weird cpu voltage issue...?

Hey guys, I am still using an Intel Core i7-7700K, Latey I was trying to overclock it to 4.8GHz.
I've set the 'CPU Core/Cache Voltage' setting in the BIOS to Manual@1.30V.

After booting into the os. I found out that the CPU voltage has been capped on 1.232v.

I've ran AIDA64 Stress FPU test and CINEBENCH R23. the system just works fine without BSOD, no overheat throtting as well, then I go back to the BIOS change the setting of the CPU Voltage to 'AUTO', the CPU voltage can go above 1.4V.

My question is: Does the overclock success? or I should worry about the motherboard/CPU.

40 minutes ago, FakeRLukas said:

Hey guys, I am still using an Intel Core i7-7700K, Latey I was trying to overclock it to 4.8GHz.
I've set the 'CPU Core/Cache Voltage' setting in the BIOS to Manual@1.30V.

After booting into the os. I found out that the CPU voltage has been capped on 1.232v.

I've ran AIDA64 Stress FPU test and CINEBENCH R23. the system just works fine without BSOD, no overheat throtting as well, then I go back to the BIOS change the setting of the CPU Voltage to 'AUTO', the CPU voltage can go above 1.4V.

My question is: Does the overclock success? or I should worry about the motherboard/CPU.

So the question is will a 7700k overvolt past 1.232 successfully and why did you get that error the first time but not the second after running those programs?  your motherboard model and bios version might be useful for this.

As to the OC thing, OCs are never guaranteed.  That’s why they’re overclocks.  If the things did it every time they’d just advertise a higher base boost clock and charge more money.  This is I think why OC gains have been reducing for some years. It used to be like 40% most of the time, and now it seems to be like 10% if you’re lucky.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So the question is will a 7700k overvolt past 1.232 successfully and why did you get that error the first time but not the second after running those programs?  your motherboard model and bios version might be useful for this.

As to the OC thing, OCs are never guaranteed.  That’s why they’re overclocks.  If the things did it every time they’d just advertise a higher base boost clock and charge more money.  This is I think why OC gains have been reducing for some years. It used to be like 40% most of the time, and now it seems to be like 10% if you’re lucky.  

My motherboard is ASUS PRIME Z270-A. BIOS 1302(the latest version).

I've tested the CPU stock frequency then I got the same weird CPU voltage issue.  Even on the stock frequency when Voltage is set to 'Manual' and whatever number you put, It max out at 1.21~1.23V. When it is set to 'Auto', it will still go above 1.4V.

So I assume my motherboard has some issue with the VRM. Need to find a time to RMA it.

Thanks for your help anyway.😀

1 hour ago, FakeRLukas said:

My motherboard is ASUS PRIME Z270-A. BIOS 1302(the latest version).

I've tested the CPU stock frequency then I got the same weird CPU voltage issue.  Even on the stock frequency when Voltage is set to 'Manual' and whatever number you put, It max out at 1.21~1.23V. When it is set to 'Auto', it will still go above 1.4V.

So I assume my motherboard has some issue with the VRM. Need to find a time to RMA it.

Thanks for your help anyway.😀

Seems I’m spamming this one maybe, but seeing varying voltage, you may find a recent LTT video useful. Had a link.  It’s no longer in my copy/paste
has Anthony diagnosing Linus’es PC and talks about boost.  Could be useful.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.