After power surge caused by lightning strike nearby - one monitor is tinted yellow

Filingo

A lightning hit a building near me, the RCD popped. Now I tried to connect the two monitors and now is tinted yellow with weird symbols instead of Windows cursor.

The same monitor works OK when I unplug the second monitor from the GPU, that's why I suspect something in the GPU is damaged.

Or, I accidentally activated some settings I'm not aware of.

lol.thumb.jpeg.466066ec1695d6f26fdf0ed9ec2c462e.jpeg

lol2.thumb.jpeg.4d33e58dce6bf2a8ca650d89da348713.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Filingo said:

A lightning hit a building near me, the RCD popped. Now I tried to connect the two monitors and now is tinted yellow with weird symbols instead of Windows cursor

Did you lose power to the PC as well at that time? If not, try shutting down everything and leave power disconnected for a full 2 minutes. Then reconnect and power on; see if that resolves the issue. If it does, chances are you had corrupted data in RAM or VRAM someplace; either in the PC or inside a controller within the monitor itself via a bit-flip event.

If the issue is permanent, chances are lightning fried something via the EMP event.

Yes when the RCD popped 

14 minutes ago, Heliian said:

Uh oh, something bad has happened.  Try to reload the drivers but you may have damage somewhere in the system.  

Oh crap, this is my cheap PC, my other PC has a good GPU. How can I check if it's also damaged? ( I didn't know this PC had damage until I tried this monitor configuration, so I wonder if the other PC is damaged as well but I still don't know it)

4 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Did you lose power to the PC as well at that time? If not, try shutting down everything and leave power disconnected for a full 2 minutes. Then reconnect and power on; see if that resolves the issue. If it does, chances are you had corrupted data in RAM or VRAM someplace; either in the PC or inside a controller within the monitor itself via a bit-flip event.

If the issue is permanent, chances are lightning fried something via the EMP event.

Yes the main breaker popped so we had everything shut down.

As mentioned above, I have another PC which is slightly more expensive, is there a way to check if it's good? And not wait until I connect a monitor or something? Maybe a testing software / stress test?

37 minutes ago, Filingo said:

As mentioned above, I have another PC which is slightly more expensive, is there a way to check if it's good? And not wait until I connect a monitor or something? Maybe a testing software / stress test?

Lightning damage is so insidious, so it's difficult to say.

What I can recommend however is run MemTest86 from a bootable USB flash-drive. Let it run as many passes as it can for 24 hours to see if errors crop up. This will only test the CPU and RAM. Unfortunately there's no official way of checking VRAM for dGPUs. The closest there is for Nvidia is MODS (Modular Diagnostic Software), but it's a bit of a gray area being it's not officially available or supported to the end-user.

For Intel CPUs, you can check its registers with the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. Unfortunately AMD doesn't have one of their own.

Other then that, best of luck isolating the scope of the problem. Lightning damage is really difficult to track down. Depending on your insurance policy coverage, it might be best to see if it's covered and total the value of it for a replacement after making an assessment of what is and isn't faulty.

Definitely insidious! And it sounded like a missile exploding. 

So sad, I just bought two new 4TB HDDs in the same PC where the GPU was damaged, hopefully they're not damaged as well...

thank you, will do these tests