First Build.......What to do with it next?

Hi guys I'm new to the forums and to Pc building in general.
So...........Hi :)

I built a pc about a month and a half ago for gaming. (Earlier pc was a 2006 mac mini)
I'm quite excited to know your guys' response to the build.

WvMRqDh.jpg?1

TiRIDsT.jpg?1

jkM3R5v.jpg?1

pc2S5bb.jpg?1

4p90Xv9.jpg?1

Specs and internal pics coming up soon.

As for the stuff other than the pc, i'm using:

Monitor: Dell U2312hm

Speakers: M-Audio AV40

Modem/Router is a dual band Netgear, dunno which but its great.

Keyboard: Razer Deathstalker Expert. I know it's not mechanical :( I made a boo-boo with that decision.

Mouse: Razer Naga Hex, which is lovely for my small Linus-ish hands and great for games like Skyrim.

Mousepad: Razer Goliathus alpha.

Official first post to Linustechtips complete. :D

nice setup, cute little case aswell :D

Character artist in the Games industry.

Keyboard: Razer Deathstalker Expert. I know it's not mechanical :( I made a boo-boo with that decision.

nice build!

Not everbody likes mechanical keyboards, how do you know you made a boo-boo? :D

the setup looks awesome  :D

but whats the config of ur cpu

nice setup, cute little case aswell :D

Thanks. The case is a Bitfenix Prodigy but i'm sure you guys knew that.

As for the keyboard, it just seems like a mechanical would have been a better way to go, cause they seem more pro.

the setup looks awesome  :D

but whats the config of ur cpu

I need to clean out the inside before I post pics of that but here are some of the components used.

g0wRWEX.jpg?2

Specs:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe

CPU: Intel i5-3570k (with stock cooler)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb Black- High Profile

GPU: Nvidia Gtx 660 (Msi Twin Frozr 3)

PSU: Corsair CX600

Hard Drive: Toshiba SATA3 1Tb (6Gb/s)

Fans: 2 front mounted bitfenix spectre led green for inflow.

1 top mounted and 1 back mounted bitfenix spectre for exhaust.

XME3OI7.jpg?1

1u6ay43.jpg?1

VrxBP9p.jpg?1

mvyRpZg.jpg?1

Specs:

XME3OI7.jpg?1

1u6ay43.jpg?1

VrxBP9p.jpg?1

AWESOME

Specs:

XME3OI7.jpg?1

1u6ay43.jpg?1

VrxBP9p.jpg?1

mvyRpZg.jpg?1

Sweet rig! Looks like a smaller version of a Mac Pro :D (but better of course)

Welcome to the forums.  ^_^

I like your build. It's not too often you see these smaller form factor builds, it looks good.

Really appreciate it guys :D. But here's the problem. It looks too simple and i want to change a few things without going overboard.

Just for reference I wanted to go for a black and green themed build.

1) The front panel gets super dusty and i need to clean it often.

2) The green lights inside are weak and the blue power led outshines it.

3) The inside is kinda not nice. I may upgrade to a windowed side panel, so what can i do inside to make it better. (CX600 cables are euchh)

4) Is it smart to  have a windowed panel for the side with the power button?

5) Would it be useful to liquid cool the CPU with a corsair h100/i maybe?

6) Is there any non-permanent design, paint job I can add to the metal part of the case on the side.

Really appreciate it guys :D. But here's the problem. It looks too simple and i want to change a few things without going overboard.

Just for reference I wanted to go for a black and green themed build.

1) The front panel gets super dusty and i need to clean it often.

2) The green lights inside are weak and the blue power led outshines it.

3) The inside is kinda not nice. I may upgrade to a windowed side panel, so what can i do inside to make it better. (CX600 cables are euchh)

4) Is it smart to  have a windowed panel for the side with the power button?

5) Would it be useful to liquid cool the CPU with a corsair h100/i maybe?

6) Is there any non-permanent design, paint job I can add to the metal part of the case on the side.

1 Dusty room perhaps? haha jk :P you could switch the fans, exhaust on the front and intake on top. (im not familiar with the case but dust filters can be bought seperately for 120mm and 140mm fans i believe silverstone has some)

2 could add interior lighting? LED strips, you could buy it for cheaps and just fabricate a connector for it, whether its molex or sata (if you know how to solder, just make sure the voltage for the strips is 12v) there are also kits available. OR you can disconnect the power LED and done (if the fan leds are on then the case is on, right?)

3 This is up to you, there are PSU extension cables available with different colored sleeving I believe if I'm not wrong. And with this you would just tuck away the rest of it (the regular cable of the PSU) on the bottom of the case.

4 I've seen many crazy things done to PC cases, it all just comes to the user. Just make sure you plan very well that an acrylic sheet would fit (if you plan cutting a hole on the side panel to add one) because I dont know what you plan to show, either the whole case including the HDD cage or just the motherboard portion. Also just leave enough metal around the switches and stuff so that when you press the button the metal wont flex.

5 Im not knowlegable with closed waterloops or what have you sorry. But I do know that anything is better than the stock cooler :D

6 YES! theres this thing called "PlastiDip" by performix (Available in Black, White, Red, Gunmetal Grey, and Clear (but its a Matte Finish unless you add the clear coat I believe.), you could watch videos on youtube about it. You just build enough paint layers and when you dont want it anymore, you can just peel it off (but i suggest you just try a small part to see if it will affect the case's finish or not). there are tips and such that are explained in the videos. and theres also film but I don't know if thats removable.

