We need another sub-forum

Frugivore8894
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

We don't get enough traffic to warrant a new subforum for those. Hobby Electronics is the appropriate section for that type of content/material. 

This has probably come up before but I really feel that we need a place for CNC milling, 3D printing, 3D molding, laser cutting, and other similar stuff (basic at anything that has to do with CAD and 3D modeling. We have hobby electronics but I think there needs to be a more specific place for this. It could be a place to ask for help with models, questions about devices, design logs, and a place to share cool or useful models you found. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

We don't get enough traffic to warrant a new subforum for those. Hobby Electronics is the appropriate section for that type of content/material. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Was gonna ask same, does Hobby Electronics get too much content that "maker-threads" get lost in the others.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Does an extra forum cost that much to create/maintain?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

13 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Does an extra forum cost that much to create/maintain?

The reason is quite opposite. Is there point of having empty and dead subforums? More division would make it even harder for new members to find correct place to post. For example Operating Systems subforum is fairly often used for threads that would belong to Windows subforum.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Perhaps a rename from the very specific "hobby electronics" to something a bit broader? I can see why people wouldn't want to discuss 3d printer and modelling stuff in there.

Maybe something like "The Maker Space"?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

13 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Perhaps a rename from the very specific "hobby electronics" to something a bit broader? I can see why people wouldn't want to discuss 3d printer and modelling stuff in there.

Maybe something like "The Maker Space"?

This I could see and get behind. Like instead of "Hobby Electronics" something like "Hobbies & Electronics" and a quick description of the subforum to state some use cases like 3d printing, RC cars etc... 

I can see how this is like this currently as it was likely implemented before 3d printing really became a viable thing for people and has only really picked up a ton of traction over the last 3 or 4 years. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

This I could see and get behind. Like instead of "Hobby Electronics" something like "Hobbies & Electronics" and a quick description of the subforum to state some use cases like 3d printing, RC cars etc... 

I can see how this is like this currently as it was likely implemented before 3d printing really became a viable thing for people and has only really picked up a ton of traction over the last 3 or 4 years. 

Not being native speaker might contribute, but I read "electronics" to mean more than just RPi and other tinkering. I would categorise under that 3D printers (which were one of the original targets for the subforum), RC stuff, custom arcade cabinets etc.

Problem with making it more wide (be it with "Hobbies &" or "Maker Space") is that then it would include things where tech isn't playing as big or any role at all. Which then makes it more off topic for this forum as a whole. And that then would weaken arguments against having subforums for cars for example.

Adding more detailed description for current subforum name is better overall imo.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv