Is the CX450M PSU good enough for Ryzen 5 1600 and RTX 3060/3060ti?

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

Got a friend with a PC running a Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1080. Given that it's a very similar power draw, and that the 3060 does not have as bad power spikes as the other RTX cards of this generation, I would think this would be just fine.

As the title says. I have an opportunity to buy either one, but I'm not sure my psu can handle it. I've read some forum posts about it, but I'm still indecisive since not all people agree on this and the guys talking about this all had a bit different pc specs. My opinion is that it should be fine since the TDPs are 65W for the cpu + 170 or 200W for the 3060/3060ti. I don't plan on overclocking and I don't mind downclocking the gpu if any crashes were to happen due to power spikes. Also since I've got only 60Hz monitor, I usually lock game fps to 60 as well. I do this, so I don't run the gpu on full blast all the time, because I don't like the fan noise. I think this should eliminate the potential power spikes and crashes. Also what gpu do you guys think I should get? If I manage to sell the 580, they're gonna cost me like 160 or 320 USD. Now that I'm writing it, I think the 3060 might be a better option lol.

My pc specs are:

Ryzen 5 1600 w/ no oc

RX 580 8GB

2x8GB DDR4 ram

CX450M psu

1x M.2 NVMe ssd

1x 7.2k RPM hdd

60Hz 1080p monitor

Got a friend with a PC running a Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1080. Given that it's a very similar power draw, and that the 3060 does not have as bad power spikes as the other RTX cards of this generation, I would think this would be just fine.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Thank you for such a quick reply! That's great to hear. Do you think it would be also fine with the 3060ti?

6 minutes ago, vonStrucker said:

Thank you for such a quick reply! That's great to hear. Do you think it would be also fine with the 3060ti?

It depends on the card. Some 3060ti's need 2 8pin PCIe connectors and your PSU only has one natively. You can get SATA or Molex to 6+2 PCIe cables but I don't recommend using them. The 3060 peaks at around 170W, the 3060ti around 200W. I'd stick with a 3060 on a CX450 but either will work with your hardware configuration.