Changed a case, now motherboard wont even boot.

Najain

24 pins connection checked

8/4 cpu connection checked

psu connections checked

All the setup was working today prior to the new case installation.

My guess is that i somehow killed my motherboard during the installation.

But what does the red flashing light mean? Someone please help.

Does anything happen when you press the power button or is everything just blank? I will say newer motherboards are pretty durable and if it was working before it would take a quite alot of force to kill it. 

Also make sure and check that the cpu connector at the top of the board that you had the video aimed at has the cpu port from the power supply plugged into it and not the GPU connectors that are also provided with the power supply they are interchangeable I will say I have done it before myself. A system will not boot if those are swapped.

• 9 months later...

Hi - I know this is an old thread but did you ever resolve this? I recently benched a motherboard with processor, fans, m.2 setup and installed it into case - no boot, no apparent power, no lights - nothing.

This has repeated itself 2 times. I will add that I plugged the wireless card into the wireless slot, plugged in the USB 2 & 3 and sound - the rest was on the bench working. The GPU and CPU power connectors are not swapped. 

I have to try and determine if the PS is doing what it is supposed to do - provide power. The connectors appear to be seated for CPU and Main Power just no lights on power switch or any signs of life - Today I am going to pull out the MB and bench it again with the wireless card installed and will disassemble the USB 2 and 3 front connector and plug that in as well. 

Question: what do you look out for to determine if there is a dead short on case/motherboard area? 3 standoffs have been replaced in the case due to damage. I don't know if that is causing any issues.  Any ideas anyone? Please advise. Thank you

20221116_110221.jpg

18 minutes ago, Holden53 said:

Hi - I know this is an old thread but did you ever resolve this? I recently benched a motherboard with processor, fans, m.2 setup and installed it into case - no boot, no apparent power, no lights - nothing.

This has repeated itself 2 times. I will add that I plugged the wireless card into the wireless slot, plugged in the USB 2 & 3 and sound - the rest was on the bench working. The GPU and CPU power connectors are not swapped. 

I have to try and determine if the PS is doing what it is supposed to do - provide power. The connectors appear to be seated for CPU and Main Power just no lights on power switch or any signs of life - Today I am going to pull out the MB and bench it again with the wireless card installed and will disassemble the USB 2 and 3 front connector and plug that in as well. 

Question: what do you look out for to determine if there is a dead short on case/motherboard area? 3 standoffs have been replaced in the case due to damage. I don't know if that is causing any issues.  Any ideas anyone? Please advise. Thank you

20221116_110221.jpg

The audiable click on the original post was a give away it's a short as the PSU was cutting out as a safety feature.

The honest answer through, as smart as people want to appear, at home you can't really determine what's faulty with something like this other than literally just replacing the parts until it works.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

8 minutes ago, solado said:

The audiable click on the original post was a give away it's a short as the PSU was cutting out as a safety feature.

The honest answer through, as smart as people want to appear, at home you can't really determine what's faulty with something like this other than literally just replacing the parts until it works.

No click but I will try and listen more closely - Thanks - Yes changing parts or getting everything down to basics is back to A+ training - in my case it may be the stand-offs i installed are causing a no boot or dead short on the case - I will rebench a 3rd time and reinstall and listen - thanks for the reply.