Window defender RAM usage

pinkua

Hello, guys.

Recently, i found out that my window defender(antimaleware service) using over 200~320mb on idle or when I browsing.

Also sometime it will hit over 700mbs 

Is this something i should worried about? like virus or is it normal for a system that have 32gb of ram on window.

ty!

seems normal to me.

if you have 32gb of ram I would say windows is just being windows.

If you want you can attach a screenshot of the task manager screen and I can look at it.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

In my experience, that's pretty normal and I don't think it's an indication that you have a virus. Looking at my laptop right now, it's using around 450MB. You could run a virus scan if you're worried, but I don't think you need to worry. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

37 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

In my experience, that's pretty normal and I don't think it's an indication that you have a virus. Looking at my laptop right now, it's using around 450MB. You could run a virus scan if you're worried, but I don't think you need to worry. 

I'm using 200-300Mb daily average, can go higher if i'm doing file transfers and such or game installs..

Plus Windows apps tend to use a little bit more with the more RAM you have, not by a lot, some sometimes a difference that's measurable, it doesn't mean that anything is wrong though.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

17 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

seems normal to me.

if you have 32gb of ram I would say windows is just being windows.

If you want you can attach a screenshot of the task manager screen and I can look at it.

sorry i went to sleep yesterday XD. i will post the screen shot once i get back home! tysm for reply!

17 hours ago, bellabichon said:

I see you i was just over acting or worrying too much about it! tysm for the reply!

17 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I'm using 200-300Mb daily average, can go higher if i'm doing file transfers and such or game installs..

Plus Windows apps tend to use a little bit more with the more RAM you have, not by a lot, some sometimes a difference that's measurable, it doesn't mean that anything is wrong though.

right i guess i was worring too much since last time i checked again it came back to normal number which is 170mb! ty so much for the reply now i do not have to worry about it anymore!