Yamaha RX-675 arc issues/firmware update problems

TashaTime

So my parents got a new Sony x85J tv at my recommendation. When my dad set up the old TV he didn't know about ARC or maybe the TV didn't support it. I believe arc should allow sound from the smart TV to go to the surround sound. There are HDMI cables running through the wall that we are set on using. I did get a brief look at a cable and it was labeled 1080p too bad. But I believe it might support arc. I don't know how to confirm. On the TV I set it to auto on E-arc. (there was no on option). And I also changed the setting from TV speakers to stereo. My dad was the one who went in to the back of the receiver and up a ladder to the TV (it is above the fireplace. That's not where I put it). He says there is a cable going from hdmi out 1 on the receiver to hdmi 3 on the TV. The "out" is confusing but that is what it said on the manual. Then I started mess with the reciver. Some people with receivers also around the same time period had to update there firmware (to get arc). Do do that I have seen two sets of instruction. I tried them both. One said to have the receiver in standby. Which I am interrupting as turned off by the power button. Then it says to hold the straight button on the physical receiver. Then it says to push the power button. Then it says to let go of the power button while continuing to hold the straight button. Then it should say advanced set up or have some kind of ohm thing. When it appears you let go of the straight button. I did all of that. Nothing appeared on the screen. I also heard that pushes the straight button repeatedly might work. I spammed the button and pushed it slowly. Nothing worked. Any tips to get to this menu. I know nothing about receivers I have only used a sound bar personally.

tldr: how do I verify an hdmi cable going through the wall supports arc. Also I tried hard to follow instructions to update the firmware on the Yamaha receiver. I could not get into advanced setup.

Since you could see the 1080p you might be able to see a model and manufacturer mark.  With those you could just look the thing up perhaps. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.