10700k Overclocking Tips

Hi all, 

I'm a bit stuck with my oc on the 10700k. 
First off all i just want to find out what my cpu is capable of, I will not run it 24/7 on max oc. 
Currently the max is:
5.1GHZ all core

Ring: 47
1.33V LLC4 --> vcore around 1.337 according to HWInfo64
SA:1.2V(havent tweaked)

IO:1.2V(havent tweaked)

I trie 5.2 GHZ at 1.35V but no luck there.

Setup:
MSI Godlike z490 (good vrams, so no issue there)
32 GB 4*8GB 3200mhz cl16
2080 super
Custom loop

SOOOOO question: 

Any tips for me? 
How much further can I go with voltage?
Any bois settings? (vram frequency ect)

or have I just reached the limit of this cpu 😞

Thanks guys

Cpu voltage overclock varies depending on temp, which you've stated none, so running 0c I'm going to guess, then v-core = sky's the limit....

But really you have to do the testing. I'd try for 80c-85c at load with over-volting maximum full core load temp.

Vccio and system agent, run them as low as you can. 1.2v is probably ok, but you aren't running high frequency enough. I run 1.15v for 4000mhz as an example for both IO/SA.

5.2ghz.... 1.40v on 14nm wouldn't be a surprise.

Unless you got the performance of 2 car radiators in your loop or a golden sample cpu then just dont even bother going higher, cpu oc has been dead since 9th gen anyways so not much oc you can expect

19 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Cpu voltage overclock varies depending on temp, which you've stated none, so running 0c I'm going to guess, then v-core = sky's the limit....

But really you have to do the testing. I'd try for 80c-85c at load with over-volting maximum full core load temp.

Vccio and system agent, run them as low as you can. 1.2v is probably ok, but you aren't running high frequency enough. I run 1.15v for 4000mhz as an example for both IO/SA.

5.2ghz.... 1.40v on 14nm wouldn't be a surprise.

did just run cinebench r23 with settings my current max setting 
Temps peak:81 C

Regarding SA/IO: will tryto turn it down to 1.1V and go from there

Isn't 1.4V a kinda high? I dont know why but in my head i have the number of 1.35V as a "safe" value. (I guess it is for 24/7) 

3 minutes ago, Rngds said:

Isn't 1.4V a kinda high? I dont know why but in my head i have the number of 1.35V as a "safe" value. (I guess it is for 24/7) 

Nah intel spec says max 1.52v, pretty accurate with my rule of thumb for reccomended safe voltage (0.4v under deathzone 1.95v)

1.02% difference between 5.1 and 5.0 just an FYI that it doesn't REALLY Matter because when your CPU bound, that tiny extra bit isn't pulling the weight a RAM speed increase can pull off.

Spoiler

10C 20T i9 10850K I needed for Allcore Overclocking - 1.4v LLC3 = 1.38v for 5.2Ghz, needing 1.35v LLC4=1.33v for 5.1Ghz and 1.33v LLC5=1.26v for 5Ghz

^Inclusive of needing/adding Voltage for Ringbus OC stability as well.

32GB Ram is 4x8GB 4200C16 so it carries the system when not GPU bound anyway.

Don't get too hung up on that last 100Mhz with much more voltage, you'll be PAST your EFFICIENCY Curve and isn't worth the time if you need to Jack Up way more volts for 1.02% (+100Mhz per core)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

21 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Nah intel spec says max 1.52v, pretty accurate with my rule of thumb for reccomended safe voltage (0.4v under deathzone 1.95v)

okay didnt know that, thanks 

19 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

1.02% difference between 5.1 and 5.0 just an FYI that it doesn't REALLY Matter because when your CPU bound, that tiny extra bit isn't pulling the weight a RAM speed increase can pull off.

Reveal hidden contents

10C 20T i9 10850K I needed for Allcore Overclocking - 1.4v LLC3 = 1.38v for 5.2Ghz, needing 1.35v LLC4=1.33v for 5.1Ghz and 1.33v LLC5=1.26v for 5Ghz

^Inclusive of needing/adding Voltage for Ringbus OC stability as well.

32GB Ram is 4x8GB 4200C16 so it carries the system when not GPU bound anyway.

Don't get too hung up on that last 100Mhz with much more voltage, you'll be PAST your EFFICIENCY Curve and isn't worth the time if you need to Jack Up way more volts for 1.02% (+100Mhz per core)

sure ik that OCing is a "stupid" thing to do, still want to see what it would be capable of

3 hours ago, Rngds said:

sure ik that OCing is a "stupid" thing to do, still want to see what it would be capable of

I bring up 1.02% for +100Mhz because some people forget basic maths but will spend hours getting 1% gains.

+200-400Mhz and Higher I have no issue with really.

Its the LAST 100Mhz thats time wasting, usually out of the effeciency curve and requires more time and voltage than originally thought.

But the learning is fun to me too.. albiet time consuming

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

On 1/20/2022 at 6:19 PM, Rngds said:

did just run cinebench r23 with settings my current max setting 
Temps peak:81 C

Regarding SA/IO: will tryto turn it down to 1.1V and go from there

1.4v at 5.2ghz would be average. "High" perhaps for a daily v-core, but also starts getting difficult to keep cool. So 5.2ghz is about the max frequency you can obtain on ambient air temps, no matter what custom loop. Some may clock up to 5.4ghz with a bit of chilling. 

If you're trying just for a max out, you can disable HT. That should help with the temps a little bit. Max frequency total, heck cut it down to 2 cores. 

My max frequency with core reduction was done with an AMD FX-8300 running 7685mhz max freq. One of my favorite things to do with chips 🙂