Magnetically wall-mounting am extender

stefanmz
Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
Just now, stefanmz said:

Well I was thinking if magnets are not possible drywall anchors but how am I going to hang it on the drywall anchors. It's not a painting it doesn't have mounting points at the back it's probably flat so?

Every power strip I've ever seen (at least in USALand) has screw hole mounts on the back.

If yours doesn't have that, then whatever you use, will damage the drywall (velcro mounting take, glued magnets, etc) when you try to remove it.

If you don't care about that, then velcro tape might be a better bet, full length of the power strip and matching length on the drywall

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-Brand-4-ft-x-2-in-Industrial-Strength-Tape-90593/202261931

Hey,so I want to wall mount a power plug which is an extender with 4 sockets to the wall. How do I do this magnetically if it doesn't have that option from the manufacturer? Like can I glue a magnet to the back of it and then one to the wall or something? What do you think? Also if you think it's a bad idea what isthe best plan if I don't want drilling?

7 minutes ago, stefanmz said:

Like can I glue a magnet to the back of it

That would work...

7 minutes ago, stefanmz said:

and then one to the wall

That would be a very bad idea if it's drywall.

CMU is a different story

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

That would work...

That would be a very bad idea if it's drywall.

CMU is a different story

What is CMU?

1 hour ago, stefanmz said:

What is CMU?

Concrete Masonry Unit (aka Cinder block, tho cinder hasn't been used in blocks for decades)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

17 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Concrete Masonry Unit (aka Cinder block, tho cinder hasn't been used in blocks for decades)

Well sorry I looked into it but it includes construction.  Has to be something I can do without handyman and without modifications to the wall

On 1/19/2022 at 1:48 AM, Radium_Angel said:

Hey,so do you have any ideas of magnetically mounting it(the extender I mean forget about the CMU I can't do that) that you can suggest? Like if you know some magnetic mounting kit that I don't know of? Or something DIY? Anything?

Your challenge is going to be getting the magnetic to mount on the wall.

What kind of wall do you have?

19 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Your challenge is going to be getting the magnetic to mount on the wall.

What kind of wall do you have?

Well drywall 

1 hour ago, stefanmz said:

Well drywall 

That's the weakpoint, drywall, unless you hit a stud with a screw, was never designed to hold anything of weight, now if you can drill, then just screw it into place. 

On 1/18/2022 at 12:04 PM, stefanmz said:

power plug which is an extender with 4 sockets

You mean a power strip, correct? 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's the weakpoint, drywall, unless you hit a stud with a screw, was never designed to hold anything of weight, now if you can drill, then just screw it into place. 

You mean a power strip, correct? 

yes power strip

18 minutes ago, stefanmz said:

yes power strip

Any reason you can screw it into the drywall?

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Any reason you can screw it into the drywall?

Well I was thinking if magnets are not possible drywall anchors but how am I going to hang it on the drywall anchors. It's not a painting it doesn't have mounting points at the back it's probably flat so?

Just now, stefanmz said:

Every power strip I've ever seen (at least in USALand) has screw hole mounts on the back.

If yours doesn't have that, then whatever you use, will damage the drywall (velcro mounting take, glued magnets, etc) when you try to remove it.

If you don't care about that, then velcro tape might be a better bet, full length of the power strip and matching length on the drywall

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-Brand-4-ft-x-2-in-Industrial-Strength-Tape-90593/202261931

17 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Awesome thanks! I will check if it has screw hole mounts if not I am getting the velcro tape

If you use the screw hole mounts, make yourself a drilling template by photocopying the back of the power strip. It's a LOT easier to get the screws in the right spots that way.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

52 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If you use the screw hole mounts, make yourself a drilling template by photocopying the back of the power strip. It's a LOT easier to get the screws in the right spots that way.

Ok that's a good idea thanks!