Memory OC

So. I haven't come across my specific predicament, maybe you guys can help.  My current CPU only supports up to 3200 MB of memory.   I bought a set of B die RAM sticks 3600 MB 14-15-15-36 @1.4v . Should I just the memory at 3200 and work on timings?  Typically the first thing you do is loosen timings and try to get the highest frequency you can, but in my specific situation I'm not sure how to approach this. Can you help me?

System specs please. Cpu and mainboard at least...... then we could continue.

Most CPUs only officially support 3200MHz, but if the motherboard supports memory overclocking you should be able to run at whatever speed the IMC can handle. If yours only can handle 3200MHz, that's one thing, but there are very few CPUs out there that can't run above that outside of 1st and 2nd Gen Ryzen.

Sorry. So Asus Prime Z590 P, I5 11600k PSU 850 gold, RTX3060xc

Intel memory support is generally pretty good. I'd be surprised if you can't just apply the XMP settings and use the RAM at the rated speeds. If you can, you're basically set - 3600 CL14 is already basically as tight as you can go with timings for that speed.

2 hours ago, Jturner said:

So. I haven't come across my specific predicament, maybe you guys can help.  My current CPU only supports up to 3200 MB of memory.   I bought a set of B die RAM sticks 3600 MB 14-15-15-36 @1.4v . Should I just the memory at 3200 and work on timings?  Typically the first thing you do is loosen timings and try to get the highest frequency you can, but in my specific situation I'm not sure how to approach this. Can you help me?

Supports and CAN Use can be two different things.

Supports is the Official Spec.
XMP goes beyond that.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz