ASROCK NVMe drive causes boot screen to freeze, no keyboard input

RJ45-Dude

I was recently building a computer using the ASROCK B365m Pro-f as my main motherboard, and I wanted to use a 512gb NVMe SSD for games and a 250gb ssd for my OS. However, when I first popped in my NVMe SSD, it would boot to the ASROCK boot screen, but my keyboard wouldn't work - I couldn't access BIOS or the quick boot screen - and it would just sit on the boot screen. I thought it was because my NVMe drive had a version of windows on it, and that it was causing problems, so I tried to wipe the drive (I couldn't wipe the drive, though, as I didn't have an NVMe to USB adapter, so I popped it into a desktop and booted to Macrium Reflect from a USB, where I then used the software to delete all the partitions and copy the Macrium Software from the USB drive onto the NVMe drive - since the Macrium Reflect Portable didn't have any proprietary drivers, I thought it wouldn't cause a problem). However, when I popped the NVMe back in, I had the same problem, so I checked everything - I ran and installed all the drivers that came on the disk for my motherboard, I made sure my BIOS was updated, but to no avail...

Thanks to anyone who helps!

The B365 Chipset from Intel supports only 20 PCI-E Lanes. 16 for GPU and the rest for everything else (Storage [SSD, HDD, Intel Optane], I/O, some even Sound and Internet)

My guess is you are hitting that limit and for some reason it just disables 1 USB Controller. Check in your BIOS if you can change the usage of these lanes. 

• 8 months later...

I can confirm the issue:

same motherboard. During BIOS POST it would get stuck on the BIOS screen, which shows the menu, to press f2 for BIO and f11 for boot manager.

Keyboard won’t react any more, waiting 10minutes also does not help.

I am using no external GPU. Also the non-f version of the board would support 2 nvme disks.

Weird:

- a newer cheap NVME 256gb Western digital sn530 would hang.

- a older, formerly expensive NVME 1tb Corsair p510 would boot flawlessly without hanging and appear error-free in BIOS.

I think the BIOS version sucks. Unfortunately only the non-f version of the board has newer bios downloads available.

I dont think it is missing lanes as the Corsair would boot. I am suspecting different NVME protocol versions, newer protocol versions maybe are not supported?

• 1 year later...

Hey OP did you solve this? Same problem here… one NVME works flawlessly and another (more expensive and faster NVME) doesn’t boot and hangs the splash screen. I’m currently using a very low end 256GB NVME boot drive but I want to switch to a 4TB Crucial NVME, but the Crucial NVME cause the splash screen to hang like yours. (Yes I tested the Crucial NVME in another system and it works just fine)