Recommandations on a new PC

Asiratlan

Budget (including currency): Around 2500 CAD, could go up to 3k depending on GPU availability

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly about running current and upcoming game title, I'm trying to last the whole game generation with the same PC.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):  I plan to keep my current PC Case and HDDs. I also have a CPU Cooler in my stock that I was thinking to use, I provided it in the PCPartPicker build.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/fKVTbh

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo (Black) 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($209.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($176.41 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($169.16 @ Amazon Canada) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB AORUS MASTER Video Card 
Power Supply: EVGA 750 W ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit 
Total: $605.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-28 17:20 EST-0500

Is there any recommandation you would have for me to make this build better while keeping a similar price tag. Anything that look wrong with that build? I know that the Motherboard would need a BIOS update to support the Ryzen 7 5800X is there an easy way to do it without having an older Ryzen CPU?

I would definitely get a difference psu. The one you choose is garbage and honestly you want a high quality one and like an 850 watt at least for the rtx 3080. 

Also the motherboard will likely come with an updated bios by now but that isn't 100%. Also if you have a motherboard that allows bios flashing without a cpu then that would allow you to update the bios without needing an older cpu. 

Better cooler, on a 5800x just spring the extra cash for one of the larger dual 140mm tower options like a bequiet dark rock pro 4, Noctua NH d15, etc

A 212 evo is good, but it’s not even as good as the other 120mm tower options out these days, and won’t be a super noticeable change over just the stock cooler.

There is a Canadian PCPP site at ca.pcpartpicker.com.

Secondly, do you have any plan as to where you're getting the 3080 from. Locally here in Vancouver they seem to have been going at over $1800 on CL/FB, and they haven't restocked in ages (not even for the bots...). 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

16 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I would definitely get a difference psu. The one you choose is garbage and honestly you want a high quality one and like an 850 watt at least for the rtx 3080. 

Any recommandation for a mid-tier psu? I don't plan to have any RGB and the PCPartPicker estimated the power requirement at under 600. I'm curious about the power requirements.

9 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Better cooler, on a 5800x just spring the extra cash for one of the larger dual 140mm tower options like a bequiet dark rock pro 4, Noctua NH d15, etc

A 212 evo is good, but it’s not even as good as the other 120mm tower options out these days, and won’t be a super noticeable change over just the stock cooler.

I actually already own one of those that was why I was looking to use it, unless it would not be sufficient to cool off the CPU properly. But as you said, adding some extra cash on a better cooler might not sound too harsh on my budget for the benefits it would bring.

4 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

There is a Canadian PCPP site at ca.pcpartpicker.com.

Secondly, do you have any plan as to where you're getting the 3080 from. Locally here in Vancouver they seem to have been going at over $1800 on CL/FB, and they haven't restocked in ages (not even for the bots...). 

I'm in Quebec, getting the card definitely will be a challenge, my current build have a GTX-970, I was thinking on using it in a case where no GPU would be available at a decent price tag while waiting to buy the GPU upgrade. I will check the Canadian PCPP site thanks 🙂

42 minutes ago, Asiratlan said:

Any recommandation for a mid-tier psu? I don't plan to have any RGB and the PCPartPicker estimated the power requirement at under 600. I'm curious about the power requirements.

I actually already own one of those that was why I was looking to use it, unless it would not be sufficient to cool off the CPU properly. But as you said, adding some extra cash on a better cooler might not sound too harsh on my budget for the benefits it would bring.

The psu recommendation by nvidia is 750 watts. That being said I generally go one up from that to 850 just to be safe and the difference in price between a quality 850 and 750 are usually like 10 bucks. Also for a build that you are spending 2.5k to 3k it would be stupid to go with anything but high quality psu because a bad psu can legit destroy the whole system. Also at 750 watts basically all psus that aren't gold rated or above are really bad. You can't really find a mid tier psu at 750 and above watts. I would typically go for a nice corsair rm series psu.

This is the minimum I would get https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/6Y66Mp/corsair-rm-2019-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020195-na

I would go with 12th gen intel. Get the latest platform and fastest for now. You can get the 12700k for the same price of 5800x. Here is an example build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($499.98 @ Best Buy Canada) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($279.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($134.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB AORUS MASTER Video Card 
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $1284.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-28 19:34 EST-0500

I would say spend money on a good quality psu. Consider even getting 1000W so you can easily upgrade gpu in the future. You don't want to grab a cheap one that will blow up all your nice components. You can check the PSU tier list. Make sure to grab something in A tier.

Also included a gen 4 drive that's on a good deal right now.