is not a big deal. If G-Sync has a large effect on playability even for average players, please let me know.
  • Flat/Curved - again I'm ambivalent unless it gets very large (in which case it will need to curve)
  • I'm not really interested in RGB elements (if it has them I'll turn them off)
  • Depending on features, I'd be willing to encroach on $500-$1000

System

Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8086K 4GHz 6-Core Processor

GPU: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Turbo Video Card

RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 80 Plus Gold Full Modular 850W PSU, BWG850M

Storage: C Drive – Samsung - 970 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 NVMe SSD

Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste - 1.0 Gram

All-In-One: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ATX Mid-Tower

Were you unable to locate any monitors that are 60hz ultrawides for under 1000$ when you entered those parameters?

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

Were you unable to locate any monitors that are 60hz ultrawides for under 1000$ when you entered those parameters?

Yes, PC part picker has a number of them, I've been going through their product pages, but 1, I don't think that list is complete, and 2, I'm wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation that will help differentiate them.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#X=0,101039&F=863600000,1092200000&D=144000,360000&P=2

System

Any particular reason why you don't get one display that can do both? A good gaming ultrawide is perfectly capable of meeting your office work needs.

The Gigabyte M34WQ is a great value option that can do pretty much everything you mentioned above. Be it office work or gaming.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

9 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Any particular reason why you don't get one display that can do both? A good gaming ultrawide is perfectly capable of meeting your office work needs.

The Gigabyte M34WQ is a great value option that can do pretty much everything you mentioned above. Be it office work or gaming.

Thanks for the recommendation! A good gaming ultrawide is indeed able to meet the office work needs. My situation is that my office hardware is a separate computer from my home gaming pc. I'm trying to decide exactly what I want to do with regards to updating the monitor setup in both places.

One option is buy a gaming monitor for home and move my Dell monitor from home to work (its not an ultrawide, but its way better than the 1080p screens I currently have at work).

Another is to buy two monitors, but that's a lot of money. I'm not sure that's worth it.

A third option is to buy the cheapest monitor upgrade for work and keep using my current dell monitor at home. I don't need a new monitor for home, so buying a >800-1000 monitor might not be worth it.

System

9 hours ago, Dr. Prop said:

Thanks for the recommendation! A good gaming ultrawide is indeed able to meet the office work needs. My situation is that my office hardware is a separate computer from my home gaming pc. I'm trying to decide exactly what I want to do with regards to updating the monitor setup in both places.

One option is buy a gaming monitor for home and move my Dell monitor from home to work (its not an ultrawide, but its way better than the 1080p screens I currently have at work).

Another is to buy two monitors, but that's a lot of money. I'm not sure that's worth it.

A third option is to buy the cheapest monitor upgrade for work and keep using my current dell monitor at home. I don't need a new monitor for home, so buying a >800-1000 monitor might not be worth it.

So is your work computer at a different place or is it just a seperate computer?

If they are in seperate locations, use the Dell 28" 4K one for your office work.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:44 AM, Stahlmann said:

So is your work computer at a different place or is it just a seperate computer?

If they are in seperate locations, use the Dell 28" 4K one for your office work.

They are in separate locations. So the plan you recommended is probably what will happen.

System

11 minutes ago, Dr. Prop said:

They are in separate locations. So the plan you recommended is probably what will happen.

That's what i'd recommend. If you still need more screen space for your work you can always buy another monitor, but first i'd try out how it works for you.