Aorus PCIe4 adapter for RAID0 2xSSD, does it makes sense ?

PDifolco

Hello

My rig already has a boot 500GB Sabrent Gen4 Nvme , a 2TB NVme Gen 4 SN850, and a backup Toshiba X300 4TB HDD (I put aside the Samsung 860 1TB SATA SSD that is my Linux Mint drive...)

I'm thinking about getting a second SN850 2TB, but would like to see both SN850 as a 4TB rather than 2x2TB, it'll match the backup HDD size

Sooo I've looked at stuff and seems you need RAID0 config to get that, along with perf increase (to the cost of failure increase, but data will be backupped..)

Now I have a 3900X CPU on a X570 Aorus Pro mobo, it has only 2 M2 slots but I got a simple PCie x4 adapter to put a third in

Question are

Can I do a RAID0 config without any adapter ? Do I have to put both M2s in specific slots for them to work (I'm a bit lost with the PCie4 lanes, from CPU chipset blabla..), keeping in mind that my boot drive won't be RAIDed ?

Would it be helpful to get the Aorus Gen4 AIC adapter to put both M2s, on a x8 slot ? (I know my GPU will then go down to x8 but it seems not a big deal even for my 3080)

Then I don't have Win10 Pro so will have to rely either on BIOS RAID0 or are there some good software that can be used ?

I'm not really budget limited, so telling me that it's wasted money won't help, I know I'm sinking money in my PC 🙂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

43 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Hello

My rig already has a boot 500GB Sabrent Gen4 Nvme , a 2TB NVme Gen 4 SN850, and a backup Toshiba X300 4TB HDD (I put aside the Samsung 860 1TB SATA SSD that is my Linux Mint drive...)

I'm thinking about getting a second SN850 2TB, but would like to see both SN850 as a 4TB rather than 2x2TB, it'll match the backup HDD size

Sooo I've looked at stuff and seems you need RAID0 config to get that, along with perf increase (to the cost of failure increase, but data will be backupped..)

Now I have a 3900X CPU on a X570 Aorus Pro mobo, it has only 2 M2 slots but I got a simple PCie x4 adapter to put a third in

Question are

Can I do a RAID0 config without any adapter ? Do I have to put both M2s in specific slots for them to work (I'm a bit lost with the PCie4 lanes, from CPU chipset blabla..), keeping in mind that my boot drive won't be RAIDed ?

Would it be helpful to get the Aorus Gen4 AIC adapter to put both M2s, on a x8 slot ? (I know my GPU will then go down to x8 but it seems not a big deal even for my 3080)

Then I don't have Win10 Pro so will have to rely either on BIOS RAID0 or are there some good software that can be used ?

I'm not really budget limited, so telling me that it's wasted money won't help, I know I'm sinking money in my PC 🙂

My memory is nvme can be made to to hardware OR software raid, but not both.  So I don’t know if it would work at all. Currently raid0 in nvme in general doesn’t make a lot of sense as it reduces reliability and the speed gain is kinda pointless.  Worse one of the NVMEs is likely to go through the chipset so the speed gain will be even lower. Unless you’ve got files you want to store that are larger individually than 2tb I personally don’t see a lot of point irrelevant of whether it will work or not. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

My memory is nvme can be made to to hardware OR software raid, but not both.  So I don’t know if it would work at all. Currently raid0 in nvme in general doesn’t make a lot of sense as it reduces reliability and the speed gain is kinda pointless.  Worse one of the NVMEs is likely to go through the chipset so the speed gain will be even lower. Unless you’ve got files you want to store that are larger individually than 2tb I personally don’t see a lot of point irrelevant of whether it will work or not. 

Sure I didn't want to use hardware and software together, just know which one is easier to setup..

Regarding speed I can't lose any, and failure (which is still a pretty rare occurence for some  time) isn't a big issue with backups and ias t's mostly a game drive, I would just have to reinstall them.. Else I would use RAID1 :)

About chipset/CPU lanes how can I check how it works ?

Edited by PDifolco
added stuff

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones