Raspberry Pi as Plex server?

Hi all, 

I am thinking about buying a raspberry pi to make a plex server, something that can handle a 1x4K or 2x1080p streams without transcoding. I have a few questions:

1. What model and ram capacity would be good enough for my use case? Do I need to buy heatsinks/case with fans?
  2. I have an old 2.5" HDD that I took out from my laptop when I upgraded it to an SSD. How do I use it for storing the data for the server? I am guessing the Pi won't be able to deliver enough power if I try to put it in a external enclosure and connect via USB
  3. What other things I can do with the pi while it is working as a plex server?

Also if you can give links to some guides that would be helpful as I am a noobie in this department.

From here it might be work, it's using Pi 4 that's actually still a decent performer. Perhaps 2 GB ought be just enough as it won't do much other than share the folder anyway. For the heatsink/case/fan, I guess it's optional. I personally use an old laptop with 3 GB of RAM on Windows 10 to share a 1 TB 2.5 HDD just with network share (probably Plex will do the same without transcoding anyway), the fan barely spin and kept on idle even for 24/7.

23 minutes ago, AncientPistol said:

I have an old 2.5" HDD that I took out from my laptop when I upgraded it to an SSD. How do I use it for storing the data for the server? I am guessing the Pi won't be able to deliver enough power if I try to put it in a external enclosure and connect via USB

You can still use an external enclosure (make sure the enclosure support USB 3, otherwise performance wise it'd be sucks for even 1080p play), tbh I don't have any experience using Pi with external drive, but to negate that perhaps a powered (so the power came from another 5V brick) USB 3 hub ought do the job fine. Or actually, just try it firsthand from the enclosure to the Pi, you'd know when you'll need the hub.

23 minutes ago, AncientPistol said:

What other things I can do with the pi while it is working as a plex server?

Home automation I guess?

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Yeah I used my 4 as a plex server, no problems as long as you don't have to transcode. 2 external mirrored USB hard drives with all the media on it, no problems at all. I usually have no streams, 1 or 2 streams going, not more than that because I don't have a need.

Also use one as a pihole and one as a retropie. Work very well.

You could probably do plex + pihole on the same pi 4 without any problems.

I have the Cannakit 4GB RAM kits, they come with a case, power supply and fan. I like having separate pi's for the separate systems.

I'd think it might have enough power to run the external drive, but maybe not. My external drives are all powered drives.

Should be fine support wise, but there are a couple things

Make sure your format is somthing thats widely supported like h264, so the pi doesnt have to transcode.

Make sure you get a pi with a cooler, then use the built in overclocking in the config.txt in the boot partition to up it to the max speed. Thats 2147mhz on old pis, 2300mhz on the newer 8gb pis and the cm4 and pi400 iirc.

Just add

arm_freq=2147
over_voltage=6

to the bottom and it should work, that what I did with my pi4 and it was fine.

If you run a os with a gui, id also add

gpu_freq=750

to the end.

should run fine, might need to drop to 2000mhz or over_voltage more, but over_voltage past 6 voids waranty with a physical fuse and requires mroe config.txt stuff to do, so thats your choice

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

Make sure you get a pi with a cooler, then use the built in overclocking in the config.txt in the boot partition to up it to the max speed. Thats 2147mhz on old pis, 2300mhz on the newer 8gb pis and the cm4 and pi400 iirc.

Just on this, its worth noting for the OP there are 2 different revisions of the Pi4. 

The older one with the SoC 2711ZPKFSB06B0T are 1.5Ghz stock, the newer 2711ZPKFSB06C0T (the same as the Pi400) is 1.8Ghz stock so he should be mindful of this and overclock accordingly. Also don't exceed 2Ghz unless you have a cooler on it

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA