Help with NORDVPN on Ubuntu Linux and using VNC

nightmarevoid

This post is brought to you by today's sponsor, NORDVPN.

With nordvpn you'll install curl libraries on ubuntu just to install it using this command straight from nordvpn's support website.

sh <(curl -sSf https://downloads.nordcdn.com/apps/linux/install.sh)

Which will work, but will result in VNC not working because the linux version does not ignore local connections by default!

No problem, just add the whitelist for your local subnet using the command:

nordvpn whitelist add subnet 192.168.1.0/1

which will not work because nordvpn will tell you it already has a whitelist for 128.0.0.0/40... except that's definitely not what I tried to add, and when I check the whitelist that's not in there. On top of that it won't let me change the whitelist until I disconnect from the vpn. I do that, delete all entries in the whitelist, and then nordvpn won't even connnect, giving me the error that something went wrong and nothing else...

The command to uninstall nordvpn is:

sudo apt-get --purge remove 'nordvpn*'

which will work, and then you can install nordvpn again using the first command and add the whitelist entry before anything has a chance to go wrong.

This will result in the message added 128.0.0.0/40 to whitelist... again, that's not what I tried to add. Nordvpn also still won't connect.

uninstalling and reinstalling nordvpn again, this time restarting between each step, will result in a broken install that still says it can't connect... Except that it did, apparently.

using the command

nordvpn status

after connecting will show that there is an active connection, and disconnecting will terminate it, even though this command also reports failing.

At this point I'm not sure what's true or what to believe. Any help with today's sponsor will be greatly appreciated!

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)