Great build, very similar to mine and I love your Washburn (the guitar :D )

The only thing I would have done differently (well, that I DID do differently lol) is use a 230mm fan in the front instead of the 2x 120s because it's quieter.

I also put dust filters and intake fans in the top.

But really nice build, excellent choice of components for your first self-built rig :D

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1 Dusty room perhaps? haha jk :P you could switch the fans, exhaust on the front and intake on top. (im not familiar with the case but dust filters can be bought seperately for 120mm and 140mm fans i believe silverstone has some)

2 could add interior lighting? LED strips, you could buy it for cheaps and just fabricate a connector for it, whether its molex or sata (if you know how to solder, just make sure the voltage for the strips is 12v) there are also kits available. OR you can disconnect the power LED and done (if the fan leds are on then the case is on, right?)

3 This is up to you, there are PSU extension cables available with different colored sleeving I believe if I'm not wrong. And with this you would just tuck away the rest of it (the regular cable of the PSU) on the bottom of the case.

4 I've seen many crazy things done to PC cases, it all just comes to the user. Just make sure you plan very well that an acrylic sheet would fit (if you plan cutting a hole on the side panel to add one) because I dont know what you plan to show, either the whole case including the HDD cage or just the motherboard portion. Also just leave enough metal around the switches and stuff so that when you press the button the metal wont flex.

5 Im not knowlegable with closed waterloops or what have you sorry. But I do know that anything is better than the stock cooler :D

6 YES! theres this thing called "PlastiDip" by performix (Available in Black, White, Red, Gunmetal Grey, and Clear (but its a Matte Finish unless you add the clear coat I believe.), you could watch videos on youtube about it. You just build enough paint layers and when you dont want it anymore, you can just peel it off (but i suggest you just try a small part to see if it will affect the case's finish or not). there are tips and such that are explained in the videos. and theres also film but I don't know if thats removable.

Thanks.

Those are some really good ideas. Need to really think it through before I try something permanent on the case itself. But I will look into the LED strips and the PlastiDip.

Great build, very similar to mine and I love your Washburn (the guitar :D )

The only thing I would have done differently (well, that I DID do differently lol) is use a 230mm fan in the front instead of the 2x 120s because it's quieter.

I also put dust filters and intake fans in the top.

But really nice build, excellent choice of components for your first self-built rig :D

Thanks, the guitar is old but still going well :).

I thought a single 230mm would be louder, my mistake. So your front and top fans are intakes and your back fan is exhaust?

Also, have you ever had to clean it out? Do you clean with everything in there or do you disassemble everything?

So your front and top fans are intakes and your back fan is exhaust?

Also, have you ever had to clean it out? Do you clean with everything in there or do you disassemble everything?

Yeah, 230mm intake in front, 2x 120mm intake + filters in top, 140mm exhaust in back.

I did have to clean it quite often in the beginning before I added the filters. Now I clean it once a month. I remove all the covers and doors and graphics card when I clean it.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Sounds good, although its a pain to disconnect the front panel connectors :(

On another tangent, is there any way to switch the power and hd LEDs with different colored ones? Green ones would look pretty sweet :D

Sounds good, although its a pain to disconnect the front panel connectors :(

On another tangent, is there any way to switch the power and hd LEDs with different colored ones? Green ones would look pretty sweet :D

Yeah its possible, if you can take that piece apart. All you have to do is measure the current that goes to the LED (i believe its 1.93v not sure but use a multimeter to check, if you have one).  You could just I guess replace it but that'll just shorten the lifespan of the LED if it doesnt have the propper resistor, different colored LED's require different resistors. Some LED's already come with some sort of resistor built in I believe.

It looks pretty good, I just don't like the keyboard. For $80 you could get a Blackwidow Tournament Edition, the best keyboard I've used (even better than the Blackwidow Ultimate for $130), but instead you got a $250 non-mechanical chiclet keyboard.  :mellow:

It looks pretty good, I just don't like the keyboard. For $80 you could get a Blackwidow Tournament Edition, the best keyboard I've used (even better than the Blackwidow Ultimate for $130), but instead you got a $250 non-mechanical chiclet keyboard.  :mellow:

Nope the keyboard is not the $250 ultimate. Its the $80 elite version. But I do now i should have gone with a mechanical. I was just too used to the apple keyboard to move away from chiclet keys. :(

Should I go for a ducky or cm storm? I really like the ducky shine 2's but its really expensive.

OOOO that's a hard one, I went for a Ducky Zero because it was cheap... but the shines do look pretty awesome

I was caught in between the CM storm and ducky as well. Listen to what your wallet says... Not your mind... Actually if you can afford it get the ducky... They're awesome.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

OOOO that's a hard one, I went for a Ducky Zero because it was cheap... but the shines do look pretty awesome

I was caught in between the CM storm and ducky as well. Listen to what your wallet says... Not your mind... Actually if you can afford it get the ducky... They're awesome.

Don't think I can get one anytime soon :(. Where can I get one from though? Love the tenkeyless shine as then I can carry it around.

Also consider purchasing the Prodigy windowed panel.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36925

Then move the case so that its front is toward the monitor, then you'll have a better view of the interior.

It looks nice but wont it restrict the airflow to my gtx 660?