Windows just stopped working?

GenericBot1

Hey guys so I had my pc running when I was away from my house and came back to my motherboards boot screen and a message that said « preparing automatic repair «  and the leading me to a blue screen where it asks me to continue, troubleshoot, or turn off the pc. I’ve tried some of the trouble shooting options but everything apparently failed. What happened and is there any way I can fix it without resetting my pc? My actual pc appears to be the same as a left it. I have no idea how this happened since I wasn’t home. Anyone know?

It is hard to tell what went wrong especially since you were away when the PC started erroring out... Since it does not boot to Windows the Master boot record (MBR) or GUID partitioning table (GPT) might have been corrupted. Or, system files could have been corrupted too, leading to a no-boot scenario.

What you will need to do is enter the command prompt in the  recovery mode and attempt these commands:

Type "C:" to navigate to the C: drive (Windows)

Type "sfc /scannow" which will run some scans to detect if windows system files are corrupted

Alternatively go to the command prompt again:

Type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" which will start the DISM (Deployment Imaging Service Management) and it will attempt repairs

After typing both of these commands, restart and see if the issue is resolved before continuing.

DO NOT PROCEED with the MBR or GPT repair until you can determine what your boot record type is!!!

https://pureinfotech.com/check-gpt-mbr-partition-windows-10/

Detailed information on repairing the MBR or GPT can be found on these sites, they are very thorough:

https://pureinfotech.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows-10/

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000124331/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-on-a-gpt-hdd-for-windows-7-8-8-1-and-10-on-your-dell-pc

If your computer is still not working after attempting these repairs, the Windows installation is pretty much beyond repair. You can still retrieve your files by plugging in a powered SATA to usb adapter and copying them to another computer.

Please quote me in your messages so that I am notified!

Remember to mark my post as answer if it answered your question!

Thank you! 😄

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @4.5ghz| Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS M Micro-atx | 

RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance @ 3200mhz | GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Vega 56 | 

Case: Cooler Master NR400 | Storage: 512gb ADATA SX8200 Pro, some 2tb hard drives | 

PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w Platinum | Display(s):Viewsonic XG2402 / AOC I2367FH | 

Cooling: Scythe Kabuto 3 / 3x Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans | Keyboard: Corsair K65 Lux | 

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon | Sound: Steelseries Arctis 3 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home

3 hours ago, Kaaverik said:

It is hard to tell what went wrong especially since you were away when the PC started erroring out... Since it does not boot to Windows the Master boot record (MBR) or GUID partitioning table (GPT) might have been corrupted. Or, system files could have been corrupted too, leading to a no-boot scenario.

What you will need to do is enter the command prompt in the  recovery mode and attempt these commands:

Type "sfc /scannow" which will run some scans to detect if windows system files are corrupted

Alternatively go to the command prompt again:

Type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" which will start the DISM (Deployment Imaging Service Management) and it will attempt repairs

After typing both of these commands, restart and see if the issue is resolved before continuing.

DO NOT PROCEED with the MBR or GPT repair until you can determine what your boot record type is!!!

https://pureinfotech.com/check-gpt-mbr-partition-windows-10/

Detailed information on repairing the MBR or GPT can be found on these sites, they are very thorough:

https://pureinfotech.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows-10/

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000124331/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-on-a-gpt-hdd-for-windows-7-8-8-1-and-10-on-your-dell-pc

If your computer is still not working after attempting these repairs, the Windows installation is pretty much beyond repair. You can still retrieve your files by plugging in a powered SATA to usb adapter and copying them to another computer.

I tried these and both didn’t work and it said failure

9 minutes ago, GenericBot1 said:

I tried these and both didn’t work and it said failure

At this point there is nothing much that can really be done. Windows is beyond repair on that disk.

3 hours ago, Kaaverik said:

Now is the time to backup your files, and note down your applications you need to reinstall.

You can try to reinstall Windows on the disk if you want, or start off fresh with a new one. Those are my best suggestions. It is not worth trying to fix Windows, it is much easier and faster to backup your data elsewhere and recover.

Please quote me in your messages so that I am notified!

Remember to mark my post as answer if it answered your question!

Thank you! 😄

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @4.5ghz| Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS M Micro-atx | 

RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance @ 3200mhz | GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Vega 56 | 

Case: Cooler Master NR400 | Storage: 512gb ADATA SX8200 Pro, some 2tb hard drives | 

PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w Platinum | Display(s):Viewsonic XG2402 / AOC I2367FH | 

Cooling: Scythe Kabuto 3 / 3x Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans | Keyboard: Corsair K65 Lux | 

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon | Sound: Steelseries Arctis 3 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home