(Seeking Help) Electricity spikes through cables and accessories | issue with power supply

EstrandR

Hello, For some reason, when I touch the edge of my keyboard, electricity goes from the keyboard to my hands, which is very bothersome and definitely isn't supposed to happen. My keyboard has a detachable cable, so I disconnected the cable, touched it with bare hands, and it still had spikes of electricity. 

At first I thought the cables were at fault, but when I connected the cables to other sources (like a phone charger), they didn't spike any electricity, and it seems to be happening with every cable that is connected to the MB and the case. (Mouse cable, headphones, and keyboard).

This is definitely an issue with my PC and not the accessories. Whether it's from the MB, case, or power supply, I can't find out why it's happening and how I can stop it. Any help or advice would be highly appreciated! Also, let me know if you need more information! Thank you. 

Basically, too much power is going through my computer that when you touch metal-based accessories connected to it and the heads of the cables, you can feel a lot of electricity going through your body, and I don't know why it is happening or how to fix it. It just started happening 2 days ago (the only thing I did was install the new update for Windows 11).

7 minutes ago, EstrandR said:

Basically, too much power is going through my computer that when you touch metal-based accessories connected to it and the heads of the cables, you can feel a lot of electricity going through your body, and I don't know why it is happening or how to fix it. It just started happening 2 days ago (the only thing I did was install the new update for Windows 11).

Its far more likely you are building up a static charge and when you touch the keyboard its being grounded over the USB cable and discharging it.

I also have to be careful when plugging in external powered USB HDDs, as the HDDs PSUs have no ground I can see a visible spark as the USB cable ground comes into contact with the REAL grounded connector on the PC.  If my finger gets in the way you really can feel it.

Neither of these things are a problem with the PC.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

12 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its far more likely you are building up a static charge and when you touch the keyboard its being grounded over the USB cable and discharging it.

I also have to be careful when plugging in external powered USB HDDs, as the HDDs PSUs have no ground I can see a visible spark as the USB cable ground comes into contact with the REAL grounded connector on the PC.  If my finger gets in the way you really can feel it.

Neither of these things are a problem with the PC.

This makes sense, but this is happening with every cable and accessory that is connected to the PC. I tested everything with a metal texture and it discharged electricity. How might I fix the issue? If there's a way to fix it, because this doesn't feel right. 

Might help by identifying what the ambient humidity is in the room.  If nothing has changed on your setup, then that's the first place I'd investigate.  If you live in a place like SLC, where there's maybe 10% humidity mid-winter, you're going to get shocked a LOT.  (Which is also why I got a humidistat and a water-feed installed on my HVAC). 

3 minutes ago, EstrandR said:

This makes sense, but this is happening with every cable and accessory that is connected to the PC. I tested everything with a metal texture and it discharged electricity. How might I fix the issue? If there's a way to fix it, because this doesn't feel right. 

I should hope so, if any cable WASN'T grounded to the PC it would cause issues with anything connected to it. 😉  Not to mention if it didn't discharge to ground, it might discharge down a data pin and fry the USB port.

That video LTT did with Electroboom about it being hard to break electronics with static kinda missed the point, it can survive but every shock risks reducing the life span of the components you shocked.  The fact you're being grounded is a good thing to avoid that.

So no, there isn't really a fix other than trying to solve why you're getting charged with static to begin with.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its far more likely you are building up a static charge

I don't think that's what's going on here.

If a computer power supply is connected to an ungrounded power outlet the input filter applies some pretty significant voltage to the chassis. (which is due to the design of the filter that assumes the PSU chassis is connected to earth). That can cause some nasty shocks.

So to the OP there's an easy fix: ground the chassis. (aka plug into a grounded outlet).

5 hours ago, EstrandR said:

Hello, For some reason, when I touch the edge of my keyboard, electricity goes from the keyboard to my hands, which is very bothersome and definitely isn't supposed to happen. My keyboard has a detachable cable, so I disconnected the cable, touched it with bare hands, and it still had spikes of electricity. 

At first I thought the cables were at fault, but when I connected the cables to other sources (like a phone charger), they didn't spike any electricity, and it seems to be happening with every cable that is connected to the MB and the case. (Mouse cable, headphones, and keyboard).

This is definitely an issue with my PC and not the accessories. Whether it's from the MB, case, or power supply, I can't find out why it's happening and how I can stop it. Any help or advice would be highly appreciated! Also, let me know if you need more information! Thank you. 

Your AC outlets are not grounded.

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Your AC outlets are not grounded.

mwo,x1000,ipad_2_snap-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

No surprised face?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

I don't think that's what's going on here.

If a computer power supply is connected to an ungrounded power outlet the input filter applies some pretty significant voltage to the chassis. (which is due to the design of the filter that assumes the PSU chassis is connected to earth). That can cause some nasty shocks.

So to the OP there's an easy fix: ground the chassis. (aka plug into a grounded outlet).

I completely forgot it could be the reverse, doh.  To think I did an electrical engineering course too. (well some of it, for health reasons I didn't pass the practical)

On 1/19/2022 at 10:48 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

I completely forgot it could be the reverse, doh

Well to be honest, if you live in the UK you have no reason to assume an outlet could be unearthed.

13 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Well to be honest, if you live in the UK you have no reason to assume an outlet could be unearthed.

Always a reason to assume that.  I assume that every house I own has had a moron for a prior owner, and I expect to find "not quite up to code" everywhere.